Chain Alignment - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Alignment

I took delivery of a new 2015 V650 about a month ago, but have yet to ride it since I was holding off on getting a new plate until April 1st when I renew my other bikes. Thanks to the return of Winter and re-salting the roads - I still haven't ridden it.

Something I had read on here lead me to check the chain as others had reported tight adjustments from the factory/dealer. Mine was taught w/o any weight, which meant it would be even tighter w/ me on it. I had the bike up on a swingarm stand and noticed the slack, or lack of in my case, seemed about the same. Decided while I was adjusting things, I'd try out my Motion Pro chain alignment tool for the 1st time & could see things were crooked. Not terribly, but out enough to warrant a correction. I noticed the marks were significantly different from side to side, but didn't care because I adjust by flats on the cap screws. Try as I may to get the chain straight, any adjustment on the left side carried over to the right. That tells me that the system for holding the wheel in the swingarm must be plenty sturdy since it won't allow for any tweaking. Anybody else run into this? Incidentally, the difference in marks between sides was just shy of one full mark both before loosening things up initially and after getting 1 1/4" of freeplay.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2017 Triumph Street Scrambler, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nearly one full mark off? Could you confirm that your Motion pro alignment tool is well calibrated by laying a straight edge on your rear sprocket?

Did you remove the axle and any spacer? Is your rear brake caliper in proper position on the axle and in its swingarm slot?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's a machined part, but I will check it against a straight edge on the sprocket. The caliper appears to be seated & in proper position from what I can see. I can adjust the chain super loose & then start tightening the left-side adjuster. Any movement made by the left moves the right an equal amount even w/ the axle snugged to create drag. I've owned over three dozen bikes & have never run into this before. I wouldn't mind so much if the chain were straight. I'll check the tool against a straight edge & report back. Thanks for your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Nearly one full mark off? Could you confirm that your Motion pro alignment tool is well calibrated by laying a straight edge on your rear sprocket?

Did you remove the axle and any spacer? Is your rear brake caliper in proper position on the axle and in its swingarm slot?

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2017 Triumph Street Scrambler, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2

Last edited by bluesman77; 04-07-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode