ZUMO 660 GPS mounted pics please? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ZUMO 660 GPS mounted pics please?

Have any of you designed and built your own GPS mount systems? If so please post pictures. I'm working with a ZUMO 660 but any ideas may help? Thanks

Versatile Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Okay, not the answer you wanted, but have you seen the SW-Motech anti-vib mount? I'm using the standard Garmin 665 RAM mount. It works but GPS location makes it hard to read part of the instruments and get to the key. I really like the looks of the SW-Motech for the 2015 Versys, but it puts the unit farther away.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:48 PM

I have a Mk3 2015 so there are limited off the shelf options.

For me the big issue has been the degree of vibration. My first attempt was to use the SW-Motech Mount for an iPhone above the binnacle attached to the screen frame. This vibrated so much that I was serious concerned with the phone surviving.

I then attached the 660 by using a RAM ball on the SW-Motech mount with a short arm. A longer arm restricted the lock-to-lock of the handle bars. Even with the RAM arm it still vibrated but was usable.

Now I have bought a Touratech cradle and had a bar welded onto the SW-Motech iPhone mount. The only problem is with the Touratech cradle as there is insufficient gap to get at the Garmin cradle release lever.

My 660 has Cambodian maps produced by a local company for various Aid agencies like the UN and USAID. It has no routing capabilities but is pretty accurate. I cannot use Google maps as I lose cell phone coverage at the most critical points and Google Offline Maps are not supported in Cambodia.

Traveling around Phnom Penh roads it is fine with vibration at around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm which settles out at higher rev ranges. I have yet to try on dirt roads or very bumpy country roads at high speed I will try those out next week...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-27 09.58.36.jpg (53.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-27 09.58.29.jpg (82.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-27 14.41.45.jpg (53.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-27 09.59.47.jpg (40.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by AdamG; 04-29-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarity

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I have some more research to do for sure.

Versatile Versys
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You could just replace one of your riser bolts with one of these and use a Ram Mount.....http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Moto...f_=pd_ybh_a_28

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode