running rich/lean? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
running rich/lean?

Any help appreciated. My V stalled last week, and now it keeps almost stalling, but popping back to life, during deceleration.

I do notice it runs rough, but it's really subtle. I feel a pattern like :rumble rumble rumble, smooth, rumble rumble rumble, smooth::

Each cycle of rough vibration and smooth coasting lasts about 2 seconds.

My plan is to replace spark plugs/air filter, regardless. Thanks for looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sonofnothing; 04-27-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
Any help appreciated. My V stalled last week, and now it keeps almost stalling, but popping back to life, during deceleration.

I do notice it runs rough, but it's really subtle. I feel a pattern like :rumble rumble rumble, smooth, rumble rumble rumble, smooth::

Each cycle of rough vibration and smooth coasting lasts about 2 seconds.

My plan is to replace spark plugs/air filter, regardless. Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXxLa94bis
On Victories, it was quite common after diddling with the fueling to get them to stall just like that. Even happened to me after I added a fuel controller to richen it up a bit. Mine actually died once taking off and caused me to drop the 800 lb monstrosity.
I'll vote for too little air getting in the mix. Could be a vaccum leak or clogged filter. In either case, it's probably worth the money to have a pro makes sure its fixed right. I'm sure they see that kinda thing regularly. Too big a safety risk to screw with IMHO.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
What year is you bike? How many miles? Service history?
Sounds electrical to me. Could be as simple as loose ground. Check the battery negative terminal first, these often come loose or corrode. Check your battery voltage with ignition off, ignition on, and engine running. Sometimes the stator fails on the versys. While the spark plugs seem to last forever, some have had problems with the stick coils. What gas are you using, and how long has it been sitting in the bike. Some problems have been solved by draining the tank and running fresh quality gas. Maybe you had water condensation over the winter which is causing problems.

Last edited by IAMRA; 04-28-2016 at 01:14 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check idle is 1300 rpm
Check electrical grounds
Check throttle body sync
Check spark plugs/gaps

after all these then read about TPS adjust (Throttle Position Sensor).
rotating it a teeny bit clockwise can richen the low rpm stumbles.

there is also a throttle body hose mod that links the nipples used for testing TBSync vacuum.

Have you done anything else to the bike? exhaust can? pair valve mod?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Check idle is 1300 rpm

after all these then read about TPS adjust (Throttle Position Sensor).
rotating it a teeny bit clockwise can richen the low rpm stumbles.

Have you done anything else to the bike? exhaust can? pair valve mod?
Thanks, I forgot about that little screw. The one with the yellow paint on it, right?

Idle is fine, I adjust with the screw as my bike warms up and needs to be raised. I keep it at what I believe is 1300-1400 (book says 1350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
What year is you bike? How many miles? Service history?
Sounds electrical to me. Could be as simple as loose ground. Check the battery negative terminal first, these often come loose or corrode. Check your battery voltage with ignition off, ignition on, and engine running. Sometimes the stator fails on the versys. While the spark plugs seem to last forever, some have had problems with the stick coils. What gas are you using, and how long has it been sitting in the bike. Some problems have been solved by draining the tank and running fresh quality gas. Maybe you had water condensation over the winter which is causing problems.
2011, 10k. oil changes every 2k. The bike was stored, as usual, with a full tank of gas and stabil, to prevent condensation. I ran through 3 full tanks of gas SINCE using that stabilized one up. I have sent a few shots of Lucas fuel injector cleaner through a tank, also.

Battery positive is corroded. Factory battery, will replace. Going to get an air cleaner element and battery, and go from there. Thanks for the help guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Start by sanding off the oxidation on TOP of battery poles, and wipe them clean of dust... Clean also underneath battery connectors, then get it on tight with 10mm wrench or socket.

I'm still running on original 2007 Yuasa battery which was made in China!

No need to replace your air filter element. It was designed to be washable and re-oiled a few times... Start with these and see how she runs.

You are due for new spark plugs... You may consider checking your valve clearances before vacuum synchronizing your throttle bodies which are also due.

Last edited by invader; 04-28-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode