Jack for wheel removal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jack for wheel removal?

I am looking for a recommendation for an inexpensive jack to use on my Versys - I need to take the rear wheel off for a tire change. Can the same jack be used for the front wheel? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM

trialsguy,

Here's a link to the UK site where folks are building a cool stand that lifts the whole bike. I am in the process of putting one of these bad boys together for myself. I don't weld so I'm having to bother a friend to help me, but if you weld, it's a pretty straightforward and cheap solution.

Look down the page a bit and there is a dimensional drawing to use to fab your own.

Good luck in your search.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

I'm not seeing a link?

Thanks, but I'm not seeing a link.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Click on the words "Here's a link" in the post above yours. Likely they're orange and underlined, thus denoting linkage.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

got it

I waited a couple of minutes, and then the "Here the the link" changed to a highlighted color, and then it worked. Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM

I think trialsguy is just too quick on the draw. That and I'm a sloppy poster.

I posted my original message without including the link. I am pretty sure trialsguy was online as I was posting, so he probably checked my original post as I was in the process of adding the link. I realized my mistake immediately and corrected it pretty quickly, but his post is only 2 minutes after my original post, so I'm guessing we passed each other on a fiber optic wire somewhere.

Anyway, that's a cool rack isn't it.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 PM

Ah, I see. There's noting indicating that you had edited your post (usually there's a message at the bottom saying so), so I assumed that it was posted as is.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM

i bought bolts at the Depot, and hand lifted onto my jack stands. Some one on here already talked about doing that.
It was really easy to take off the stands with the missus help. i am pretty sure my 5yr old could help me next time on the putting on part.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Tire change parts and tips

I bought my stands from power.freaks on ebay. They were the cheapest I could find, even with the $25 shipping fee. They shipped right away and there was no problem. If this link is unique to my ebay account and it doesn't work for you, just search motorcycle stands on ebay and these guys will come up. These are the set of front and rear stands for Kawasaki. Yes, get a front stand too. You'll eventually need it.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380065490047

You will need swingarm spools. I got my spools here:

http://www.t-rex-racing.com/ On the Verys, you'll need to install them with the supplied spacers.

The versys is not compatible witht the type stand that lifts from under the swingarm. You must use spools.

In addition to these two things, you will need a rather massive 27mm socket for the rear wheel bolt, and technically, you should use a torque wrench to put it back on (80 lbs). Or just do it the old fashioned way... real tight.

While we are here, a tip for reinstalling your rear wheel. roll the wheel forward and put the chain on. Then suspend the wheel from a bungee cord over the top of the seat and through the wheel. This way, you are just manuvering a weightless wheel as you insert the break disk in the breaks and push the axle through the brake assy and wheel, while simultaneously keeping the wheel spacers from dropping out on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode