Squeaky fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Squeaky fan

Anyone have a squeaky fan?
I noticed it last fall before parking the bike for winter, it seems worse now.
It took me a while to diagnose it, I could hear something squeaking as I rode down the road and it would stop squeaking as I came to a stop so I kept looking for something in the brakes, hubs, etc.
I can duplicate the squeak by blowing compressed air through the radiator and letting the fan free wheel (as would happen while traveling down the road).
A couple of questions, anyone have this issue on their bike and do you think this is a prelude to the fan going kaput? I'm taking suggestions on a fix.
As far as I know the fan has always worked and cycled as it should. I can't hear the squeak when the fan comes on, just when it's free wheeling.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Fan bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Anyone have a squeaky fan?
I noticed it last fall before parking the bike for winter, it seems worse now.
It took me a while to diagnose it, I could hear something squeaking as I rode down the road and it would stop squeaking as I came to a stop so I kept looking for something in the brakes, hubs, etc.
I can duplicate the squeak by blowing compressed air through the radiator and letting the fan free wheel (as would happen while traveling down the road).
A couple of questions, anyone have this issue on their bike and do you think this is a prelude to the fan going kaput? I'm taking suggestions on a fix.
As far as I know the fan has always worked and cycled as it should. I can't hear the squeak when the fan comes on, just when it's free wheeling.
Sounds like bearings, I have a spare fan, and will look tomorrow to see if it is easy to take apart, if ball bearing, you can fix it, sleeve bearing you might get some life by oiling but most likely garbage. Will let you know.

Might be better to buy one off eBay, saw 3 in the $30 range, several had or best offer, some have 3 legs others 4 ,can fit either. many discussion on this forum of what fits. Bearings if ball bearings will cost al,ost as much as the whole fleabay fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode