Shifter adjustment? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Shifter adjustment?

Evening folks,

Having logged roughly a tank's worth of mileage on my '09 I've grown to get a good "feel" for the motorcycle. I've ventured over from the cruiser world, which want suiting me well for my purposes.

Obviously the position on the V is much different than my old Shadow. Shifting smoothly and quickly, mainly shifting down in gears, has been a frustration. On the Shadow I could swing my foot over the shifter, click down, lift about the maximum angle of my ankle, and down shift a second time without really thinking.

On the Versys I've found if I want to engine brake down a couple of gears, I can't simply lift and shift a second time. What I've had to is literally pick my foot up off the peg, allowing the shifter to fully ratchet back up, and then place my foot back on the peg and shift down.

Now I was first led to believe my old Red Wings were simply too bulky to be able to lift high enough. So today in swapped to a different boot with less of a sole. Unfortunatly, I still had the same issue.

My immediate thought today was that my issue is the boots. Emphasis on boot. Not riding boot, just a set of 875s and 9016 Red Wing boots. But then I looked at the shifter its self and saw, hawt-dog, it's got an adjustment.

So my question is: Will this adjustment (sort of like a tie-rod sleeve to my eyes) permit me to adjust the shifter angle down so I don't have to lift my foot so high to downshift?

Thanks all,
GTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM

Garage
Yes, it takes about 5 seconds to adjust so go nuts make it suit you.

Just a thought has you bike got lowered footpegs? If not sure have a look here and it also has instructions for adjusting gearshift as well

Last edited by MaverickAus; 02-17-2016 at 11:29 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yes adjustable.
undo the locknuts (one is normal the other is reverse) then twist the rod to change the shifter position up or down. do the lock nuts back up.

Might I also suggest you grease the rod ball and socket ends (rose joints) pull the rubber boot back clean the area then grease the ball and socket put the boot back over the socket.

If shifting is still 'stiff' then you need to undo the main shift pivot bolt and regrease. it is a bit harder to do but do a search of this forum and you will get info.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 AM

Garage
Good point, I forgot about greasing it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow! It's. Different bike! I can actually downshift!!! Still needs another quarter turn it so but the Versys is much much much more controllable.

Thank you both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode