Break in new tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Break in new tires

I'm pretty new to all this and I'm getting new tires next week. If anyone has a new tire break in procedure / plan they recommend I'd love to hear. (Getting Pirelli Angels if that matters). Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ride about 100 miles and ride like the roads wet even tho its dry

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhauser77 View Post
I'm pretty new to all this and I'm getting new tires next week. If anyone has a new tire break in procedure / plan they recommend I'd love to hear. (Getting Pirelli Angels if that matters). Thx
Unless you ride like a maniac, you'll likely never notice. Some tires, like Continentals, use newer techniques that don't even require mold release and hence really have no break in.
The only time I've ever noticed a new tire loosing grip was a Pilot Power on a track day. And it only got squirrely when I'd hit the concrete pad on the horseshoe at Mid-Ohio. On the asphalt turns it held fine. After about 3 laps, it stuck fine even on the concrete.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:41 PM

Be safe - do like Silvie says.... P.S. I just bought a new rear tire in October, my mechanic brother in-law just told me the tire is almost 3 years old already. You may want to ask the supplier "How fresh their tire is"...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Be safe - do like Silvie says.... P.S. I just bought a new rear tire in October, my mechanic brother in-law just told me the tire is almost 3 years old already. You may want to ask the supplier "How fresh their tire is"...
The shop that put my new tires on last fall said the same thing, though they said 5 years old. I looked at the sidewall myself and it was less than 18 months old.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM

I dont remember this feeling with new PR2, but with my new PR3 last year, it felt like I was riding on a 2" wide rail. Terrifying to even attempt to lean. I was shaken like I've never been on 2 wheels before.. Just take it easy until all of a sudden....you've forgotten about them!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
+1 Yep.

Also, before riding, make sure air pressure in tires match what the owners manual says, + or - a pound or 2.

If you want - you can also go and find a large empty parking lot that is relatively free of sand or tar snakes. Put it in 2nd gear (at a low speed) and gently ride tight circles and figure 8's to wear in the side tread. Add more lean and/or more speed as you go, over time. Gently...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've read tire manufacturers no longer use slippery mold release compound on the tread area but still shiney new tires do not offer the same grip as broken in tires. I follow what others have said, ride like it's wet out for first 100-200 miles or until treads have lost their sheen.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
And I find a fairly traffic-free road, and as long as no other vehicles are around, I zig-zag back and forth in my lane for awhile.
silviefox likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
And I find a fairly traffic-free road, and as long as no other vehicles are around, I zig-zag back and forth in my lane for awhile.
I was watching this guy's bike demo vid. He went on and on about being afraid to push it on new tires. At 18 mins into it he decides he should review the brakes and proceeds to slam on them on. Lo and behold the bike comes to an immediate halt and he praises the quality of the brakes. Guess he overlooked that it's those new slippery tires that actually slowed the bike so impressively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyGFJ4kb1Hg
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 AM

Yes, on center, which is broken in first, quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM

IN the old days running street tires on the track. We use to mount them do the warm up lap before the race than run them as hard as we could.That was also before tire warmers.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode