lowering rear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lowering rear

2012 versys, swapped a 929 front end on with the stock versys wheel. That means the fronts lowered a good 3-4" Considered swapping the 929 wheel but then it may hit the radiator when the front is fully compressed.

So I need to lower the rear and don't want to spend $$$ for lowering blocks. Any other ideas? I heard the ex 650r rear shock is straight swap and lower, however, I also heard it sucks compared to the verses rear shock.

What about cutting the spring? Ive don't it to dual rear shock bikes, but never a mono shock. Any one know if these shocks are easily taken apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. $80 for the lowering blocks is an ok price but high enough that Id make my own. Looking through ebay, the 650r rear shock is going for about $30. Might be the way to go until I make the blocks or save up for the spring.

Anyone know why the 650r shock isnt all that great compared to the versys shock? Any possibility or known swaps from a zx6r? or another bike?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 AM

I just installed the T-rex kit last week and dropped the front forks as far as possible to match, so total about 2.75" overall. I don't *personally* see the purpose in entirely swapping out the front end and rear spring of the bike...just go with a lower bike, you're sort of changing everything that makes it a versys except the seating angle, I guess.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I don't *personally* see the purpose in entirely swapping out the front end and rear spring of the bike...just go with a lower bike, you're sort of changing everything that makes it a versys except the seating angle, I guess.
Got the bike with a bent fork. Rather than pay $300 for the part I spent $30 on wheel bearings and a set of risers, and used a 929 front end I had sitting around. Still need to make caliper bracket but thatll be easy enough.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, are you lowering the V due to having short legs??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM

Ah, that makes sense I suppose. So your interest in lowering the back now is to make it even with the front, or because you just want it lower?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the motivation, the bike sits cattywompus now because the front drop is so much out of line with the elevation of the rear. I'm completely ignorant about swapping out parts from other bikes, perhaps it's possible to raise the fronts if they're not fully seated on the tripletree?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

2wheels - bent front fork. Has 929 front end available. versys forks expensive.

Adventure- lowering to match other wise steering is sketch due to trail and what not. Also forks cannot be lowered any further to raise the front.

JD - 4.5" might be exaggerated. didnt actually measure. but it may not be. Its quite an aggressive angle. Is the ER6N the same as the 600 E or 650e - whatever the dumbed down version of the zx-6 is that shares the versys frame but looks like a sport bike.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
ER6F, ER6N, EX650, Ninja 650R all use the same cheap shock, preload adjustment only. like i said, it will not get you anywhere near 4.5".
I see. Ill likely look into cutting the shock spring to lower it, and possibly making or buying used lowering blocks then. If I hate it ill look into the aftermarket spring or something. Since the ER6 shock is a direct swap, will the spring swap as well? Im asking because I can get an ER6 shpock for $30 where as a versys shock is $100. So id rather buy a ER6 shock, cut it, and put it on my versys shock, that way I can swap my original spring back on if its too harsh or I dont like it.

Just for my own knowledge, how much does the ER6 shock lower it and why is it not as good of a shock as the versys? Why a crappier shock for essentially the same bike (same frame)

Also the cbtr929 forks are 2.5" shorter from the top to middle of axle. Likely cut one coil off the rear shock. That should do it.

Last edited by borjawil; 03-20-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode