• 2 Post By BEACHBUM
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By kohburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Volt/Amp Monitoring

Now that I've got a few items drawing some juice, what is the preferred method to monitor that the charge is staying strong enough. Here's what I have:
- Stebal horn - wired direct onto battery with it's 30 amp fuse
-Aux. lights - wired into a switched fuse block slot
-Oxford heated grips - wired into a switched fuse block slot
-12v lighter socket- wired into a switched fuse block slot
-Charging pigtail-wired into hot slot on the fuse block
-Backoff, Admore lights for bags and Acerbus hand guard turn signal inserts are all wired directly to the corresponding hot wires
twowheels likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Since you have a 12V Outlet just use one of these....New Mini Car LCD Voltage Meter Battery Monitor 12V Black Red Digital Screen | eBay

I have several i keep on the bike to use if i want. You can get different colors too..
onewizard and twowheels like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
If you have a battery tender there is an SAE voltage meter you can get on Amazon that, by my tests, is pretty much spot on. Only draw back is you're stuck mounting it in a goofy place since most Tender uses poke the SAE out the side of the seat. I just reach down and check it at lights periodically. There are green yellow and red LED lights for a visual, non-specific, read out.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Since you have a 12V Outlet just use one of these....New Mini Car LCD Voltage Meter Battery Monitor 12V Black Red Digital Screen | eBay

I have several i keep on the bike to use if i want. You can get different colors too..
Not waterproof but at that price you could have a different color for each day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM

Garage
Theres this also. I have the second one....Amazon.com: CTEK (56-870) Comfort Indicator Cig Plug: Automotive ..... http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-564-Co...39C4SZRDCXQGY0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM

Garage
Have one of these too...12 Volt Battery/Alternator Tester

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 AM

I run heated grips, heated gloves, heated vest,(I hate cold) and I'm considering heated pants liner maybe next year. I have a Heads UP voltage monitor offered by Back Off products for 30.00. You only see the multi-colored led. With all that stuff running, sitting at a stoplight, I still show a green light with my idle set to 1500 rpm. It's a simple solution and it's always there.
onewizard and kohburn like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I run heated grips, heated gloves, heated vest,(I hate cold) and I'm considering heated pants liner maybe next year. I have a Heads UP voltage monitor offered by Back Off products for 30.00. You only see the multi-colored led. With all that stuff running, sitting at a stoplight, I still show a green light with my idle set to 1500 rpm. It's a simple solution and it's always there.
I have the same, but there are people on this forum that like to see numbers. My take on the heads up, is the same as the traffic lights,Green is Go
And unless you constantly stare at the meter you will never see it happen, if you bike is already running in the below 12.9 VDC, your on your way to a new stator.
kohburn likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
...I have a Heads UP voltage monitor offered by Back Off products for 30.00. You only see the multi-colored led. With all that stuff running, sitting at a stoplight, I still show a green light with my idle set to 1500 rpm. It's a simple solution and it's always there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have the same, but there are people on this forum that like to see numbers. My take on the heads up, is the same as the traffic lights,Green is Go
And unless you constantly stare at the meter you will never see it happen, if you bike is already running in the below 12.9 VDC, your on your way to a new stator.
Me THREE!!! (At least - on my '15....)

-
onewizard, kohburn and BEACHBUM like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 AM

that's what I use too
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 PM

Garage
http://www.amazon.com/Mictuning-Digi...ZAHRGA32J06QP3

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode