View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:52 PM
silviefox

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Ran through some salt water ( tide came in and cut me off from home) and the chain side adjusted must have rusted solid. Don't ask me why the other side didn't, i don't know. It sheared off almost flush so I had to grind it smooth and drill it out as best I could. Ended up with a 1/4-20 bolt replacing the original, looks odd but has served for thousands of miles. Learned to love anti-seize treatment.
the reason this happens is the bike sits on its kick stand and leans to that side so any moisture in the swing arm sits right on that bolt. what you need to do is drill out the drain hole in the swing arm (its right under that bolt) to be a bit bigger and when you get that bolt out flush all the much (trust me there will be some there) out with wd40 or something like that then grease or anti seize the heck out of the new bolt you put in there. thats always been my strat. ive broken that bolt on many old bikes. like i said the main reason is the drain hole getting plugged the second is science of differential metals being in contact and sharing electrons and blah blah blah

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome