Givi Bags - E21 or V35 ? Overall width? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Bags - E21 or V35 ? Overall width?

I am having trouble deciding which Givi Bags to buy, the E21 or the V35.

Can anyone tell what the overall width of either of these bags are, mounted on the Versys? Thanks!

I only ride solo. I'm thinking the E21's would be fine for my commute. For longer trips I thinking I could add a large tail bag over the passenger seat area.

I realize the V35's hold more stuff (at twice the cost), but if they are alot wider, I may go with the E21's, for cosmetic reasons.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM

E21's

I have the E21's and they are approximately 34" across with the SW Mototech detachable mounts. I have the E360's on order and they should be here next week.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 PM

The V35s are about 38" across.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM

V35

I like the way the V35's tuck in and fit close to the bike. I'm just cheap. I bough new mounts from Twisted Throttle and used E21's from E-Bay.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - extra hardware kit?

Thanks fellas.

With the E21 side cases, can you still get your key in to unlock the seat?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Thanks fellas.

Good question! You've got to remove the side, or partially remove it in order to fit the key.

I like the look of the 35s, but I REALLY like the top loading feature of the E21s. I make frequent stops, especially with wifey. It's very convinient to simply pop open the top and put my gloves, ear plugs, camera etc in the bags and just close the lid and we're off for lunch etc. I think I'd be frustrated with the side loading boxes with stuff falling out while trying to load them up, or having to remove the box just to load a few items, but having never used the 35s I don't know if this is the case or not, but I do know the 21s are very easy to toss things in and take them out without having to worry about dropping stuff on the ground.

FWIW, the helmet clip feature of the V is no where near as nice, easy to use or as clever as my old Yamaha. I always have a hell of a time removing the helmets from the clips.

Luke
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah

Yeah, I agree about the awkward helmet clip on the V. My old Yamaha XS650 helmet clip and hinged seat opening were a snap to use.

You've convinced me on the E21s. Quick/convient use is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree about the awkward helmet clip on the V. My old Yamaha XS650 helmet clip and hinged seat opening were a snap to use.

You've convinced me on the E21s. Quick/convient use is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Hey aren't you going to wait for the 35 guys to chime in?

lol
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM

The side loading isn't as bad as you would think. Not optimal but easy to get used to. I like having dry helmet storage at work without carrying it in with me.
She is a wide bottom girl.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM

The lid on the V35 catches anything that could fall out. Plus you have the web straps to help out. I usually throw a couple of softbags on the inside to help keep things organized. Anything else just falls on the lid and I flip it closed. It would be nice if a bungee web were offered instead of the straps.

I like the E21 and think they are great alternative to the V35. For general commuting they would work out great. If you need additional room - get a SeaLine dry bag for $35.00 and attach it to your set with a bugee web.

I've managed to fill up my V35, V46 top case and a 55 litre dry bag on several trips.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Does anyone have the corbin seat and the givi top case 46litre? I read somewhere this may conflict? Anyone have a problem??
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Cool. I do like the 35s a lot too. Holding a helmet on board would be SWEET!

I was hesitant to buy the 35s because of their unique mounting bracket, and I wanted the most compact package. The 21s also use the same mount as the 45s, so upgrading later is possible if needed.

Thanks for posting the detailed pics of the inside of the 35s.

Luke
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
I'm glad someone figured out the helmet clips. I'm still baffled on that little piece of metal. Unless I'm supposed to thread my strap through that hole, then fasten the strap together, I'm lost.

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Helmet Hooks

You actually remove the seat, hook the "D" ring on the helmet strap to the metal clip and put the seat back on. With the seat on you can't unhook the "D" ring from the clip.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
That explains that, except the D ring on my helmet doesn't fit over that piece of metal. In fact, I just tried my official "HD" helmet just for the fun of it, and that D ring doesn't fit over it either. Oh well. Now I know how it's SUPPOSED work.

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I have the 35's but after seeing the E21's on a bike. I would go with the 21's if I had it to do again. You can just keep shoving stuff down into a top loader.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks fellas.

I use the motech rack with the E21 cases, and the seat can be unlocked easily with the bags on.

The bags are below the key slot.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm using the V35 side bags with Admorelite turn signals and the V46 top trunk (+ 55 litre canoeing dry bag for camping gear) and a 19 litre tank bag - all good for a 28 day, 16500 km tour I did from July 30 - end of August. Was told on a very rainy, foggy day on the East Coast the running light feature in the saddlebags made me very visible (other bikes were running 4 ways).
Hope this helps.

2007 Versys - sold
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw9 View Post
Does anyone have the corbin seat and the givi top case 46litre? I read somewhere this may conflict? Anyone have a problem??
Certain top case racks can interfere slightly with the Corbin seat making it had to latch the seat. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0&postcount=19

This is how I fixed mine and then add washer under the latch loop on the seeat until it catches properly. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7&postcount=22

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=Ocean;9456]The lid on the V35 catches anything that could fall out. Plus you have the web straps to help out. I usually throw a couple of softbags on the inside to help keep things organized. Anything else just falls on the lid and I flip it closed. It would be nice if a bungee web were offered instead of the straps.

I sent back my 1st set of V-35s because thin straps that keep the lid from falling completely open kept pulling those very small screws out of the case. Guess what, the second set does exactly the same thing, you would think a First gear mesh jacket would not be so heavy as to pull those lousy screws out. It is a piss poor retaining system for a set of $800 bags.
Nick

Check Ddoubles post # 9, they are the thin straps holding the lid!

Last edited by Nick; 08-31-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode