2015 650 chain lubrication - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2015 650 chain lubrication

How do you guys lubricate the chain? Without a centre stand, it makes it difficult to spin the wheel. Looking underneath, I can't see where you could jack it up.

Regards,
Ranga

2015 650L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
IMG_1503 by weljo2001, on Flickr
saddlebag and ryangus like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
As you said, it is much more difficult to lube the chain without a stand. I have read on this forum that the muffler is strong enough for a jack, some build wooden frame to place between the muffler and the jack to stabilize. I use a pit bull spooled rear stand. The thing is rock solid.
Pit Bull Products - Motorcycle Stands Spooled Forward Handle Rear, Motorcycle Stand
Many on this forum also recommend the one from Harbor Freight for $29.99. Don't buy the Venom rear stand, as it hits the reflector on the rear fender. The 2015 takes an 8mm swing arm spool for the stand. Previous generations take a 10mm spool.
ryangus likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Spools for your swing arm are dirt cheap on Ebay. The swing arm is already threaded for these.

It is easier to work on the bike with a rear pit stand than a center stand. Once you have a rear pit stand you will not miss the lack of a center stand.

BTW for Canadians reading this thread, I would also like to recommend the Harbour Freight stand shown in Weljo's post. It is available cheap at Princess Auto in Canada.
ryangus likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-12-2016 at 09:11 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 PM

If you just have to do it without jacks or stands, here is what I do. I mark the link that is as far forward on the lower part of the chain with a red Sharpie. Then I lube from there back to the rear sprocket. I took a big paperclip and bent it open to sort of a V. I hang that through the chain where the red mark is and then roll the Versys forward until the clip is just before the rear sprocket. I move the clip forward again to the link where I will start lubing the next section of exposed chain (no need for any more red Sharpie marks). I roll forward again until paperclip is again at rear sprocket and then lube the exposed chain and move the clip forward. I think it takes about 5 moves to get the whole chain. Of course you will know you are done when the red mark appears again on your last roll forward.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgPpLKCUlbA

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
As you said, it is much more difficult to lube the chain without a stand. I have read on this forum that the muffler is strong enough for a jack, some build wooden frame to place between the muffler and the jack to stabilize. I use a pit bull spooled rear stand. The thing is rock solid.

Pit Bull Products - Motorcycle Stands Spooled Forward Handle Rear, Motorcycle Stand

Many on this forum also recommend the one from Harbor Freight for $29.99. Don't buy the Venom rear stand, as it hits the reflector on the rear fender. The 2015 takes an 8mm swing arm spool for the stand. Previous generations take a 10mm spool.

I bought a Venom because it was the only one I could find that didn't hit the rear fender reflector. Plus it only cost $40 on EBay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
I bought a Venom because it was the only one I could find that didn't hit the rear fender reflector. Plus it only cost $40 on EBay.

What year is your bike? Are you using the spooled version? The venom spooled rear stand hit the reflector on my 2015.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM

For me, I simply lube the lower portion, roll it back a bit, lube that portion, roll it back again.. Usually takes about 2 minutes to do and that is less time than it takes me to get all the crab out to get the wheel in the air.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Garage
i usually ask help to another person, i roll the bike while the other lubes the chain while rolling the bike.

GL - HF
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Buy a wheel spinner. Front or back for cleaning or lubing chain. $35. Easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spinner.jpg (14.4 KB, 76 views)
turn8a likes this.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
Buy a wheel spinner. Front or back for cleaning or lubing chain. $35. Easy.

I have one of those. Its a piece of crap........

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 12:10 PM

Location: Normally Devon, England. From 18 Feb to 2 May 16, near Reston VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

+1 to that! It's the single most useless accessory I bought since getting the bike.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
weljo2001 likes this.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
What year is your bike? Are you using the spooled version? The venom spooled rear stand hit the reflector on my 2015.

Bike is 2012.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1460606061.113691.jpg

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 PM

I have a PitBull stand, the one with the removable handle and it hits the rear reflector also.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:45 AM

Garage
Bobbins and stand at home, Pack Jack when away from home.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I have had one for years . Use to use it on all my bikes including the heavier sportster. Never had a problem . Why did you not like yours?
Biz likes this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 AM

Location: Normally Devon, England. From 18 Feb to 2 May 16, near Reston VA
My experience is that even if I have the bike propped up so that it's almost upright, when I turn the wheel, say to lube the chain, it moves across the roller towards the edge and I end up thinking that it's just to risky. I'd like it to work but in the end I think putting it up on the paddock stand is easier and safer.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I was thinking of that one myself. Very thorough and well done. Lemmy and the young guys over at Motorcyclist are really smart, articulate, and experienced advocates for our activity. Long may they make helpful videos!
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp777 View Post
I have a PitBull stand, the one with the removable handle and it hits the rear reflector also.
I mounted the reflector a few inches higher and cut off the offending part. Unless you are side by side with another bike you can't tell the difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode