Gas tank pressure and overfill hose clogged - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas tank pressure and overfill hose clogged

Alright guys I picked up a 2012 versys with 3600 miles on it a couple weeks ago and have noticed two things. After I wash the bike water is collecting around the gas fill opening and it's not draining through the overfill hose which leads me to believe it's clogged. Also I noticed when filling the bike up that when I open the gas tank there is pressure that blows the water sitting (not draining) all over my bike. Any help would be appreciated.
12Versysphantom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you have an air compressor try blowing it our with that,
does yours still have the charcoal canister or has it been removed>?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,319
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Also - take a look to see IF the hose has been "crimped" or otherwise "kinked" by the OP, accidentally.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it?
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Member
 
OKJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kink!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Also - take a look to see IF the hose has been "crimped" or otherwise "kinked" by the OP, accidentally.
Kinked or crimped.
My '13 was like that.
Remove or loosen left side fairing. Pull hose from bottom, youll probably a kinked or pinched spot. I had to wiggle tug and jiggle it around to see where it was crimped. Once I freed it up it was no problem. Originated from factory like that and not unusual.
Easy fix.
OKJohn is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJohn View Post
Kinked or crimped.
My '13 was like that.
Remove or loosen left side fairing. Pull hose from bottom, youll probably a kinked or pinched spot. I had to wiggle tug and jiggle it around to see where it was crimped. Once I freed it up it was no problem. Originated from factory like that and not unusual.
Easy fix.
Ok thank you I will have to do that tomorrow.
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if you have an air compressor try blowing it our with that,
does yours still have the charcoal canister or has it been removed>?
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it? Thanks
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it? Thanks
its a personal option, if you leave it on and over fill your gas tank it can cause problems starting and running the bike

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Member
 
AlaskaJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it? Thanks
A lot of people have, myself included. You get almost 1/2 gallon more fuel capacity and the removal of an unsightly tumor from the left side of the bike.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
AlaskaJeff is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ankara- urkey
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem after washing my bike. At first I tought it is a clogged pipe. So I bought 1.5m steel cored rope (4-5mm diameter) with rubber cover. I slowly let the rope through the top hole to the bottom exit but couldn't get to the bottom. After that I followed through the pipe with eyes and saw the the twisted pipe. After fixing the pipe the rope passed all the way down easily.
ertano is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Member
 
binderline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it?
Absolutely:

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderline is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,319
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it?
As long as you're NOT in CALIFORNIA.... GREAT way to increase your fuel-capacity...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,319
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
It still has the charcoal filter, should I remove it?
As long as you're NOT in CALIFORNIA.... GREAT way to increase your fuel-capacity...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
As long as you're NOT in CALIFORNIA.... GREAT way to increase your fuel-capacity...!
Awesome, I am not in California, I just removed it today. Also how exactly does this increase you gas tank capacity. Thanks
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
A lot of people have, myself included. You get almost 1/2 gallon more fuel capacity and the removal of an unsightly tumor from the left side of the bike.
Thanks I just removed it.
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Member
 
AlaskaJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
Thanks I just removed it.
GOOD choice. Just make sure the right lines are capped and or routed properly. IF it's done wrong I've heard of problems cropping up.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
AlaskaJeff is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,319
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
Awesome, I am not in California, I just removed it today. Also how exactly does this increase you gas tank capacity. Thanks
W/ the 'tumor' installed, you're WARNED not to fill the gas tank ABOVE the bottom of the neck, but w/ it GONE, you can fill to the TOP (another .4 USG), altho' I ONLY do so when I'll ride at least another 15 or 20 miles before parking it (use this on the long trips I do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
GOOD choice. Just make sure the right lines are capped and or routed properly. IF it's done wrong I've heard of problems cropping up.
Jeff's CORRECT.

In a thread about removing it, invader showed the correct way to do it. MIGHT be in this thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...n-gas-cap.html

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
W/ the 'tumor' installed, you're WARNED not to fill the gas tank ABOVE the bottom of the neck, but w/ it GONE, you can fill to the TOP (another .4 USG), altho' I ONLY do so when I'll ride at least another 15 or 20 miles before parking it (use this on the long trips I do).



Jeff's CORRECT.

In a thread about removing it, invader showed the correct way to do it. MIGHT be in this thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...n-gas-cap.html

Thank you, I am still a little confused, Will I be doing any harm to the bike if I just remove the canister and don't cap anything off, I still have the overflow/vent line there, just removed the canister. Thanks
12Versysphantom is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Member
 
AlaskaJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Versysphantom View Post
Thank you, I am still a little confused, Will I be doing any harm to the bike if I just remove the canister and don't cap anything off, I still have the overflow/vent line there, just removed the canister. Thanks
If memory serves me you need to cap one of the two fittings on the tank while making one a vent hose routed down to the ground. Then there is one line coming from the FI intake area of the engine that gets capped as well.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
AlaskaJeff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome