OEM chain and sprockets or aftermarket replacement? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question OEM chain and sprockets or aftermarket replacement?

I'm looking to replace my Chain and Sprockets.

I didn't take very good care of the chain, and now it is making some noise and feels like it has a rough spot when I have the clutch in.

15K miles

So, do you reccomend using Kawasaki OEM chain and sprockets or an aftermarket replacement. I'm not looking to change the tooth count, and am happy with it the way it is.

Any feedback is appretiated.

and btw, now that I have a rear stand, I take good care of my chain. I just waited to long I think.

Oh, and the tension looks good.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:13 PM

I got 18k out of the original chain, changed the sprockets and chain, and at 26k now have a popping chain again. I used an exact replacement for the chain and sprockets. Not sure whats causing my current issue. The chain is jumping around, I guess it may be a bad link. I do know what caused my original chain to fail. Used a engine degreaser to clean the chain, do not do this, holy **** the chain immediately started to wear and I was adjusting it every few hundred miles....
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM

I agree an aggressive solvent is not good for an O ring chain. It cleans too good and takes the lube out from behind the O rings. Also, a wire brush can damage O rings. WD40 or equivalent with a plastic bristle brush works for me.
Sorry, I don't have a good opinion on whether or not to replace with OEM parts. A lot of aftermarket stuff is good quality and some is not so good.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Hey, you don't need a stand to lube your chain people, I use a jack stand under the right foot peg. I used it to remove my rear real when I change my sprocket to the 44T first week I had my new V less than 50 miles. Got it from sprocket center, great price by the way and when I wash my bike I put the jack stand under the foot peg spin the rear wheel and apply WD- 40, let is soak in while washing my bike, then using my power washer I spray the chain as I spin the wheel to clean it. then when all done washing the bike I lube the chain and ride around the block. my chain and sprockets have more than 2600 miles and look great no signs of wear on my rear sprocket and the chain has not stretched much if at all, looks great, o-rings clean shiny and playable chain looks new.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 09-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
Hey, you don't need a stand to lube your chain people, I use a jack stand under the right foot peg. I used it to remove my rear real when I change my sprocket to the 44T first week I had my new V less than 50 miles. Got it from sprocket center, great price by the way and when I wash my bike I put the jack stand under the foot peg spin the rear wheel and apply WD- 40, let is soak in while washing my bike, then using my power washer I spray the chain as I spin the wheel to clean it. then when all done washing the bike I lube the chain and ride around the block. my chain and sprockets have more than 2600 miles and look great no signs of wear on my rear sprocket and the chain has not stretched much if at all, looks great, o-rings clean shiny and playable chain looks new.

Donn
Nytrydr, 2600 miles or 26,000 miles?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM

I just went out and checked, I have close to 3 grand on the clock. Last time I checked the millage was 2600. cleaned and inspected my chain last Sunday and it looked just as I stated, like new still.

Donn
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
I'm looking to replace my Chain and Sprockets.

I didn't take very good care of the chain, and now it is making some noise and feels like it has a rough spot when I have the clutch in.

15K miles

So, do you reccomend using Kawasaki OEM chain and sprockets or an aftermarket replacement. I'm not looking to change the tooth count, and am happy with it the way it is.

Any feedback is appretiated.

and btw, now that I have a rear stand, I take good care of my chain. I just waited to long I think.

Oh, and the tension looks good.

thanks
OEM is standard issue and after market is an issue on $$$.
Make your choice based on $$$ and since your are good boy willing to take care OEM is good enough. IMHO.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
FWIW - my OEM chain on the KLR lasted 54,000 kms (33,480 miles) on a diet of WD40. So, whatever Kawasaki used - it's pretty GOOD!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - my OEM chain on the KLR lasted 54,000 kms (33,480 miles) on a diet of WD40. So, whatever Kawasaki used - it's pretty GOOD!
used to be, stock chains were junk, I'm impressed with the chain on my V
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM

I've never used it before, but I'm trying Dupont Teflon spray now with no complaints so far. I clean with a rag "lightly" saturated with mineral spirits, dry with a clean rag, and re-apply the Teflon. Not enough miles on my '09 to determine if it affects wear.

WD-40 should keep it clean of debris, but I'm not sure about it's long term lubricating qualities. I'd probably follow up with a chain lube that's a bit higher in viscosity. I figure the WD is flung off pretty quickly once you ride.

I'd be hesitant using a power washer on any part of my bike. Something about forcing water into areas it wasn't meant to be, puts me off. I hand wash with water under faucet pressure only. Takes a little longer, but is part of that karma thing I've always had with my machinery.

Everyone has their own procedure and preferences. Go with good common sense and you'll be fine.

On point: Unless you plan ratio changes, why bother using anything other than factory sprockets and chain?

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 09-22-2010 at 12:13 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Yeah, if you use a power washer like I do, you got to be wise where and how close you point the thing. Keep away from bearings. but the chain I rinse it real good been doing it that way for years and never had a problem. I hand wash as well and rinse with the power washer but from a distance. Also my power washer is only 1700psi It's a Husky from Home Depot, perfect for this kind of cleaning, not to powerful and you use a lot less water using a power washer.
"Water... and to think we used to wash automobiles with it." - blipco 2109 A.D. Use a power washer and save water

Last edited by Nytrydr; 10-12-2010 at 04:37 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Chain

You may want to use a chain alignment tool to see if the chain and sprockets are aligned properly. The indicators are not always correct. Also, when you tighten the nut there may be some shifting as well. If you have a stand, visually check and see if the teeth are rubbing on the side links more on one side than the other. (Cheapo way of checking without an alignment tool).

Rich
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM

I would say aftermarket. Do some research on the subject, the brands and the bottom line will be the dollar. Weigh the pro and con and you will satisfy yourself.

Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM

I also got 18000 out of my stock chain. Last night threw on a DID Gold and two new sprockets. OEM Kawi front and a 44 steel rear I bought from a forum member here.

Very, very pleased with the 44 rear.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM

just got back from riding the dragon tail and had to tighten my chain because it was getting sloppy loose. Got back home after 1200mi round trip and had to tighten it again and have noticed it is continualy getting lose and giving obvious noise at low speeds. I'm wondering if I have ruined my front sproket. When I looked at it I didn't notice any obvious bent teeth or anthing but she has 18k mi and maybe thats her way of telling me she need new chain and sprocket. Does the 44T help w/ making the speedometer accurate?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM
djg

The 44t helps with speedo accuracy, but the speedo is still a bit fast on my '09 compared to my GPS.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
giving obvious noise at low speeds. Does the 44T help w/ making the speedometer accurate?
My chain started making noise about 17K. Rear sprocket looked good but front teeth were pointy and even bent!

My GPS with the 46 tooth rear said 55mph speedo said 60mph.

GPS with new 44 tooth rear says 59mph speedo said 60mph.

Last edited by siyeh; 10-21-2010 at 10:00 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Chain replacement

Dear Kawasaki Members,

I officially "popped" my cherry today & replaced my seized chain (30,00klms).

Would like to thank the contributors to these excellent posts, my brother in the UK who shipped a new chain to me. They don't have them in stock in any motorcycle dealership in Saudi! Go figure. My lovely wife for holding things that needed holding and generally just being there.

And - the wonderful folk who uploaded videos on Utube which helped a mechanically challenged chap to change his chain, balance his wheel & do the whole thing in less than 1 hr - without a single swear word passing his lips.

Tomorrow - out for a ride. Life does not get any better than this!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 PM

A month ago I started using the Motul Chain paste - very satisfied with it.
Most of it stays where you put it - on the chain - not flinging off to the rear rim/swing and all over where you do not want it.
The best lubricant I have used so far.. On a warm chain you can watch when it melts in between the links
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3Fp4wYetk

Anders B.
Sweden
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:44 AM

My current set up is a stock front rubber cushioned front sprocket , a supersprox rear sprocket 44 tooth. and a DID 520VX2 X-Ring Chain 114 length so I can run the 46 tooth sprocket if I want to go back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode