Disconnected O2 sensor, who is the ECU guru here? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Disconnected O2 sensor, who is the ECU guru here?

There is some controversy on my local bike forum about what happens with a Versys/ER6 is the O2 sensor is not plugged in in the case of fitting after market exhaust.
One school says nothing and you fit an Eliminator
The other disaster school say it will eventually lean out the bike to the point where the engine will suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM

This is probably not the right forum to ask, as the North American spec bikes don't have an oxygen sensor. But, having read many a post from our UK based friends, it seems the predictions of doom and gloom on sensor disconnect are exaggerated.

Disconnecting the oxygen sensor will result in the ECU going to a default setting for "failed" sensor. It will not be the leanest possible setting, because it can't tell how the engine is running. Actually, some people that complained about surging at low RPM/throttle settings say disconnecting the oxygen sensor actually eliminated the surging, i.e. it's not as lean as it was before.

Of course, you could look for a cheap, used US spec ECM on e-Bay and solve the problem even better than with an eliminator.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 AM

So you disconnected your sensor and folks on this side of the pond are paying top dollar for a PC V and a sensor module?! The grass is always greener on the other side of the ocean?

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysBKK View Post
There is some controversy on my local bike forum about what happens with a Versys/ER6 is the O2 sensor is not plugged in in the case of fitting after market exhaust.
One school says nothing and you fit an Eliminator
The other disaster school say it will eventually lean out the bike to the point where the engine will suffer.

See this post on a way round the O2 sensor and FI warning light activation

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...28&postcount=7

Richard
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 AM

I suppose the other answer is to source an aftermarket can which does have a hole for the Lambda sensor
failing that go to an engineering shop and see what it would cost to create such an opening
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
I suppose the other answer is to source an aftermarket can which does have a hole for the Lambda sensor
failing that go to an engineering shop and see what it would cost to create such an opening
The Leo Vince has an O2 sensor bung. The bungs are available and can be welded into any pipe. Do a google search. Thread is M18X1.5.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The problem with the sensor eliminator is that it only sends a constant signal. The ECU may keep trying to lean down the mixture to near 14.7:1 at partial throttle opening, without getting a leaner signal from the O2 sensor, until the unchanging feedback triggers a fault lighting the FI warning light, and causing a sudden surge of power as ECU switches to open loop... If you want to run without the O2 sensor, you inevitably want to run the ECU in open loop. Anything that originally runs without an O2 sensor, like the American version, does run in open loop (no O2 feedback).
So you can use the special starting procedure to run in open loop like American models, or get a used American/Canadian ECU.

1) Turn ON ignition.
2) Put the bike into neutral.
3) Wait for the fuel pump to prime the fuel system etc.
4) Then Switch OFF the ignition.
5) Push and HOLD on the starter button with right thumb,
6) With left hand, turn ON ignition, (Bike starts)
7) release starter button.

Follow steps 5 to 7 on warmed up engine with enough residual fuel pressure.

O2 sensor bungs:

http://boostcontroller.com/index.php...26category=104

http://performance.importrp.com/vibr...a/i-36840.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...Race_Car_Parts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/O2-Sensor-Send...item1c14a2fa72

Bung with plug added to Yoshimura:

Last edited by invader; 08-07-2010 at 04:52 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 AM

its kinda strange, but my 2010 does not act like this. If I HOLD and then ignition on the bike does nothing. I donīt hold but in fact press start a fraction of a second right after turning ignition on so the ecu checkup has no time to finish its cycle. I believe this leads to the same goal?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
its kinda strange, but my 2010 does not act like this. If I HOLD and then ignition on the bike does nothing. I donīt hold but in fact press start a fraction of a second right after turning ignition on so the ecu checkup has no time to finish its cycle. I believe this leads to the same goal?
I haven't tried to see if it can be done on my 2007. I take it yours is a Euro model with an O2 sensor? It may work your way if done quickly enough. Have you tried it with the O2 sensor disconnected?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Saw this on ebay. O2 Sensor Eliminator.

It claims to prevent the O2 Sensor warning from coming on on bike equiped with a sensor.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Oxygen-sensor-eli...item3a5d93b96b
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM

I bought one (sensor eliminator from ebay), it arrived within days, I fitted it immediately. It works.

Last edited by mullum; 08-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I haven't tried to see if it can be done on my 2007. I take it yours is a Euro model with an O2 sensor? It may work your way if done quickly enough. Have you tried it with the O2 sensor disconnected?
hello
yes it is a euro one. No, I havenīt tried to disconnect the sensor, but I will
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Hi!
I'm a rider from France, and I've got a 2007 Euro model and am thinking of buying this O2 sensor eliminator you said you had bought.
You say it works: what exactly happens? Does it just cancel the FI signal lighting on, or do you also notice significant changes in engine response, as advertised on ebay?
Thnaks a million: if it DOES work, it will save me returning to stock exhaust and having to sell the aftermarket exhaust I bought for my beloved Versys...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enneade View Post
Hi!
I'm a rider from France, and I've got a 2007 Euro model and am thinking of buying this O2 sensor eliminator you said you had bought.
You say it works: what exactly happens? Does it just cancel the FI signal lighting on, or do you also notice significant changes in engine response, as advertised on ebay?
Thnaks a million: if it DOES work, it will save me returning to stock exhaust and having to sell the aftermarket exhaust I bought for my beloved Versys...
I don't know about the ebay one, but Dynojet sells one to make it possible to use their Power Commander on a Euro model. You should consider going for the PC-V with an Autotune module, using the O2 eliminator. The Autotune has its own O2 sensor and will make it possible to run closed loop and tune for top performance and rideability. I've had one for a year now, and it's perfect.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM

?
why go through all this rigmarole

buying a PC commander + whatever costs god knows what on top of the aftermarket can
its not as if you are gong to get a significnat perfomance improvement as you sued to to on say two stroke motors.

I've heard reports that the cheap EBAY eliminators give mixed results, some work, some don't. some fail some don't.

this stated out as "I've bought a can without the position for the sensor"
so to me the solutions are
flog that one and get one that does have a suitable hole in it
get a competent machine shop to fit a hole of the suitable size
flog the aftermarket can and get refit the OEM.

unless you are experiencing problems with fuelling then fitting a power commander seems pointless, unless you like the gadget, and gadget it is.

there have been some reports of curing surging or stuttering by fitting a PC. though whether thats becuase of the PC or mebbe a suspect Lambda sensor is a moot point.

spending Ģ300..500 to fix a problem that doesn't really exists or is created by your own actions seems crazy. if you must spend that money ont he bike I'd suggest you split it between farkels that do make a difference (say speedy's flatfoot) and fuel... ho far can you go on Ģ150..250 of fuel? of course you could hand over the said cash to the resident Fun Prevention Officer so it can be invested in handbags, boots, a 'little black dress', or whatever else is deemed neccesary
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM

My reason for asking about the efficiency of such O2 sensor eliminators is not to gain more power...
I don't like the sound of the stock exhaust, so I bought an aftermarket exhaust that DOES have an O2 sensor hole in, but when fitted with the O2 sensor, I found out that my Versys doesn't run as fine as it did with the stock exhaust.
All I want is a nicer, slightly louder sound, without losing on accelerations, which is what is currently happening. And I'm not going to spend zillions on a PC !
So either the O2 sensor eliminator does the job properly (ie makes the engine work as it should, no more, no less), or I sell the aftermarket exhaust and put the stock version back, period!
Thanks for information from those of you who experienced the same problem...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM

I have a 2007 Versys with an MTC can
the can has the hole for the Lambda sensor
...it works fine, not problems.

the onlyu possible issues are an occasional backfire on deceleration, and the noise, well thats a matter of personal opinion
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
?
why go through all this rigmarole

buying a PC commander + whatever costs god knows what on top of the aftermarket can
its not as if you are gong to get a significnat perfomance improvement as you sued to to on say two stroke motors.

I've heard reports that the cheap EBAY eliminators give mixed results, some work, some don't. some fail some don't.

this stated out as "I've bought a can without the position for the sensor"
so to me the solutions are
flog that one and get one that does have a suitable hole in it
get a competent machine shop to fit a hole of the suitable size
flog the aftermarket can and get refit the OEM.

unless you are experiencing problems with fuelling then fitting a power commander seems pointless, unless you like the gadget, and gadget it is.

there have been some reports of curing surging or stuttering by fitting a PC. though whether thats becuase of the PC or mebbe a suspect Lambda sensor is a moot point.

spending Ģ300..500 to fix a problem that doesn't really exists or is created by your own actions seems crazy. if you must spend that money ont he bike I'd suggest you split it between farkels that do make a difference (say speedy's flatfoot) and fuel... ho far can you go on Ģ150..250 of fuel? of course you could hand over the said cash to the resident Fun Prevention Officer so it can be invested in handbags, boots, a 'little black dress', or whatever else is deemed neccesary
You may think that the PC-V is a "gadget", but I can assure you that it bloody well WORKS. I have perfect fueling across the whole operating range. No more notchy throttle or popping on overrun. The torque curve is flatter across the range, and it pulls well from idle on up.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode