Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

SW-Motech Quick Locks -- any good?

13K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  demuire 
#1 ·
Has anybody installed the full sw-motech quick-lock racks with Givi bags? If so, how do you like them? Do they really come off quickly?

Using Twisted Throttle's pricing, I added up the cost for SW racks vs Givi hardware.

SW = side rails + adapter + top alu-rack + adapter = $435

Givi = PL447 side rack + FZ447 top rack = $312 (or $341 for PLX rack version)

I'd like to be able to remove the luggage and hardware for that "stealth" look, but honestly I'll probably have the bags on most of the time.

Thanks,
-Alan

#2 ·
Hey Alan,

I got the Givi racks, and the givi tubing blends in well with the rear tubing on the bike. I think it actually stands out less than the flat plat of the SW rack.

No matter which rack you use, you will still have the same hardware for the givi case showing on the sides.

That's my 2 cents!

#3 ·
I just installed the SW-MOTECH side racks for Givi V35 PLX cases. Fit real nice.

Indeed, you are paying more for going naked every now and then. The racks do come off very quickly with four 1/4 turns.

The difference is less if you don't go for the tail truck since the SW-MOTECH side racks don't require the tail rack/kit like the Givi does.

The sales guy at TwistedThrottle was most helpful in helping me decide.

For side racks, you will also want the Keyed Locking Quick-Lock Fasteners. Another cha-ching :).

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/29/

(The picture in above is wrong. For the Versys, the lock goes on the 1/4 turn fastener by the brake light)

#5 ·
I think the V35 PLX cases fit into the lines of the bike very well. At following link, view picture on right side in full size. Note: The picture is distorted somehow, the cases don't fit that high up. The top of case is even with rear seat.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3697/652/

I plan on taking the black matte inserts to paint shop and match the Passion Red. IMHO, the cases would then look completely integrated and designed for the bike.

Before ordering, I read on TwistedThrottle "Due to their irregular shape, PLX sidecases are NOT large enough to hold a typical full face helmet". I was disappointed and resigned myself to needing the V46 tail trunk to store helmet. I am happy to report my large full face Shoei RF-1000 fits ok in the side cases. You have to give the case a little squeeze before closing, but doesn't seem to be that much pressure on the latch. Within the case, I put some sticky felt from Wal-Mart on the exposed screws to prevent possible scratching.

#7 · (Edited)
My bike had the SW side racks for Hepco Becker cases when I bought it. These are also the "quick turn" remove type, and they really do come off very quickly and easily. Unfortunately, it seems to me that they're very easy to steal! You've got locks on the cases, and a lock to remove the cases, but in about 30 seconds you can twist off the quick turn screws and walk away with the whole shebang. One screw is somewhat hidden behind the cases, but it doesn't take much imagination to get at that one too. Personally I would go with the regular racks and skip the quick-remove types. I'm thinking of getting rid of the whole thing and just going with a larger top case and soft bags when I need the room--either that or invest in the PLX setup.

#9 ·
I will be buying the SW Motech mounts for my new Versys. I have them on my ZX14 and they work great. Quick on and off and great quality. When they are off the mounting brackets are hardly noticeable. If you get the PLX specific racks then an adapter is not needed. The flat side universal mounts need adapter for the type of case being used and they stick out much further than the V35 PLX racks. You can also use the Motech mounts with or without the topcase mount.

#10 ·
Looks good Motordog. I ended up getting the sw motech setup. I have it installed and it's working great. I like the V35 bags as well.

Installation was pretty straightforward, but I found the turn signal extension wire they provided too short. I used my own longer wires.

No pictures yet.

-Alan

#11 ·
Pics Please!

Hey Wordguy,
Any pics yet? I just got my versys in september 2008. I have the V35 bags with the givi brackets and just recently found out about the motechs with quick release... I am considering them, but would like to see some pics with the brackets on and off the bike... Maybe some close ups of where the connections are too. Is there a bar across the back of the bike with the motechs?
Thanks in advance for any pics you might be able to post....

#12 ·
Yup I have pictures

Yes I did take some pictures. I thought I posted them somewhere, but here you go.

Here is the bike without any racks or bags on. You can see the small attachment tabs. There are four: one just in front of the rear turn signal, one behind the passenger footrest, one where the frame meets the black plastic trim under the seat, and one under the rear passenger handgrip post. There is a bar across the back, but it integrates with the license plate holder and turn signal relocation bracket so you don't really notice it.

Here's the adapter plate for the Givi topcase. The plate it attaches to stays on the bike permanently, but the adapter plate comes on and off easily.

Now I've got the top case on, and the brackets for the Givi side cases. (I went for the V35s too. The brackets are different for the V series vs the regular Givi Monokey cases.)

Here's the Versys fully bagged.

I'll try to take some close-ups of the bracket attachments and post those.

-Alan

#13 ·
Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for the pics Alan. I really appreciate it. Your bike looks great! Some close ups would be great too if you get the chance. I'd like to see how the tabs all connect to the frame, especially the ones by the passenger foot rests. Also I have a few additional questions if it's not too much trouble. First, It looks like you have different passenger grab handles. Are they part of the Motech bracket kit? I will not be adding the top case, I just have the side cases... I'm just wondering if they are part of the bracket kit for the side cases or the top case, and how sturdy they are. The reason I ask this is because the passenger grab handles that came with the givi brackets I have are MUCH sturdier than the stock ones that came with the bike and that's one thing I really like about the brackets I have. I'm not necesssarily opposed to putting the stock ones back on if I have to, I'm just curious...

Second, Can you tell me about that rear fender! That looks awesome! Where did you get it? How much was it? and did you have to do any drilling or cutting to install it?

And last, did you have to do any drilling or cutting to install the motech bracket kit? I forgot to ask before I think.

Sorry about my rambling. Thanks again in advance for any info you can provide! I gotta go and get ready to ride my Versys! Today may be one of the last beautiful days here in Upstate NY for a while!:thumb:

#15 ·
Thanks for the compliments Sillycar. You will see in the next pixtures that I don't always keep my Versys so clean :grinangel:

Here are some closeups. The first one shows you how the bracket attaches to the passenger footrest. There is an existing threaded hole on the bike and the bracket bolts right in.

This is the upper-front bracket. Again it bolts into an existing threaded hole. (I think a reflector went there.)

This is the rear bracket. You can kinda see where the SW Motech bracket bolts in behind the license plate bracket.

Here's the top mounting bracket. It fits under the passenger handgrip. I have these particular handgrips because they are part of the SW Motech topcase mounting bracket. You do not need to have the SW topcase hardware to install the SW sidecase hardware. I dunno if it would work with what you have. Maybe the picture will help answer that.

Here's another angle on the top bracket/handgrip.

There was no drilling or cutting involved in the installation. I did move the rear turnsignals to mount on the SW bracket (others have said that is not needed) and that requires cutting and splicing the wires.

I got the rear hugger (fender) from Twinshack in the UK. I painted it myself using Color-Rite rattle cans. Again, no cutting or drilling. It mounts using existing threaded holes. I did need to buy one or two more bolts to attach it.

-Alan

#16 ·
You are the best! Thanks!

Thanks a ton Alan. That really helps! Thanks for being so thorough I don't do forums too much because I feel like I'm imposing so I want you to at least know that I really do appreciate your time. I wish the manufacturers cared as much to show their products up close like that (and/or made it easy to find). I already saw the post about the hugger while I was waiting for your response and I've already priced out the paint at color rite (sorry about the extra (off topic) question, I never even thought about a hugger until I saw how nice it looks on your bike! Looks like the color rite paint matched pretty darn good, no? And I'm sure it helps with keeping the underside of the seat clean too...). I do have one last question if it's not too much (no rush). Could you please post one more shot straight on of the license plate and rear bracket? It just looks a little weird to me from the side with the turn signals down lower and next to the license plate light and I can't quite wrap my head around exactly how much metal has been added back there. I'm also not too keen on leaving that hole where the turn signals used to be. I'm probably one of the few who actually likes that big black fender back there (from what I've read) and having the extra reflector for visibility back there is good considering I'm a newbie at this (530 miles so far, since sept. 20th) so people can see me better. My brackets have extenders that move the signals up and back a bit, but they don't look great either. I do like that they're higher for safety though (again, good for a newbie). I suppose I could leave my extenders even if I go with the motech brackets... From the looks of your photos, I will be fine putting the stock hand grips back on (which is ok with me I guess. I like the way they look, but the ones on the integrated brackets feel sturdier).
Ok, as a thanks, here's a link for you
http://www.admorelighting.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&subpage=9
It's a light kit for the V35's. Pretty cool. I'm considering. You probably already know about it, but I wanted to try to give back something...
Thanks again, and again, sorry about my rambling. It's 3:45am. I just woke up with my 1 and a half year old son and got him back to sleep so I'm sorry if this post is poorly written.
p.s. that's my son on my avatar. He loves the Versys too!:clap: <-That's what he does when he's on it! (Except he claps on the tank) I ride him around the driveway real slow (sitting in front of me... he loves it!) Again, rambling... :blah: sorry...

Last thing... A dirty Versys is a ridden Versys, so that's not a bad thing now is it? I just did 66 miles on mine on twisty back roads with my cousins and had a freaking blast! (We also stopped half way and had HOT french onion soup and porter house pork chops to warm us up!) (at The Waterhouse in Luzerne?(maybe Corinth? definitely close to Corinth), NY (I think it's on Rt.9N) if you ever go that way... Highly recommended!) :cheers: Cheers!

Thanks again!
Joel.

#17 ·
Hi Joel, you are quite welcome. It's no imposition. You happened to catch me at a good time. One more beer and I wouldn't have felt like going to the garage to take the pics... :cheers: Your son's a cutie. It's good to start them on the bike early :thumb: My sons are 17 and 15; they still keep me up late, but for different reasons.

Here's a picture I already had that shows the rear straight-on.

I don't really like the hole from the turnsignals either. I have a plan to cover it up, but I haven't gotten to it yet. When the side cases are on you can't really see it, so it's easy to be lazy about it.

Those lights for the V35 cases look great. I hadn't see that before. I'm going to look into that as a winter project. (26°F this morning in northern Massachusetts; winter is not that far away.)

-Alan

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks again.

Thanks again Alan. I have started a fund for the motech's (I have to sneak a little at a time with two kids to care for...). Also starting a fund for the rear hugger. I saw a brushed aluminum finish one on frog specialites http://www.frogspecialties.com/index.php?categoryid=26
that I may go for instead of trying to paint one myself (not really my area of expertise...)
Anyway, thanks again! Have a good one!

#20 ·
With those locking kits, I would assume you're meant to buy a pair - and replace one quick lock screw on each side? I would assume though that if you've already removed all-bar-one of the mounting points it really wouldn't take much effort to force the last one off?

I love the idea of being able to easily remove the racks, but not really keen on sacrificing security that much...

#23 ·
Demuire -- You won't be able to keep everybody out no matter what. I use a large flat-blade screwdriver to undo my rack quick-releases. With that same screwdriver, I could pry open my Givi bags in less time! A determined thief will be able to get your stuff one way or another.

My bags are "generally" secure. But I don't leave the bike parked overnight in unlit back alleys either :)

-Alan

#24 ·
For those of you worried about the quick release to be "quick" for the thieves, Caribou Cases (www.cariboucases.com) sells a set of bolts that replace the 1/4 twist quick release screws. He has them for the HB and SW Motech racks. However, his intent is to afford more vibration security then theft.
Perhaps since I use the cases for tours, I actually have softbags inside to carry all the stuff. I carry these soft bags with me to my room every night. So, if a thief wants to steal empty cases, that's what they'll have. Now most incidental thefts are aimed at items (potential treasures) inside, not the cases themselves. If a thief is determined, a healthy wack on the PLX cases with a crowbar would render everything inside vulnerable. :eek: Are we worrying unnecessarily? If we are, then get the Pelican cases like I did. They are at least more durable. :) Or, always park the bike where you can see/reach them readily. :thumb:

Peter

#25 ·
I had one of the quick release bolts shake loose on an off-road ride. The bags did fine on the one side with only the three bolts left, but I ordered four more bolts to have extras.

My Givi E21 cases clip off the racks in seconds and if I had to park outside a motel or something, I would simply pop off the hard bags and put them in the room. I could take another two minutes to remove the racks and secure them in the room too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.