Fork swap bearing question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fork swap bearing question

'12 versys, swapping a cbr929 front end on.

The 929 forks are too big for the verses lower triple. So if i were to bore out the verses triple I would not have to find new bearings. However, I have no idea how to that or where to get it done. The spacing is the same so this would be ideal as I can use the 929 axle and brakes without modification.

So Ill need to swap the triples from the 929. Heres my dilemma. The bearing dimensions for the versys are:

TOP- ID35/OD55/W14 BOTTOM- ID35/OD55/W14

The 929: TOP ID26/OD47/W15 BOTTOM ID30/OD55/W17

So I need a top bearing that is ID26/OD55/W of 14 or 15
and a bottom bearing that is ID30/OD55/W14 or 17.

So the ID and OD are easy enough - ID is the thickness of the steering stem, OD is the diameter of the bearing to fit the neck. Im assuming the W or width is the height or thickness of the bearing.

Any thoughts on the thickness of the bearings? Measuring from the top of the bottom races the length is the same for the 929 and versys, though the threading is different.

Or I can have the verses stem put into the 929 triples and use the versys bearings. A lot simpler but I don't have a press or tig welder to do the swap, not to mentioned the versys team is a lot thicker.

Last edited by borjawil; 03-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Looks like allballs doesn't carry either size bearing I need and I have no idea where to even begin looking for bearings that id need. So I'm going to use a flap wheel (drum style) to hone out the lower triple 1-2mm. That way I can use the stock versus bearings. The upper triple will fit on the 929 forks.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Its not to fit the bearings. Its to fit the 929 fork in the versys lower triple. That way I can use the stock steering bearings for the versys. And because I had the 929 forks and triples laying around.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Clamp center dimensions? Not sure what you're referring too.

The versys top tree is 50mm, the bottom tree is 52mm.

The 929 top is 50mm, the bottom is 54mm.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha. I believe the 929 is slightly bigger but not much. Ill see if I can't get more exact dimensions once I start getting things together.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I looked into before you asked, by matching up the different triples. If the versys triples have a slightly smaller space between there centers, shortening the 929 axle and spacers will not be difficult. Though at this point I have not decided if I will be running the versys wheel or using a 929/954 wheel. Since the forks will lower the front considerably (approx 3-4"), and the gap between the wheel and radiator is lessened, adding a bigger wheel will lessen that gap further.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
My 2 cents

All the material removed will weaken the tripple clamp in proportion

LOP
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Swap the triple tree stem

It's often done when swapping "new" front suspensions onto "old" bikes.

Example:

Press out triple tree stem

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

quexpress - not sure who that was to or what is meant for? I usually press out the stems if possible but the verses stem is way thicker than the 929. Unless someone has an idea on how to do it?

Ill have to have the lower triples bored for the forks to slide through. Have tried a cylinder grinding stone and sanding flap wheel to no avail. Shaved maybe .5-1mm off. Still not enough.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 PM

It is common practice to use a small engine fixed hone on the inside of the outer tubes, maybe there is a small hone that could be chucked up into a drill press to bore the inside of the lower triple tree.

Ammco makes them.

Last edited by Phoneman064; 03-09-2016 at 06:57 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjawil View Post
quexpress - not sure who that was to or what is meant for? I usually press out the stems if possible but the verses stem is way thicker than the 929. Unless someone has an idea on how to do it?

Ill have to have the lower triples bored for the forks to slide through. Have tried a cylinder grinding stone and sanding flap wheel to no avail. Shaved maybe .5-1mm off. Still not enough.
Could you show us a pic of both stems side by side? It would be very helpful.

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 PM

bearings.....bearings.......and more bearings.......

Most larger sized cities will have a bearing supply store......AND THEY CARRY ALL KINDS of bearings to fit all kinds of things, even motorbike bearings, forks, triples, wheels, and even muffler bearings from way back in the 30s-40s. They also have all kinds of races and adapters that may also work.

Look it up to see if there is one in your area, and then take all of your parts there and just tell the counter worker just what it is you are trying to accomplish....they may just have the answer for you. "BEARING SUPPLY", that is all you need to know.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I will relook into finding the correct bearings. Removing 2mm worth of material total is about 1 mm of material on each side of the triple. Triples in my opinion have been over engineered and removing 2mm of material will not weaken to the point of them falling apart. The top triple wont be touched. I donot have pics of the lower triples, but the versys stem is at least 1/4" thicker and the stem is threaded inside, where as the 929 stem is threaded on the outside.

As for the small engine hone, Ive done more research and see that hones meant to make cross hatch marks for cylinders will take forever to take off anything more than .010. Where as I need to take off .050 approx.

The method I am using is with a jig and drill press in order to as evenly as possible remove material. I understand your concern in ending up with a tapered or uneven bored in the end.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
All I can add, borjawil, is...

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks i think ill need it.

I have exhausted searching the internet for the bearings I need.
26/55/14 and 30/55/14. Using a slightly wider (thicker) tapered bearing might work as well.

Any one know how to convert tapered bearing sizes to ball bearings, either loose or caged?

Also as far as the picture of the steering stem the versys is approx 5-8mm thicker based on the bearings needed for each.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 PM

Make a bushing for the bottom of your 929 stem

You could have a machinist make a bushing with an ID the same as the CBR929 stem OD, and the same OD as the Versys stem.
After this bushing was slid (pressed) onto the bottom of your 929 stem, you could use the Versys lower bearing.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

thought about that too. Think I may have found bearings that will work. found a 30x55x15 - 1mm taller but wont matter much, and a 25x55x13.5. Will have to shave a mm off the stem and shim the bearing but easy enough.

Still looking for a better option for the top bearing, but nothing yet...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Whelp found bearings that'll work but they're not the exact sizes I was looking for. Rather than pay $50 for bearings though - maybe later?, I took the 929 bearing races for the stem and ground/sanded there OD then pressed them inside the verses races, and it was free.

Putting the 929 in the versys frame however led to a new discovery. The threading for the nut/plate that covers the top of the bearing and neck just barely pokes above the frame. Allows me to tighten it down and should work.

Id like to use the versys top triple but its thicker than the 929 and won't work. Ill have to make the bar risers work, use clip ons, or use a different side of risers.

Last edited by borjawil; 03-13-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode