O2 Sensor Retrofit - Calling European Versys 650 Owners - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
O2 Sensor Retrofit - Calling European Versys 650 Owners

I just came home from riding in the mountains, I was riding my GSXR 750 and only had to refuel once. That is a bike with a larger engine that produces more than twice as much power as the Versys, yet it gets similar MPGs at moderate speeds and just plain puts the Versys to shame if the ride gets spirited. Only thing I can think of that could account for that difference is the fact that my EPA spec Versys is open loop while my EPA spec GSXR is closed loop.

2010-2014 Versys have a fuse for an O2 sensor that is not there, and there is a free connector by the countershaft cover; Looks like Kawasaki cheapened out and figured it'd be cheaper to use the same wiring harness for all of them. So...

- ECE ECU
- O2 sensor.
- Weld O2 bung in muffler or swap an ECE muffler.

That should be enough to convert my EPA Versys to ECE spec. I've already done the cross reference:

- EPA, CARB use a different ECU than ECE.
- EPA, CARB use a different muffler than ECE.
- EPA, CARB and ECE use the same wiring harness.

BUT there is something that doesn't make sense. IIRC the immobilizer is mandatory for ECE spec bikes, yet my cross reference shows that all of them use the same tacho/speedo, which means there is no immobilizer warning light, same ignition cylinder without RFID reader and the same non-RFID key... That makes me doubt the accuracy of my cross reference.

So I need European MK2 650 owners to confirm if they have or not an immobilizer.

By the way, I also found that:

- EPA/CARB MK1 Versys does not share the wiring harness with ECE bikes.
- EPA and CARB bikes have the same ECU; the tune is exactly the same.
- ABS and non-ABS bikes have the same ECU.
- Wiring harness and speedo/tacho are different for ABS and non-ABS.
- Stator and RR are the same for all. <--- Non ABS Versys has more available power to run gadgets / lights / heated gear.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 02-20-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have AUS version O2 sensor and ABS.

It would be easier for you to just buy the PowerCommander V and AutoTune 200 and O2 eliminator
than faffing with ecu wiring etc.

Motomummy.com is where I got mine - cheapest online.

My 2012 Versus 650 used PCV model 17-042
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My bike doesn't have the O2 sensor, so I'd have to buy:

- PowerCommander $269
- AutoTune module $220
- Weld O2 bung in muffler.

Vs:
- ECE ECU that is plug & play. $120 on fleabay.
- O2 sensor $172 new.
- Weld O2 bung in muffler.

The OEM ECU does not need any wiring to be modified and the connector for the O2 sensor is already there. I wouldn't have to block off the air intakes for the exhaust, which is needed for the Autotune to work correctly; so I'd have a fully working emissions control. Last but not least, I'd have to spend lots of time fiddling aroudn with the PCV/Autotune to get me better MPGs, something that is already done on the OEM ECU.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Auto tune already comes with a bung.

Setup does not take very long.
Tuning at minimum. Is just setting AFRs and it will learn fuel map automatically till you accept them.

Blocking off pair valve is a easy as sticking pen lid in air hose like I did.

You are assuming that by adding o2 sensor and stick ecu will give you better fuel economy. I beg to differ as we o2 sensor bikes can have poorer rider experience with stuttering and jerky ride 2-3000 rpm range. Someone else reported that he swapped to a non-o2 ecu and got better rideability with same fuel mileage.

What fuel consumption do you get now on versys.? It might not change with ecu swap either.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
My feeling on the two bikes getting the same fuel-mileage:

very similar weight and engine 'swept-volume', so at the same speed, BOTH require the same horsepower to move (despite your Gixxer having WAY more...), because you're NOT "wringing-its-neck" which would give worse fuel-economy.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode