Bar end mirrors ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By trialsguy
  • 1 Post By ATYC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar end mirrors ?

I have searched posts and couldn't find definitive answers.
I am interested in bar end mirrors to replace my stocks that are awful but I have a few questions for anyone who has done this:
1) can you actually see what's behind you with these?
2) if you have to remove the bar ends how does it affect the vibes? My 08 is already vibey and am worried about removing
If anyone could recommend brand of mirrors or has pics I would greatly appreciate it.
Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhauser77 View Post
I am interested in bar end mirrors to replace my stocks that are awful but I have a few questions for anyone who has done this:
2) if you have to remove the bar ends how does it affect the vibes? My 08 is already vibey and am worried about removing
If anyone could recommend brand of mirrors or has pics I would greatly appreciate it.
Thx.
What year is your bike ?

LOP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thx.
I put bar end mirrors on my '08 V last year, and I still have them on. I also put aftermarket handlebars on at the same time. The new bars are hollow on the ends, so the bar end mirrors slip right in.

Pros - 1) They were easy to install. 2) yes - I can see most everything beside and behind me, both right and left - better than stock. (I even had mirror extenders on the stock mirrors, which helped the stock mirrors a lot). 3) They are both "wide angle" so they capture everything. 4) They are much lighter than stock. 5) They don't vibrate like the stock mirrors. They are much clearer. 6) They are inexpensive enough to try (Ebay). 7) I like the new look it gives my 8 year old V. 8) Surprisingly, the view angle is so wide that my right mirror can see what's in the lanes two lanes over to my left! So once I got used to it, I spend let time checking each mirror.

Cons - 1) If you like to ride above the speed limit a lot, the small wide angle mirror makes vehicles appear smaller and farther away, so I can't see enough detail in the mirror to discern if a trailing vehicle is a law enforcement type vehicle (tracking me). 2) I sometimes bump into them in the garage, cause they stick out. But they are easy enough to readjust.

I did not notice any more or less vibration in the bars. It did feel a little different, but not annoying. I did notice that the new mirrors are always clear, no buzzy-fuzzy images ever.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Were you able to put bar ends back in or not? I have seen some mirrors that allow the bar ends to be replaced back.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Jeff, I put them on my 09 and used them off and on the last 2 seasons. The bike really looks different with the stock screen and bar ends. Like the other reader commented, you cannot see things as well, and you have to glance down versus forward with regular mirrors.

I installed them with a set of Rhino Tech bar ends that have a groove to hold the CMG lane splitter mirrors that connect to the bar end with a swivel so they can be closed in in tight areas. I have an extra set of the mirrors that I'll post up for sale, and they come with an insert to affix to inside of the bar if you decide to go without the other type of bar ends, like the Rhino's. I recently installed some Acerbis Dual Road hand guards that only attach to the bar end, and left the Rhino's in with the intention of changing back to the bar end mirrors later this summer. Just had to get a slightly longer bolt.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Are the bar ends on the V different from others? The mirrors I see online have an expanding "sleeve" that goes into the bar. When I remove my bar end, there is only space for the bolt. There isn't enough room to fit the sleeve in. Am I missing something? Sorry, new to all this...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, here are 2 pics to go with last question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1461091472912.jpg (8.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg image_1461091487413.jpg (5.8 KB, 97 views)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Were you able to put bar ends back in or not? I have seen some mirrors that allow the bar ends to be replaced back.
I didn't put the bar end weights back on. They don't seem to be needed. I don't have an issue with vibration. When I get home tonight I will check if it is possible to add them onto the mirror anchors. But I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, here are 2 pics to go with last question
Those are the mirrors that I put on about a year ago.

You are correct - the stock V handle bars are not hollow on the ends. They are threaded to accept the bolt that holds the end weights (obviously).

I removed the stock handlebars from my V and replaced them with aftermarket bars that are a bit lower and more forward. It worked out well, cause they accepted the bar end mirrors.

What do you find unacceptable with the stock mirrors? Have you tried "Speedy's" mirror extenders? They move the mirror stalks about 2" to the outside so that you can see around your shoulders to see what's going on behind you.

Of course, you'd still have to pull in the clutch and coast at idle (temporarily) to see if that sedan that's following you is a cop.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM

The vibrations of the 650 Versys are not a problem. They're a feature!
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

My issue with the mirrors are simply they don't stay put. Not sure if it's a vibe issue or just an issue with mirrors. I tighten with wrench but when I hit the street, they move forward and are basically pointing inside towards each other. I'm not someone who is driven solely by aesthetics I assumed the bar end mirrors would actually allow me to see better.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
My issue with the mirrors are simply they don't stay put. Not sure if it's a vibe issue or just an issue with mirrors. I tighten with wrench but when I hit the street, they move forward and are basically pointing inside towards each other. I'm not someone who is driven solely by aesthetics I assumed the bar end mirrors would actually allow me to see better.
Get yourself a set of the Aprillia Tuono mirrors and the mirror extenders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ahhh! I had that same issue back in 2008. I recall disassembling each mirror/stem, cleaned the threads, and then applied blue locktite to all the threads, reassembled, and carefully tightened everything. I vaguely recall having to do this twice. Then no problems for the next several years.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Garage
I went with a cheap and simple replacement. These mirrors are about $30 or less and readily available on ebay and other on-line sources. I pulled off the bar ends then installed these mirrors using the OEM bolts from the bar ends. Though they have some weight, they are not quite as heavy as the bar ends and I do feel a slight bit more vibe with them.

The lens area is smaller than stock but, once positioned, they show an excellent view of the rear and only a tiny slash of my elbows can be seen in the corners. Also, they are very solid and have almost no blur at any RPM. I've tried 5 other styles of mirrors (including stock) on my '09, and these are the ones I am most happy with and will be sticking with.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
...Of course, you'd still have to pull in the clutch and coast at idle (temporarily) to see if that sedan that's following you is a cop.
NOT if you put a set of Tuono (or later model Kawi ones) on. My '15 mirrors are as good as the Tuonos, and far enough apart that I don't need extenders.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Garage
I've had bar end mirrors on bikes in the past and really liked the view. They folded up to aid clearing doorways etc and were quite heavy and strong with a clear, non-vibrating view. They were British and I used them on Norton Commandos. Not sure what the brand name was.

These look interesting but quite spendy. They appear to be attached to the bar end weights and can be used in several positions, plus they too rotate to clear narrow doorways etc.

CRG - Constructors Racing Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode