Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

running rich/lean?

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Gigitt 
#1 · (Edited)
Any help appreciated. My V stalled last week, and now it keeps almost stalling, but popping back to life, during deceleration.

I do notice it runs rough, but it's really subtle. I feel a pattern like :rumble rumble rumble, smooth, rumble rumble rumble, smooth::

Each cycle of rough vibration and smooth coasting lasts about 2 seconds.

My plan is to replace spark plugs/air filter, regardless. Thanks for looking.

#2 ·
Any help appreciated. My V stalled last week, and now it keeps almost stalling, but popping back to life, during deceleration.

I do notice it runs rough, but it's really subtle. I feel a pattern like :rumble rumble rumble, smooth, rumble rumble rumble, smooth::

Each cycle of rough vibration and smooth coasting lasts about 2 seconds.

My plan is to replace spark plugs/air filter, regardless. Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXxLa94bis
On Victories, it was quite common after diddling with the fueling to get them to stall just like that. Even happened to me after I added a fuel controller to richen it up a bit. Mine actually died once taking off and caused me to drop the 800 lb monstrosity.
I'll vote for too little air getting in the mix. Could be a vaccum leak or clogged filter. In either case, it's probably worth the money to have a pro makes sure its fixed right. I'm sure they see that kinda thing regularly. Too big a safety risk to screw with IMHO.

#3 · (Edited)
What year is you bike? How many miles? Service history?
Sounds electrical to me. Could be as simple as loose ground. Check the battery negative terminal first, these often come loose or corrode. Check your battery voltage with ignition off, ignition on, and engine running. Sometimes the stator fails on the versys. While the spark plugs seem to last forever, some have had problems with the stick coils. What gas are you using, and how long has it been sitting in the bike. Some problems have been solved by draining the tank and running fresh quality gas. Maybe you had water condensation over the winter which is causing problems.

#4 ·
Check idle is 1300 rpm
Check electrical grounds
Check throttle body sync
Check spark plugs/gaps

after all these then read about TPS adjust (Throttle Position Sensor).
rotating it a teeny bit clockwise can richen the low rpm stumbles.

there is also a throttle body hose mod that links the nipples used for testing TBSync vacuum.

Have you done anything else to the bike? exhaust can? pair valve mod?

#5 ·
Check idle is 1300 rpm

after all these then read about TPS adjust (Throttle Position Sensor).
rotating it a teeny bit clockwise can richen the low rpm stumbles.

Have you done anything else to the bike? exhaust can? pair valve mod?
Thanks, I forgot about that little screw. The one with the yellow paint on it, right?

Idle is fine, I adjust with the screw as my bike warms up and needs to be raised. I keep it at what I believe is 1300-1400 (book says 1350)

What year is you bike? How many miles? Service history?
Sounds electrical to me. Could be as simple as loose ground. Check the battery negative terminal first, these often come loose or corrode. Check your battery voltage with ignition off, ignition on, and engine running. Sometimes the stator fails on the versys. While the spark plugs seem to last forever, some have had problems with the stick coils. What gas are you using, and how long has it been sitting in the bike. Some problems have been solved by draining the tank and running fresh quality gas. Maybe you had water condensation over the winter which is causing problems.
2011, 10k. oil changes every 2k. The bike was stored, as usual, with a full tank of gas and stabil, to prevent condensation. I ran through 3 full tanks of gas SINCE using that stabilized one up. I have sent a few shots of Lucas fuel injector cleaner through a tank, also.

Battery positive is corroded. Factory battery, will replace. Going to get an air cleaner element and battery, and go from there. Thanks for the help guys

#6 · (Edited)
Start by sanding off the oxidation on TOP of battery poles, and wipe them clean of dust... Clean also underneath battery connectors, then get it on tight with 10mm wrench or socket.

I'm still running on original 2007 Yuasa battery which was made in China!

No need to replace your air filter element. It was designed to be washable and re-oiled a few times... Start with these and see how she runs.

You are due for new spark plugs... You may consider checking your valve clearances before vacuum synchronizing your throttle bodies which are also due.

#7 ·
I know this is an old thread , but since I just went through this myself with my 2007 Versys 650 after air filter and spark plugs change at 21000k.... Im happy to say I found the solution. 👍

Mine was also idling up and down to the point of stalling, ran poor, consumed a ton of gas.etc.😞

After dismantling the second time I found the right vaccum hose was off on the throttlebody. After hooking It up and reinstalling / seating the airbox, it came off again and three times this happened. The Tiny hoses are tight under the airbox and it can get caught up and pull the tiny hose off a gain and again ...and after fiddling with them three times to get them tucked out if the way and re installing the air box , it stayed on. Tested it after just getting the tank mounted Back to fire up the bike and problem fixed.
Hope this helps others . I think this is a common Gen 1 Versys problem. 🤨

PS, I have Worked as a parts person for 13 years at a motorcycle shop and even though I have the OEM service manual and even watched some helpful videos. Not one person mentioned one the throttle body vacuum hoses could come off with the air box removal . Had to find out the hard way. 😒

#8 ·
Thanks for sharing something else to check.

I have had my Gen2 tank off many times and never has the hoses come off.

I know some people have cut the hard ends off the hose so the end is soft and grip when put back onto the tubes, but you can only shorten them so much before the tiniest jiggle could pop them off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.