cant toot my horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
cant toot my horn

FML got a new WOLO horn for sylvester and its DEO , take it back and get another crapped out one... WTF?!?! (both tested on bench power supply) and my stock horn is crapped out after 36k of mountain life and suggestions on another horn? louder and lower the better looking for truck horn

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 01-25-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My WOLO BadBoy has been on for almost 3 years and 50,000 km without issue so I guess I can't help.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 AM

Are you holding the horn button long enough? The flux capacitor needed to power those bigger horns takes some time to build power and release it.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't want the weight or mounting issues of a compact air horn like Stebel Nautilus/Screaming Banshee/Wolo,

then try Hella Supertone Dual @ 118db - you sill need a relay for them.
Lours_Polaire and kohburn like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
If you don't want the weight or mounting issues of a compact air horn like Stebel Nautilus/Screaming Banshee/Wolo,

I've t those sitting around, still haven't installed them. had them on a few cars in the past and always pulled them off to keep when I sold the car.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Are you holding the horn button long enough? The flux capacitor needed to power those bigger horns takes some time to build power and release it.

lol i guess not xD https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7K...ew?usp=sharing
Quote:

ill have to look into those, the wolo was kinda a gift from my roommate because he works at HF and got a good deal (yeah such a great deal :/)

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:

WebBikeWorld

Denali Soundbomb

Hella Supertone

Disapointing Stebel 1

Disapointing Stebel 2

LOP
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
SF... typically these airhorns use a sliding fiber board to generate the air volume needing to power the horn diaphrams. If the either the fiber boards are stuck or missing - they cannot fly out and create air pressure in the compression chamber.

The do need periodic oiling so the boards run with less friction... sounds like some thing broke.
Maybe over oiled and the diaphrams are sticky.
Only pulling these apart will tell us what is wrong, but because they are new - swap them out.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM

this is the installation I copied...nice and loud like a car horn (which they are)...they've worked a couple of times at alerting drivers to my presence...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lp-please.html

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
SF... typically these airhorns use a sliding fiber board to generate the air volume needing to power the horn diaphrams. If the either the fiber boards are stuck or missing - they cannot fly out and create air pressure in the compression chamber.

The do need periodic oiling so the boards run with less friction... sounds like some thing broke.
Maybe over oiled and the diaphrams are sticky.
Only pulling these apart will tell us what is wrong, but because they are new - swap them out.
no im guessing your right there, the first one had a chunk of one of the motor brushes floating in the packaging (did i mention that they are NOT lite handed with there inventory)

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
this is the installation I copied...nice and loud like a car horn (which they are)...they've worked a couple of times at alerting drivers to my presence...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lp-please.html

ya as i said on the other page i plan to some day (when money falls into place) replace the stock one with those and something more comical were the wolo was going to go, i already finished up the wiring today (because i already drilled the hole in the dash) and just left the port on the relay open

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Inverterman to the Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
FML got a new WOLO horn for sylvester and its DEO , take it back and get another crapped out one... WTF?!?! (both tested on bench power supply) and my stock horn is crapped out after 36k of mountain life and suggestions on another horn? louder and lower the better

http://youtu.be/354Hs1W9PUc
This may come as a surprise, but did you check the polarity when bench testing, the compressor is like a screw compressor, one direction only or you will damage it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
WebBikeWorld

Denali Soundbomb

LOP
I have the Denali with the remote compressor, horn is located at the same place as the original--picture is posted under rad guard--if you want I can take a picture of the compressor location---the sound is the same as what Weljo has.I love it

Quote:
ya as i said on the other page i plan to some day (when money falls into place) replace the stock one with those and something more comical were the wolo was going to go, i already finished up the wiring today (because i already drilled the hole in the dash) and just left the port on the relay open
Thanks for your help in posting, please check your polarity, also make sure you put ear plugs in first, one direction it sounds like in your video, the other direction---well make sure you aren't close to a bathroom break ---last, you need #12 wiring and a relay for it to work properly, I have a fused weatherproof lighter plug with 30 amp wire and a 25 amp fuse, direct off the battery , use this for my compressor or trouble light (LED) . I tapped off that and connected the compressor relay to it. Because I have the remote compressor I was able to use the original horn wiring to switch the relay, just pulled the wiring back up towards the rad.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This may come as a surprise, but did you check the polarity when bench testing, the compressor is like a screw compressor, one direction only or you will damage it.
+ to +(red) , - to -(black) just because
onewizard likes this.

yes im a guy.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
+ to +(red) , - to -(black) just because
I have a valid reason to say what I did, I have the Denali with the remote compressor, I had a problem with the relay, replaced it but, my connections weren't marked, when I tried it, it sounded like your video------so I thought the compressor was screwed----I removed it with the connections intact, that is when I realized I had the polarity wrong. It doesn't work now, with + on +, why not try reversing, and then reversing back.----hey I make mistakes all the time, and usually on something simple, the complex stuff works the first time most of the time.

I got a good laugh at the last part, brought to mind some of the kidding in Canada between provinces, the Newfoundlander s or "Newfie' takes alot of kidding, one of them refers to the Newfie cutting a Cord of wood with the "Stihl' chainsaw , he was complaining how long it took him and he wasn't happy with it, the salesman was a little surprised and asked if he could try it out, so the Newfie agreed, the salesman proceeded to start the saw, the minute it started the Newfie asked what is that noise---something like that
silviefox likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-22-2018 at 10:49 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Detracting from original thread

Hey, just in case, I can delete the last part of my last post, as it may be derailing the original topic of this thread
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Hey, just in case, I can delete the last part of my last post, as it may be derailing the original topic of this thread
xD no need im all for a good stories for someone to come across and get a chuckle as long as we arnt talking bad about our babies (the versys's)

and to please you i tried it both ways a few times +to- and - to+......i think it sucked up a cat or something because it made a sound like when i backed over one........i still think its DOA lol
onewizard likes this.

yes im a guy.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
xD no need im all for a good stories for someone to come across and get a chuckle as long as we arnt talking bad about our babies (the versys's)

and to please you i tried it both ways a few times +to- and - to+......i think it sucked up a cat or something because it made a sound like when i backed over one........i still think its DOA lol
All I can say is I am glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this, I laughed so hard I had
silviefox likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
lol i guess not xD https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7K...ew?usp=sharing

ill have to look into those, the wolo was kinda a gift from my roommate because he works at HF and got a good deal (yeah such a great deal :/)
FWIW- I have ONE each of the WOLO Bad Boys in my '08 and '15 Versys (this is the one from my '09 which 'died' last June in the NWT....), AND in my Mazda Protege5, and they ALL work fine, w/ MANY miles, many years on each...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW- I have ONE each of the WOLO Bad Boys in my '08 and '15 Versys (this is the one from my '09 which 'died' last June in the NWT....), AND in my Mazda Protege5, and they ALL work fine, w/ MANY miles, many years on each...!
ya ive4 had 4 or 5 of them in the past on other bikes and cars and trucks never had this problem, i returned this one today and the guy just hucked it down on a shelf under the counter and it bounced out and he threw it back on it again... again not the lightest of hands >.>

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode