Don't Be a Battery Idiot - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't Be a Battery Idiot

Rode the bike to a local BBQ place today. No problems going there, but when I got ready to leave, Crystal Blue wouldn't start. The buddy I met tried to jump me to no avail.

After a small non-motorcycle crowd gathered to help, we just figured I needed a new battery. All the helpers left and my buddy was going to take me to Cheap Battery Heaven (Walmart). I thought I'd try one last time, and realized the connectors weren't tight. I tightened those, and low and behold, it started right up.

After an embarrassing 30 minutes, I learned an important lesson:
  • Before you think you have a bad problem, check the little not-so-obvious things.

You guys that take long trips often probably know this, but it's more for those of us that ride around town and take shorter trips.

P.S. Lesson 2 - Invest in motorcycle-specific jumper cables. It was a bear just trying to connect regular jumper cables to the Versys battery. I have a 2009 and the more recent models may be better, but just in case...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lightbulb

How old is your battery? Remove connectors to sand off the oxidation from top of battery terminals, and underneath connectors, clean and reconnect battery.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Battery is only 1 1/2 years old and connections were clean. I guess vibrations loosened the connectors.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 PM

Battery post oxidation happens fast though, and is virtually invisible as it's of the same color.

Last edited by invader; 02-05-2016 at 01:41 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader. I'll check and sand it tomorrow. I'm one of those that seems to only check the most basic things (oil, tires, chain), but forgets the small or hidden stuff. That's why I'm glad I can rely on y'all.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 01:44 AM

Just a light sanding will do... It's pretty soft material, and you wanna keep it flat and smooth.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
for jump starting bikes i have a set of gater clips from an old battery charger i keep in y\my bike tool kit, they clip on to the tight motorcycle battery terminals nicely then are easy to clip jumper cables to

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM

I think it got most people one time or another. I remember putting a new starter on a 1974 Toyota celiac and than finally figuring out it was a bad battery connection.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 AM

A set of motorcycle specific jumper cables come in handy. I made me some out of some heavy zip cord, something like 10ga.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM

I was lazy with my grip warmer install and didn't patch it into a wire that was ignition-hot, and have killed my battery twice by leaving it on, both times was able to push start and it went back on the tender at home. I fixed that issue now but I still picked up one of the LiPo portable jump starters.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I was lazy with my grip warmer install and didn't patch it into a wire that was ignition-hot, and have killed my battery twice by leaving it on, both times was able to push start and it went back on the tender at home. I fixed that issue now but I still picked up one of the LiPo portable jump starters.
the PO of sylvester did the same thing, worse he used a wire tap to steal power from a wire instead of hooking it to the battery, now has been fixed and moved to a switched aux fuse block i installed but im still waiting for the day the green death eats thru the wire where he tapped it and i loose power to w/e that wire goes to (i think its the ecu)

(note in picture not the wire im holding put the red wire tapping into the white one, that is what the PO did )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150822_151518.jpg (77.3 KB, 73 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 02-05-2016 at 09:37 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Walmart. $60. Carry it in my tank or tail bag. Also use it to start my riding lawn mower for the past year, because I am too cheap to buy a new battery for it. The clamps are very small, and the whole unit weighs very little. There are numerous brands, at varying prices but, nice peace of mind carrying one around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.0 KB, 62 views)

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Is the battery tender pigtail stout enough to use as a jump?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
After cleaning terminals I always apply Di-electric grease (silicone) to post and clamps. Prevents corrosion and waterproofs connections. I apply it to every electrical connection on motorcycles before putting together. Have done this for many years and have never had a problem with electric connections.
onewizard and Jim Nazium like this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres what i had on my 09 Versys and its now on the FJR. Has come in handy more than a few times helping other people and myself when i forgot to turn off the flood lights once or twice....... powerlet jumper cables ....http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...ogMBoCyB7w_wcB On the Versys...I had the half connected to the battery and stored under the seat. Then all you have to do is take off the seat and connect the other part with the alligator clips on. You could mount it somewhere that you don't have to take the seat off if you want...

IMG_0064 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Heres where i have it mounted on the FJR...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

I'm thinking about getting one of these. For when your stuck out all by yourself.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-05-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM

When you think it is broke, think again. If you are sure it is broke, check the cheap things first. 9 times out of 10 the simplest solutions work.

I know it is difficult when it is your problem, but remember Cooler heads always prevail.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heres what i had on my 09 Versys and its now on the FJR. Has come in handy more than a few times helping other people and myself when i forgot to turn off the flood lights once or twice....... powerlet jumper cables ....Powerlet Real Motorcycle Jumper Cables - RevZilla On the Versys...I had the half connected to the battery and stored under the seat. Then all you have to do is take off the seat and connect the other part with the alligator clips on. You could mount it somewhere that you don't have to take the seat off if you want...

IMG_0064 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Heres where i have it mounted on the FJR...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

I'm thinking about getting one of these. For when your stuck out all by yourself.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-uwwyfkf6A
That is one heavy duty set up, and they must be making a 300% mark up---if the demand was there, could be a nice little hobby.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
That is one heavy duty set up, and they must be making a 300% mark up---if the demand was there, could be a nice little hobby.
Yep, But the first time i needed it. All of a sudden it was a bargain.
onewizard and turn8a like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. You always come up with great stuff. I've got to check out those battery chargers/tenders. I'm torn between the Walmart one and Joe's video one. Kinda handy to put in a top bag or tank bag.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Thanks for the responses. You always come up with great stuff. I've got to check out those battery chargers/tenders. I'm torn between the Walmart one and Joe's video one. Kinda handy to put in a top bag or tank bag.

On the Weego the units are priced from 89 to 169 bucks...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode