LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
2015 voltmeter/Oil Temp gauge install

1-1/2" VOLTMETER, 8-18V, AUTO GAGE

1-1/2" WATER TEMPERATURE, 100-280 F, AUTO GAGE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gauge1.jpg (138.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg gauge2.jpg (138.5 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg gauge3.jpg (117.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg gauge4.jpg (139.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg gauge5.jpg (176.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg gauge6.jpg (105.4 KB, 233 views)
AlaskaJeff, binderline and Wulff81 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It looks great!

I would remove the Autogage logo if possible, from both gauges - I think that it is distracting, but other than that, it looks beautiful. How hard was it to hook up the temp gauge - did it come with a sending unit? Where did you install the sending unit?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree, and would remove them if possible, but logos are under hard clear plastic. Install is very easy. Gauge comes with 1/8" sender and 3/8" adapter. I followed invaders tip and installed sender in the oil pressure access plug, which is circled in red in the photo. I ran power to the gauge from the bullet connectors located under the meter cover. An accessory relay is needed to power these connectors with the key. The gauges do not come with wiring. Manufacturer recommends minimum of 18 gauge.

Edit: While the included adapter should work fine, technically speaking, the threads on the bike are NPTF and the threads on the adapter are NPT, with a very slight difference. I used the following adapter, with a pressure rating of 1000 psi.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/83294884
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys engine.jpg (81.1 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by IAMRA; 03-27-2016 at 07:36 AM.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
More Farkles

Tried buying online, problem with shipping to Canada, will wait for a response and will also try NAPA Canada.

FYI, I can insert that in my bypass from the Thermo bob, if the dam fitting ever gets here, last attempt looks like the "Global Shipping company" lost it in their facility. Need to wait until March 30 to file for a refund. Another happy Ebay camper
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Monkey See Monkey Do

I am going to file a complaint here*** you know the saying "Monkey See, Monkey Do"
Well, I took more apart after viewing that post!

At this rate, I may not need that part for a while---and Eddie may have his shock and T Bob switched over before I get my ride working.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hindsight 20/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i though every Canuckistanian had a family member or friend crossing the border regularly and trusted to deliver items that are difficult or expensive to obtain up there on the glacier. i've shipped bike parts to USA border cities plenty of times, and they most likely ended up on the ice.

something this small, i doubt Justin would mind much.
Whatever I do now, looking at a week minimum. Unless they magically find the part. And yes , I have someone in Niagara Falls. The problem is that part isn't used by many plumbers anymore, and it is commercial, not residential, so wholesaler only. Plus the manufacturer in Canuckstan Land was cleaned out, a week to 10 days to re-manufacture--I thought this would be faster***boy was I wrong!

Last edited by onewizard; 03-27-2016 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...my bypass from the Thermo bob, if the dam-fitting ever gets here....
I'm CONFUSED Mr 'onewizard'....

WHY are you adding a "dam" to your V? WHERE are you adding said "dam"? MOST dams I've seen are concrete, or GREAT piles of dirt....

Are you SURE you need to add MORE 'avoirdupois' to your '15...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'm CONFUSED Mr 'onewizard'....

WHY are you adding a "dam" to your V? WHERE are you adding said "dam"? MOST dams I've seen are concrete, or GREAT piles of dirt....

Are you SURE you need to add MORE 'avoirdupois' to your '15...?

Come on, Dam / water, this Dam has ethylene glycol in it, don't swim in the stuff!

My Dam is sitting on a Hydraulic lift, something that didn't come with the 07--I know someone was really disappointed , however that someone would have needed that trailer that has dam near traveled around the dam world, and it doesn't float, mind you I have seen posts that appear like this culprit has ridden with knobbies on a earth Dam, mind you I could be mistaken, could have been just a water crossing , outflow from a nearby Dam
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looks awesome! I have a '13 so it's unlikely to be a trickier install (if even possible) given the space and angle limitations. Plus, I'd likely find myself looking at them all the time which would be distracting at the end of the day.
onewizard likes this.

Binderline

Last edited by binderline; 03-27-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
Looks awesome! I have a '13 so it's unlikely to be a trickier install (if even possible) given the space and angle limitations. Plus, I'd likely find myself looking at them all the time which would be distracting at the end of the day.
Yes, I definitely had gauge fixation for the first half hour, but this goes away, mainly because, once the bike is warmed-up, the gauges remain very stable, and thus, not very interesting. I look at the voltmeter twice per ride - once when I turn the key, to check the state of the battery, and once when I start the engine, to check the state of the stator. The oil temp gauge is a different story. The versys is very slow to warm up. In 55 - 60 degree weather, it takes 15 minutes to reach 190 degrees. I see a very steady, and slow, rise in temperature, and then holds stable at 190 degrees. So steady in fact, that I question the need for a thermo-bob. If i decide to modify the cooling system, I think I will once again follow invaders lead and grind down a Superstat. Invader has reported a faster warm-up with this modification.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-install.html
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Come on, Dam / water, this Dam has ethylene glycol in it, don't swim in the stuff!

My Dam is sitting on a Hydraulic lift, something that didn't come with the 07--I know someone was really disappointed , however that someone would have needed that trailer that has dam near traveled around the dam world, and it doesn't float, mind you I have seen posts that appear like this culprit has ridden with knobbies on a earth Dam, mind you I could be mistaken, could have been just a water crossing , outflow from a nearby Dam
ONEWIZARD, PM me your DAM address. I am putting together a care package for you. In addition to the connector, I'll also sent you one of these.
https://www.boschperformance.com/pro...e-kit-fst-8090
This kit includes a mechanical temperature gauge. I first installed this set, but removed because the needle on the voltmeter starts shaking above 5000 RPM. The Temp gauge does not have this problem. I have learned so much through reading you posts, I just want to give some payback.
onewizard and chid like this.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
Yes, I definitely had gauge fixation for the first half hour, but this goes away, mainly because, once the bike is warmed-up, the gauges remain very stable, and thus, not very interesting. I look at the voltmeter twice per ride - once when I turn the key, to check the state of the battery, and once when I start the engine, to check the state of the stator. The oil temp gauge is a different story. The versys is very slow to warm up. In 55 - 60 degree weather, it takes 15 minutes to reach 190 degrees. I see a very steady, and slow, rise in temperature, and then holds stable at 190 degrees. So steady in fact, that I question the need for a thermo-bob. If i decide to modify the cooling system, I think I will once again follow invaders lead and grind down a Superstat. Invader has reported a faster warm-up with this modification.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-install.html
Yes, you aren't the only one questioning my Thermo-Bob, I am asking myself that very question. If you have ever had the thermostat housing off you will understand the difficulty in this process. First it is a 8 mm open end wrench, only about 15 degrees of rotation as something is in the way for 2 of the 3 bolts. IMHO they are way over torqued, thought I was going to twist off the bolts.
Since I have that back together I don't want to regress to original.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
onewizard,
Was your thermostat housing caked in over-spray paint flakes, as reported by invader and others. I've had an itch to take it off just to clean it. It certainly does not look like fun to get it off. What did your radiator cap look like?
I think the thermo-bob will be well worth the install for the quicker warm-up, especially in Canada. Very nice install.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
While the included adapter should work fine, technically speaking, the threads on the bike are NPTF and the threads on the adapter are NPT, with a very slight difference. I used the following adapter, with a pressure rating of 1000 psi.
Was it necessary to use teflon tape or thread sealant between the NPTF and NPT threads?
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
is there an easier way to install a temp digital gage?

Versys 2015 Green
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Was it necessary to use teflon tape or thread sealant between the NPTF and NPT threads?
Thanks!
The included adapters, I used the 3/8 and T tape on the NPT only.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

RTD sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
is there an easier way to install a temp digital gage?
What I have done for the last 10 years is use the sensor and use wire ties to the sensor and over something like the thermostat housing, cover that with some insulation, within 2 degrees. You could also cement it / cover it just below the return hose on the rad, nice flat surface.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The included adapters, I used the 3/8 and T tape on the NPT only.
Thank you!

I just shuffle slower.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Fyi i npt t

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Thanks!
FYI I used a 3/8 T on my bypass hose so , the gauge / capillary tube came with several NPTF to NPT adapters, if you were using a sending unit, either RTD ( resistive temperature device) or thermo-couple, I would fasten that to the upper rad , could be placed between the rubber mounting and rad on the left side, then insert some insulation over it.
I wouldn't be installing into the motor unless it was part of another mod that I was doing, in my case the Thermo-Bob.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
FYI I used a 3/8 T on my bypass hose so , the gauge / capillary tube came with several NPTF to NPT adapters, if you were using a sending unit, either RTD ( resistive temperature device) or thermo-couple, I would fasten that to the upper rad , could be placed between the rubber mounting and rad on the left side, then insert some insulation over it.
I wouldn't be installing into the motor unless it was part of another mod that I was doing, in my case the Thermo-Bob.
I'm thinking of cloning IAMRA's set-up and connecting it to the oil pressure access plug.
Thanks!

I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode