Gauges buzzing and I know why... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gauges buzzing and I know why...

So, since I bought the bike, I've had the dreaded buzzing. However, I know exactly what's causing it; but, I don't know how to get the outer plastics off.

Basically, the gauge cluster is riding too high and is vibrating against the plastic surround it. I know this because if I push down on the cluster, the buzzing stops. How do I get this off w/o damaging the plastic? What I intend to do is apply 2 small strips of Velcro (soft side) to the inside surround as isolators.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Gen 1 or Gen 2? The procedures are a bit different. But basically remove the tank side panels, then the headlight surrounding panels and then you can get to the gauge area. On the Gen 2 there are these silly fasteners that you need to push in the center pin and then pull out the whole fastener. Once I figured them out it became easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
So, since I bought the bike, I've had the dreaded buzzing. However, I know exactly what's causing it; but, I don't know how to get the outer plastics off.

Basically, the gauge cluster is riding too high and is vibrating against the plastic surround it. I know this because if I push down on the cluster, the buzzing stops. How do I get this off w/o damaging the plastic? What I intend to do is apply 2 small strips of Velcro (soft side) to the inside surround as isolators.

Thanks!

Check " Common problem-buzzing in gauges and cowl" response #170. My gauge cluster was buzzing and this was an easy permanent fix. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
when you figure out how to take the instrument cluster out, use weather sealing foam strips (they have a sticky back) you can buy from a hardware store.
12-15 mm thick (1/2in) and same wide.
I put a few strips on the plastic cowl so when I screw my cluster back in, it is firm but foam still absorbs vibrations.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Check " Common problem-buzzing in gauges and cowl" response #170. My gauge cluster was buzzing and this was an easy permanent fix. Good luck.

So, based on your pics, you put the washers between the cluster holder (the piece the 3 screws go thru to mount the cluster) and the cluster?

I will have to take a look at this later today after I get up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
the rubber washers are not washers... you cannot actually tighten up and squish them... the bolt will stop before you can tighten them up.

the rubber washers are more like isolators. the Bolts hold the cluster in place against the cowl. the cluster can still wiggle a little and this is rubbing against the factory pad at the back creating buzzing noise.

Put some weather stripping on sides top and bottom to cusion the cluster so it is not so loose and the buzzing dissapears.

The easy fix is not to take out the cluster - but to to stuff some weather stripping in the side gaps. Works but looks like crap.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 AM

On my 2008 Versys 650: The buzzing was actually from plastic bits inside of the gauge cluster. I opened it up, tapped around to locate the rattly pieces, used tape and foam to pad parts until rattles and cheap plastic sounds went away. Day and night after repair.

But the Versys seems to be an endless puzzle of rattles... the cold weather really seems to wake up the buzzy rattles too.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
So, based on your pics, you put the washers between the cluster holder (the piece the 3 screws go thru to mount the cluster) and the cluster?

I will have to take a look at this later today after I get up.

Self explanatory when you get in there - and my washers are rubber and can be squeezed tight. After this alteration I have not had any more buzzing - quiet as a mouse.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 01:41 PM

I have a 2015 and just put some foam on the mating surfaces between the plastic piece under the windscreen and the plastic piece that the gauge cluster mounts to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode