Sticky Clutch Problem when cold - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sticky Clutch Problem when cold

I've got almost 4k on my Versys now after 6 weeks of ownership and my clutch is still acting funny. When I first start out in the AM or when the bike has sat for several hours when I let out the clutch the first time starting out it jerks like I let it out quick and sometimes I stall the bike. It only happens once and not again until the next AM or several hours of siting later. What do you think? Adjustment or trip to the dealer...? Oh and yes it doesn't do it everytime. Maybe half the time.

<<brian>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Location: North east England about 60 mile from the scottish borders
Seems like a bit of oil contamination on the plates take it to the dealer to check it out, that said i used to have a yamaha fj1200 it done the same if not used for a week or two but i just left it and it got no worse in 4 year
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM

DeweyBrian ,

Personally I wouldn't call that terribly uncommon with the wet clutch systems .
As it was explained to me by a super race tech guru sort friend of mine . The cltuch pack gets stuck together from just sitting and the oil creating sort of a suction .
My V showed some sign of that behavior during break in miles using standard Kawaski oil . Of course, I switched to running Rotella T Sythetic oil shortly after break in miles . The synthetic oils will help stop and or soften that .
You saying to does it when cold or been sitting for a few hours , I would bet lunch x 10 that is what it is doing . My KLR is really bad about it without the syntheitc oil .
I will add this . I am sure you have found that if you start the bike before you get on to warm it a bit , you should really be ABSOUTLEY SURE you are holding the front break tightly before you hit the start button . Due to the clutch packs natural desire to seem partially engaged , it will sometimes make the bike leap pretty hard if not holding the break . Switch to synthetic , and watch that nearly go away , and also watch your bike run smoother and quiter than you ever imagined .

Last edited by PO-SLOKE; 08-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode