• 1 Post By kohburn
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By IslandBike
  • 3 Post By IslandBike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Noises after 7600 service

'15 versys 650, no significant issues. Just took it in for the scheduled service and there's new engine noise and vibration. The engine sounds a little deeper with more exhaust note in the engine area and also seems like there's a little more vibration. They changed spark plugs, they did not do the vacuum check -sounds like very few dealerships do.

Engine is totally deeper toned and a little "rumblier" at idle.

Seems like there's also an intermittent metallic vibe sound (if it were a car I'd say it's a loose heat shield ).

Not aware of any actual exhaust system work done at this service. Would bad plugs contribute to these issues? Something else going on I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Garage
Is the engine running OK? I'd express your concerns to the dealer and see what he says.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 AM

Do you hear a faint whisper from the engine saying something to the effect, "bring the bike back, we aren't done sucking your bank account dry".

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 AM

Honestly I think your mind is playing tricks with you. After paying for service your mind is trying to notice a difference. It's like when people drop the bike in the parking lot and then notice the bike developed a rod knock because of it!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Bike is a little more hesitant starting, a little rougher idle, and I pick up new subtle vibe/knock when accelerating. The Versys is always a little buzzy like that but this is different.

Dealership will take a look at it tomorrow to make sure there's not something going on as a result of their service. Should be for free. The 7600 mile service was a lot less in cost than the purchase/mounting of the Michelin Pilot Road 4s I got last month but wow what a great tire

And absolutely, I've been wondering if I'm just looking for something different but there are enough little things all of a sudden that are different that I'll have them take a look.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 AM

do you know everything that they did while they were in there? (assume they didn't do any valve timing)
some of it could be improperly gapped plugs.
silviefox likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM

I'll bet they put the cams back in wrong. Training that new guy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
Don't think it would start and run if that was done....
turn8a likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

No valve work at this interval.
Oil and filter, spark plug changeout. Everything else is check/adjust/tighten/lube

Nothing else directly affecting engine or exhaust system.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
wrong spark plug or plug not fully seated ? loose connection somewhere?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
sound and vibes like a thumper now.

Probably left a rag in left throttle body.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but my friend bought a left over Yamaha 2014 V-Star Deluxe. He told dealer that the stereo controller on handlebar was missing and GPS would not charge. Short story, he took it in for some work and they found the controller taped to the inside of the fairing. Nice original assembly huh?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
Bike is a little more hesitant starting, a little rougher idle, and I pick up new subtle vibe/knock when accelerating. The Versys is always a little buzzy like that but this is different.

Dealership will take a look at it tomorrow to make sure there's not something going on as a result of their service. Should be for free. The 7600 mile service was a lot less in cost than the purchase/mounting of the Michelin Pilot Road 4s I got last month but wow what a great tire

And absolutely, I've been wondering if I'm just looking for something different but there are enough little things all of a sudden that are different that I'll have them take a look.
Something's definitely not right. Maybe the airbox and/or vacuum hoses were not properly reinstalled. Maybe they installed the spark plugs loose... Heck, maybe the fairly competent apprentice screwed everything up.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

A tech rode my bike and didn't really notice anything. Another person rolled out a new Versys from their showroom and started it, listening intently. Then he started mine again and immediately looked at me and nodded his head. When they compared the two they could tell the sounds were different.

Bottom line is they'll rack it Tuesday and check the airflow system. They think something is leaking / mid-connected. I'll keep you posted
invader and onewizard like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

They found a loose crankcase breather hose. Two attach to the air cleaner and one was unattached, hence the extra flutterish exhaust sounds especially at idle. Everything reattached and it definitely sounds better now
invader, onewizard and kohburn like this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
They found a loose crankcase breather hose. Two attach to the air cleaner and one was unattached, hence the extra flutterish exhaust sounds especially at idle. Everything reattached and it definitely sounds better now
Thanks for posting, it could help someone else on this forum, makes you wonder just how diligent the mechanic was.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I think that's the value of forums like this - there are some things that are really complicated, that it can really help to get a lots of folks with experience and knowledge to help with issues - and there are some things that are just cautionary tales, things to think about and watch out for when bikes go in for service.

I'm a healthcare provider. And I like to think I'm very good. But I know there are things that I miss, so it's natural that a mechanic might miss something too. Good people, doing a good job, but things can slip through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode