aligning the wheel - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
D3v

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
aligning the wheel

Hi.

I have an 08 versy. Im quite a novice when it comes to chain adjustment/wheel alignment so bare with me. I used a digital caliper to measure each side of the wheel. Right behind those alignment blocks. With the caliper I measured 6.61mm on left side and 5.87mm on the rght. Am I close enough or does it need to be equal on both sides?

thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How is the caliper supposed to help you align the rear wheel? Use a straight edge on the rear sprocket, along the length of the chain.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:44 PM

Garage
Why not just use the notches built into the swingarm and the blocks? Thats what they were put there for.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The notches on the swing arm are sometimes off. Mine were on my 09. I use a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool...

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
D3v

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb003 View Post
Why not just use the notches built into the swingarm and the blocks? Thats what they were put there for.
Funny enough there are no notches on the left block. There are on the right block and on both sides of the swingarm.
That's why i was using the caliper to measure. I guess that's the wrong method in doing so.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Garage
measuring like that that will work if the slots are the same distance from the swing arm pivot point. you can measure to the pivot to check, or I suppose you could use the straight edge method on the chain, then verify that the slots are equal (or not)

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The notches on the swing arm are sometime off. Mine were on my 09. I use a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool...

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr
+1

This is what I use and have had great success, the marks on my 08 are off.
turn8a likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v View Post
Funny enough there are no notches on the left block. There are on the right block and on both sides of the swingarm.
That's why i was using the caliper to measure. I guess that's the wrong method in doing so.
The left block is turned around if you want it right take the axle out and turn the block around.
willb003 likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKneeDropper View Post
+1

This is what I use and have had great success, the marks on my 08 are off.
That tool Joe has in his pic is only $15. The angle you are looking for (to straighten out) if from the top of the rear chain sprocket towards the front sprocket.

It's almost a good reason to have a separate hugger and chain guard so you can see the critical chain angle above the rear sprocket more easily (2 less hard-to-get-to screws.)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
That tool Joe has in his pic is only $15. The angle you are looking for (to straighten out) if from the top of the rear chain sprocket towards the front sprocket.

It's almost a good reason to have a separate hugger and chain guard so you can see the critical chain angle above the rear sprocket more easily (2 less hard-to-get-to screws.)
I have a skidmarx hugger, and have that tool, and NEVER remove the hugger. Put the bike in gear, 2 or 3, move bike forward to tension slack side of chain, mount tool on bottom. When engine braking this is the driven side, same alignment as top of chain, if the top is out, so will be the bottom.

Chain tool is designed to mount on both sides.
What really helps is if you have a lift or don't need trifocals to see.

Before my lift I used this******************
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8159501.jpg (20.5 KB, 54 views)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...Am I close enough or does it need to be equal on both sides?...
The chain needs to be aligned, and that's NOT the right way to do it.

Quote:
On my '08 when I got the same tool that weljo showed, it took 2.3 turns of one adjuster to get it right (that was from being EQUAL both sides vis a vis those marks on the swingarm). Since then I 'dimpled' the adjusters at the correct adjustment, and 'double-dimpled' the nut a half-turn away. Here's the difference NOW, side-to-side, reference the marks.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM

Garage
hmm weird, my blocks on my 09 seem to work just fine. but I noticed your blocks are different than mine
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
hmm weird, my blocks on my 09 seem to work just fine. but I noticed your blocks are different than mine
And when several people that had blocks like yours, started complaining their chain was failing, and they aligned each side identical-----Fasteddie came along and explained why their chain was failing--

My 07, the notches are off by .060 on one side, I use the motion pro tool, and don't even look at the notches, BTW a misaligned chain also affects tire wear and handling.

But, if you are over 30,000 miles on your original chain then keep doing what you are doing.It is your bike, we just talk from past experience on this forum.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
D3v

Just a follow up on my dumb question thread. I ordered the motion pro alignment tool.
Now as far as the rear castle nut is concerned, its torque value is 80 ft lbs...i know that much but when I did just that with a torque bar, The rear tire was way too tight and wouldn't free spin with the bike up....thoughts?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Make sure the spacers are in the right way and the caliper in its slot before tightening it up... Mine has to be ahead on the right by 1/2 the distance between two lines (2.5mm) to be properly aligned.
onewizard likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
And when several people that had blocks like yours, started complaining their chain was failing, and they aligned each side identical-----Fasteddie came along and explained why their chain was failing--

My 07, the notches are off by .060 on one side, I use the motion pro tool, and don't even look at the notches, BTW a misaligned chain also affects tire wear and handling.

But, if you are over 30,000 miles on your original chain then keep doing what you are doing.It is your bike, we just talk from past experience on this forum.
Likewise, never trusted the markers.

Line up with my eye then a straight edge. Might invest in that tool though.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Just a follow up on my dumb question thread. I ordered the motion pro alignment tool.
Now as far as the rear castle nut is concerned, its torque value is 80 ft lbs...i know that much but when I did just that with a torque bar, The rear tire was way too tight and wouldn't free spin with the bike up....thoughts?
Torque bar? Is that a torque wrench? Not being smart just making sure we are speaking about the same tool?

If your doing it right (torque) and it is binding something else is wrong. Make sure your spacers are in the correct order, bearings greased, clean and not worn, chain is clean, lubed and aligned and brakes are good (not binding).

BTW the only dumb question is the one not asked.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
D3v

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Torque bar? Is that a torque wrench? Not being smart just making sure we are speaking about the same tool?
Correction. Yep thats what I was referring to.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:06 AM

fun little time saver tip also - once you get the chain aligned properly the first time, you can use nail polish or similar to make your own alignment mark on the blocks to save time later.
onewizard likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

works fine with my Pyramid hugger & also works if you mount it at the 6:00 locatiion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode