Radiator leak - will ninja650 fit g2 versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Radiator leak - will ninja650 fit g2 versys?

Saw a few threads on this topic but read to many and now i'm confused :-) Wondering if anyone knows if the ninja 650 rad will fit the g2 versys? I have a 2013 that took a rock last night.. sad times. $650 for a dealer replacement. There has to be a better way. Anyone have a used one on a parts bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Only 2009+ Versys 650 radiators have part number 39061-0217, but any 2006-2008 Ninja 650R/ER-6 radiator should fit 2007+ Versys 650 as well.

GPI Radiator for Kawasaki Ninja 650R EX650 2006 2007 2008 06 07 08 | eBay

Last edited by invader; 01-21-2016 at 09:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 AM

Same dilemma

I have a 2009 with a tiny leak and dont see myself throwing $650 on $10 worth of aluminum.
For some reason the older version of the radiator is the one that looks exactly like the one i need for the 2009 versys.
Take a look and please update on what youve done.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if the hole is small solder it and save some money

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like it might be small enough to fix. Will be taking off taking it in for a look at a radiator shop. Crossing fingers.

Thanks for the links, the GPI would probably work so I'll try that if I have to replace it. I'll be ordering a rad guard too..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Garage
That's why I fitted this when my bike was new.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzanmanteka View Post
I have a 2009 with a tiny leak and dont see myself throwing $650 on $10 worth of aluminum.
For some reason the older version of the radiator is the one that looks exactly like the one i need for the 2009 versys.

Yes they do appear to match... I remember that the Ninja 650R/ER6 got a larger radiator in 2009. So it was in fact originally in the Versys 650 size.

It's also only $75, free shipping in USA for a new bare aluminum, unpainted radiator.

Last edited by invader; 01-21-2016 at 09:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, this is rather funny and a bit embarrassing. Turns out I don't have a leak at all. I was riding home in a downpour on Tuesday night and hit a large rock that bounced up under the front end with a bang. I knew it hit something, but couldn't tell what. All the water on the engine from the rain/road resulted in a lot of steam when I pulled up to the house so I thought I hit the radiator. I let the bike sit in the garage overnight as it was too wet to really tell where any water was coming from, and I didn't really think to look for coolant.

The next morning I saw an area of wetness on the front of the radiator that I assumed was a small leak, so I started the process of looking at my options. I got home last night and everything was dry, noticed there was no coolant in the moisture and my reservoir was at it's normal levels so I decided not to pull it off and fired up the bike to look for any leaks and there are none, thankfully. I had no idea the exterior of the radiator could take 2 days to dry off.

Turns out I panicked, but I did learn it's more a pain and expense than I'd like to deal with so I ordered a Cox guard from RidersDiscount this morning. Thanks again for the links and wisdom.

Hopefully this thread at least clears up the question on g2 Versys/Ninja rad options for someone in the future. :-)

Last edited by ernien; 01-22-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzanmanteka View Post
When I got a small leak in the rad of my '09, I removed it, took it to a "rad-shop" and had it repaired for about $50 CDN.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernien View Post
Well, this is rather funny and a bit embarrassing. Turns out I don't have a leak at all. I was riding home in a downpour on Tuesday night and hit a large rock that bounced up under the front end with a bang. I knew it hit something, but couldn't tell what. All the water on the engine from the rain/road resulted in a lot of steam when I pulled up to the house so I thought I hit the radiator. I let the bike sit in the garage overnight as it was too wet to really tell where any water was coming from, and I didn't really think to look for coolant.

The next morning I saw an area of wetness on the front of the radiator that I assumed was a small leak, so I started the process of looking at my options. I got home last night and everything was dry, noticed there was no coolant in the moisture and my reservoir was at it's normal levels so I decided not to pull it off and fired up the bike to look for any leaks and there are none, thankfully. I had no idea the exterior of the radiator could take 2 days to dry off.

Turns out I panicked, but I did learn it's more a pain and expense than I'd like to deal with so I ordered a Cox guard from RidersDiscount this morning. Thanks again for the links and wisdom.

Hopefully this thread at least clears up the question on g2 Versys/Ninja rad options for someone in the future. :-)
lol, next time start the bike up let the thermo open and look for a leak, and or a drop in coolant level, bikes steam up in the rain , lot of hot bits open to the rain and splashing (specially if you have wrapped exhaust{ive had someone flag me down thinking my bike was on fire at a lite lol})

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode