Can I add a thumb throttle to the left side? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Can I add a thumb throttle to the left side?

My elbow hurts after an hour, I have 2" risers and probably need to move them back a bit. Is it possible to have a left thumb throttle and the normal twisty?

I'm looking to use the thumb throttle only for maintaining speed and some accel/decel control while I rest the right, not for rowing through the gears or any serious riding. I'm not sure if this is possible on these bikes due to the one throttle cable.

I have a 'cruise' clip thing to hold the throttle but that is scary to use and needs a lot of screwing around to turn it 'on' temporarily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
get a throttle assist puts some of the pressure on your palm so you dont have to grip as hard

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Read the thread but didn't see anything related to a thumb throttle. When I'm cruising the throttle is wide open with my tips resting on it and my wrist dropped low, I barely grip the thing even when riding normally. It's mainly my elbow position that causes pain. I ride no hands a lot to stretch but I still have elbow pain. I have big hands so I figure I don't need to grip as much anyways.

When I wear my thin mechanix gloves I get cramps in both hands, happened with proper riding gloves years ago too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Then your main problem is the vibrations transmitted through stock steel handlebars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What year is your Versys? The main cause is the cheap steel handlebars. I never even bothered with them, and started with tapered aluminum handlebars on my then new 2007... You can get a Rox pivoting adjustable handlebar riser which can also be an adapter for tapered aluminum handlebars. I've never had numbing problems, and my stock mirrors always showed a clear image... It's even better now with billet aluminum mirrors which are also more aerodynamic.

Riding with a loose grip will get you in deep trouble when you least expect it.
Rox Speed FX Dual Sport Pivot Bar Risers 2" x 1 1 8" Clamp Bar 1R P2PP Natural | eBay

Rox Speed FX Elite Pivot Bar Risers 2" x 7 8" x 7 8" 1 1 8" 1R P2SEK Black | eBay

hurleymotorsports | eBay

Also, I was having upper back and shoulder problems until I realized my rear wheel was misaligned. This was confirmed with a straight edge on rear sprocket. Mine has to be ahead on the right side by half the distance between swingarm alignment marks to be properly aligned. It is a common problem with the Versys. Many use a Motion Pro chain alignment tool.

Last edited by invader; 04-17-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode