• 1 Post By IAMRA
  • 1 Post By IAMRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
I bought the Admore LED kit for the GIVI rear case. I like the idea of not cutting into the original wiring. Where did you obtain the correct connectors for the tail light?
My 2015 uses Sumitomo 3 pin MT .090 connectors. I used these to make a harness for the same reason.
Motorcycle MT .090 Sealed Series - Connector and Terminals
Scroll halfway down the page and find "MT 090-3C
zirconx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM

For turn signal on 2009 I had Sumitomo .050 connectors

Sumitomo .050 connectors

Not sure yet if 2015 has the same, but I'll check soon.

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Adding another brake light to my '15 650LT

I'm in the process of making an aluminum rack to (occasionally) add to my 'Genuine Kawasaki Rack' that I recently put onto my '15 for just this purpose. The rack mirrors what I had on the GREEN HORNET for carrying the tent, sleeping-bag, etc I carry on long trips such as D2D.

When I got home w/ the 20" x 24" piece and laid it onto the rack, I saw that the stock tail-lights are rather 'hidden', then on removing the aluminum piece and looking AGAIN, discovered that the tail-lights are pretty much hidden w, JUST the Kawi rack on....

Got back on the GREEN HORNET TOO, and 'toodled' down to Princess Auto to see what they had for LED lights. After about 45 minutes comparing them I decided to get this:

then rode by the place where I got the aluminum, and picked up a foot-long piece of aluminum angle, 1" x 1".

I spent half an hour measuring, then determined I could cut it to about the same 9 5/8" as the light,

Next I looked at the wiring diagram, determined that the brake light is powered by a blue/red-trace wire which I 'tapped' into, running the ground to a convenient bolt at the rear of the seat pan area, drilled two 1/4" holes into the Kawi rack lower piece, 'rattle-canned' the aluminum angle black and mounted it to the rear of the Kawi rack.

and here's what it looks like.

Here's w/ running lights

and brakes ON.

FWIW - light cost $25CDN (tax in.); paint, wire, tape, connectors maybe $2; aluminum angle free.

-

I SUGGEST that you w/ Gen 3s take a GOOD look at your visibility from the rear.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks Ed!

That's a good point, I'm also planning to add something more visible in the back, now that the Givi trunk is in the back.
I'm thinking to put it behind the plate, so it won't block the view of the OEM brake light, but I have to see how

Also, I found this video, the guy is using the same light to give dual intensity, running light and brake: (I didn't try it yet)
dual intensity motorcycle brake/tail light

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What color wire do you tap into under the seat. I couldn't exactly tell from your photo. I have an LED brake light bar I want to install. It mounts on the lower lisc plate holes.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
His qoute. "Next I looked at the wiring diagram, determined that the brake light is powered by a blue/red-trace wire which I 'tapped' into, running the ground to a convenient bolt"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Cool thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo View Post
Next I looked at the wiring diagram, determined that the brake light is powered by a blue/red-trace wire which I 'tapped' into, running the ground to a convenient bolt

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 03:31 PM

I didn't want to tap into the original harness when I installed my Back-Off module, so I bought the connectors and I made a loop.
not very clear photo, but you can see the 2 original connectors (black) and my 2 new connectors white.
Black/yellow is ground, red is running light and blue (middle position) is brake light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160319_150503.jpg (79.3 KB, 198 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for the double post. I thought the photos would be appropriate for this thread as well.
Original Post
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1128058

Givi E135 LED Brake Light Kit for V47 Top Cases
Custom Dynamics MagicFlex2 9" stip (cut off 3 LEDs to fit)
Custom Dynamics Plate Frames with LED TruFLEX® Light Bar & LED Plate Illumination

Photo 1: harness tapping into taillight.
Photo 2: diodes/resistor sets in green heat shrink. One set runs the topcase and the other runs the license plate. I added an extra resistor (red heat shrink) to the license plate to balance running lights.
Photo 3: The nest. I used so many connectors for testing and troubleshooting.
Photo 4: I was going to shorten the wires and solder connections, but it all stuffs nicely into the boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img5.jpg (42.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg img6.jpg (61.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg img8.jpg (65.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg img9.jpg (71.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg img1.jpg (70.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg img2.jpg (38.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg img3.jpg (38.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg img4.jpg (49.6 KB, 206 views)
onewizard and chid like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice IAMRA.
I want to install E135 onto my Givi V47 on my 2015 Versys 650 LT. Any special trick you know of or instructions comes with kit?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxversys View Post
Nice IAMRA.
I want to install E135 onto my Givi V47 on my 2015 Versys 650 LT. Any special trick you know of or instructions comes with kit?
Instructions come with. Wiring very easy. Need to drill two small holes for wires at marked locations under the lens. The only tricky part is knocking out the plugs where the quick connections install. Some people drill them out, but they will come out cleanly with an hard hammer blow. The tricky part is not denting the aluminum plate on the top of the case, while you hit the bottom with a hammer. I removed the aluminum top plate, just to be safe, and placed case upside down on some firm foam. I placed a metal racket handle with deep socket on top of the plug, and gave it a serious hammer blow. Knocking out the plug on the carrier plate of the rack is easier. Do this one first so you know how much force is needed. Also, one side of the quick connects are spring loaded, so take note that you wires move smoothly through the housing.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 PM

Very nice!!

you could use the horizontal LEDs as a turn signal too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
Sorry for the double post. I thought the photos would be appropriate for this thread as well.
Original Post
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1128058

Givi E135 LED Brake Light Kit for V47 Top Cases
Custom Dynamics MagicFlex2 9" stip (cut off 3 LEDs to fit)
Custom Dynamics Plate Frames with LED TruFLEX® Light Bar & LED Plate Illumination

Photo 1: harness tapping into taillight.
Photo 2: diodes/resistor sets in green heat shrink. One set runs the topcase and the other runs the license plate. I added an extra resistor (red heat shrink) to the license plate to balance running lights.
Photo 3: The nest. I used so many connectors for testing and troubleshooting.
Photo 4: I was going to shorten the wires and solder connections, but it all stuffs nicely into the boot.

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Great thread! Lot's of useful info.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I didn't want to tap into the original harness when I installed my Back-Off module, so I bought the connectors and I made a loop.
not very clear photo, but you can see the 2 original connectors (black) and my 2 new connectors white.
Black/yellow is ground, red is running light and blue (middle position) is brake light.
Resurrecting an old thread here - do you know the name/model of the connectors? I would like to buy some to do the same thing to my 2015 650 Versys. I see Eastern Beaver sells a ton of connectors, but I'm not sure which one I need.
Connectors

Thanks.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Check Posts 1&2

Search "signal connectors" user; IAMRA find post by. I have copied to this thread and led sticky thread also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode