Correct Setup and Voltage for USB - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AdventureSeeker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Correct Setup and Voltage for USB

I have an 08 V. I already have a Battery Tender Jr and a "Backoff" brake light set running off the battery, as well as Oxford Heated Grips. I would like to be able to install some kind of USB plug to use for auxiliary devices, but I'm not sure how to go about it without piling still more stuff onto the battery terminals. I also don't want to risk putting more of a drain on the battery than the alternator can keep up with.
How should I go about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You need a 12v to 5v converter. I use one of these, although there are cheaper alternatives.
https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-power...device-charger

Here are a couple of good threads for connection.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1024905
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1019113
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Real simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I have an 08 V. I already have a Battery Tender Jr and a "Backoff" brake light set running off the battery, as well as Oxford Heated Grips. I would like to be able to install some kind of USB plug to use for auxiliary devices, but I'm not sure how to go about it without piling still more stuff onto the battery terminals. I also don't want to risk putting more of a drain on the battery than the alternator can keep up with.
How should I go about this?
I had a 07, very similar, if you take the left side cowling off, look for the vacuum sensor , it is mounted on a bracket, plenty of room to wire tie / tywrap a 12 volt cigarette waterproof socket here, you can get the USB adapters that plug into here or most devices come with a car charger. What you can do is tap into the city lights, less than a foot away, they are on with the tail light, fuse size is 10 amp, it is keyed and protected, you can go further and install the Philips Vision LED bulbs that reduce the city lights from 5 watt to 1 watt each, I posted that in the technical forum. I would reach down and plug in my GPS into that socket. You can get velcro tape style ties that you just wrap around stuff, I would use a couple around the clutch cable, so the charger cable doesn't get caught, and a second around a mirror post.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
As a sidebar, EVEN if you plug in the newest, fanciest, greatest phone or tablet, you'll be pulling about 3A @ 5V, not something your battery or alternator will have any issues with unless you do something silly like short it to ground.
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Equal to 1/3 Power Of 1 City light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
As a sidebar, EVEN if you plug in the newest, fanciest, greatest phone or tablet, you'll be pulling about 3A @ 5V, not something your battery or alternator will have any issues with unless you do something silly like short it to ground.
One caution, do not connect to a unswitched source, these adapters are a switching mode / regulated output, they draw 0.012 to 0.033 amps, doesn't sound like much, but after a week chances are your bike won't start. And when I say they draw this energy, that is with no load, not a very efficient device but that is $5 China USB adapter rated 5 VDC at 3 amp out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode