Too old to ride? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Too old to ride?

I told my sister today that I'm buying a Versys 1000 so I can spend the rest of my days enjoying the world from 2 wheels. She said, "you can't do that, you're a senior citizen." (I'm 64). How would you respond?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hockins View Post
I told my sister today that I'm buying a Versys 1000 so I can spend the rest of my days enjoying the world from 2 wheels. She said, "you can't do that, you're a senior citizen." (I'm 64). How would you respond?
By buying the bike.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

I am 66, been riding for 46 years, it was suggested that I get a Can Am Spyder, My comment was that as long as I can walk upright I will be riding, providing I am not endangering others and am able to ride, and it won't be a Spyder. The Versys 650 has all the power I need, I would suggest that if that is what you want, go for it.
My plan is to get a small enclosed trailer for two bikes and start doing some rides in the US, ---------enjoy life what is left of it, my only suggestion is see if there are people in your area that have bikes like you are after, see if you could test drive em. Here in Canada, you need to time it when the Kawasaki dealer rep is in the area, and it usually is in the spring and only 1 or 2 days to test ride.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
By buying the bike.

Ditto....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 PM

You are never too old. Now if you cannot sit down due to a surgeon messing your back up, that is a different story. Or if you can't see, that may be problem too. But age alone is not a good reason (and you are not that old.) I've seen members here in their 80's, if they are still with us :-)

Ride to live and live to ride. I am going to take a basic AMA riding course, and it helps your insurance rates too. It will give you more confidence knowing the critical variables of rider Safety: the name of the game. You can never be too safe. Welcome to the club!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im only to old when im in the ground

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:30 PM

My father stopped riding at about age 79 or 80. He had been riding as long as I can remember, at least 45 years.
He has always had big bikes, his last one was a GoldWing. We discussed his reasons for quitting, he said he knew it was time when he almost dropped the bike because his legs felt weak, he said he was starting to have trouble seeing and his reactions were getting slower. He is retired now but he had been a professional driver (and the best driver I've ever met) all of his working life, he loves riding but he also trusts his judgement and his judgement told him he was no longer up to the task. It was a hard decision for him, he called me several times just to talk about it and ask my opinion. I hated to see him give it up because it was one of the few joys he had left, but I also respect his judgement, if he says he isn't up to the task I know there's no one more qualified to make that decision than him.
onewizard and Budview1 like this.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Location: Rapid City, South Dakota (Black Hills riding is great)
I,m 69, been riding since I was 14, got off the big bikes and now ride a 2008 versys 650. I will quit riding on two wheels when I start tipping over for no reason, then will go with a trike. Ride when you can. BB
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 PM

If she's labeling you as incompetent to ride, based on age alone, then there's a problem with that logic. If you are physically or mentally not at capacity to ride, then maybe she has a point. You didn't share your current health and well being with us, so we can only assume that you have no health issues that would hamper your ability to ride.

Have you ridden bikes in the past, or do you own one now? Was your sister's sole response based on your age, or were there other factors that contributed (ie- health, dementia, vision, etc.)?

We really don't have a lot of info to go on. In general, age isn't all indicative of skill/ability. Anything specific why she commented that you can't?

Quote:
onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.

Last edited by bwwoodard; 01-15-2016 at 10:20 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 PM

I'm within a month of being 71 (been riding since 1963) and don't intend on quitting any time soon. I will confess that my year old artificial left hip has changed the game somewhat but I'm far from being feeble or dangerous to either myself or others. And riding is therapeutic.

The sentiment isn't original but you only get one chance to live so do what you really would like and enjoy while you can.
onewizard likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
How would you respond?
By buying whatever bike you please and enjoying it to the max. Your sister may be ready for the easy chair and the associated slow, steady deterioration but that doesn't mean you have to be.

Heck, I've been road bicycling for years with guys who are several years older than you. They can ride longer and faster than some of the 20-somethings who show up to our group rides. One in particular still cycles (now solo and slower) in his early 80's.

As long as I can stay physically capable I don't plan on listening to anyone who tries to tell me that I'm to old to ride, ski, scuba dive, or do any of the other dangerous stuff I like.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 PM

One relative quit riding at 94 due to fatal 1 bike collision.
He went doing what he loved and thankfully took no one with him.
Have to wonder if it was a physical problem or if he missed his wife (6 months gone after 75 years).
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:58 PM

I am only 49, but years of arthritis are taking their toll. I downsized from baggers years ago, to mid sized bikes. I have to take a break every thirty minutes or so, shoulders and hips need to adjust. I do intend to ride until my body says no more. If you are capable, ride, age means nothing.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:50 AM

Garage
Not enough information to go on. If this is your first foray into riding, (or many years since you rode) then I suggest you sign up for the MSF class and see how you do.

Riding safely and surviving require a lot of luck, or a lot of skill, and sometimes both.
onewizard and kballowe like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 AM

At 72, my riding has changed a bit. Vision, reaction time, balance, and coordination all begin to degrade with time. Experience off-sets the downside of aging a bit. But al long as you can ride within your limitations and safely, I'd go for it.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM

If you are healthy enough, just ride.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 AM

I am 70 and have been riding since I was 18.
I have recently switched over to a Versys 650 because it is easier for me to handle (lighter) than my last bike (Honda Valkyrie).
Age alone is not a good criteria for deciding if you will ride or not.
Have you ridden before? If so, and you feel like it, go for it!
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent questions and very good advice

Rather than edit my previous post, I thought to leave it as is. There have been some really good thought out replies, that I can say I have learned from, even though I am not the person that asked the question, I have gained some insight from this forum. To all that have posted or plan on posting
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I am 70 and have been riding since I was 18.
I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

I just noticed this---------that gave me a good laugh ----and if I can retain that in my gigabyte brain cells, something I can counter with when it is suggested to hang up the keys!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hell - I've been a senior citizen for 12.6 years (72 now), and ridden OVER 150,000 MILES in that time on, variously, a Bandit 1200S, an SR500, a KLR and three Versys 650s.

As others have said - IF there are NO reasons not to - BUY IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I'm within a month of being 71 (been riding since 1963) and don't intend on quitting any time soon. I will confess that my year old artificial left hip has changed the game somewhat but I'm far from being feeble or dangerous to either myself or others. And riding is therapeutic.

The sentiment isn't original but you only get one chance to live so do what you really would like and enjoy while you can.
I truly believe that riding motorcycles is "keeping me young"...!

-
onewizard, Arion and saddlebag like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode