Why can't I make myself love it? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why can't I make myself love it?

Been looking at it and looking at it. I know in my head that the Versys is the best bang for the buck motorcycle-wise, probably bar none but I keep finding myself drifting over the the BMW F650GS forums and lately, the Ducati Multistrada 1200s. Neither of these bikes offer enough improvement to justify the cost increase but I think just lusting after these "premium" bikes prevents the Versys from floating my boat. Not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Why are you buying a bike? What will you be using it for? How tall/big are you?

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Hey, if you've got the moolah, don't worry about bang for the buck. Get what you want

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

It will be 99% a commuter back and forth to work (50 mile round trip, no interstate but mostly divided 65mph highway). I try to take at least one mc vacation a year. I am 5'10" and 215lbs. The V is just about a perfect fit. I think part of it is I am coming off of a Hyosung and now I want ALL the bells and whistles. Wisdom says wait for that to pass and buy what is smart. I am concerned that either way, I'll just wish I had the other. The grass is always greener, you know.

I've not sat on a Multistrada yet. I may try to avoid that at all and at least, be in the not completely stupid expensive category.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 AM

Bikes don't make sense (cents?). Get what speaks to you... buying a bike should be a combination of what you can afford and what speaks to your heart. That said I waited a year before i got mine... i should of pulled the trigger earlier.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you can't fall in LOVE, please don't pull the trigger. Biking is about moving the soul.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Had the 02 650 GS great bike and wanted to get the newer twin version but the price was to steep for me. Best bang for buck imho is the V
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM

If you don't love the bike you won't ride it as much. Riding to work takes more prep time and effort than just jumping in the car. Your hot when it's hot, cold when it's cold and wet when it's wet. Makes no sense to ride a motorcycle when you have a perfectly good car with heat, ac, radio etc. You have to WANT to. So if you don't love the ride you will find yourself sitting in the car again once the NEW wears off.

After 6k miles I still ride my V to work every chance I can.

I'd try and test ride them both. I rode a BMW F800gs a few months after I had the V. I liked somethings better on the BMW, but overall still liked the V better. Was and still am a happy V camper.

Like the others said, go with what excites you the most!

Mike

Last edited by WindWalker; 07-21-2010 at 05:43 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 AM

Test ride those bikes you fancy and come to a conclusion. You won't regret it anyway you go.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Test ride those bikes you fancy and come to a conclusion. You won't regret it anyway you go.

Agreed. I test drove a lot of bikes that I thought I coveted (ktm duke, ducati hypermotard etc). Test driving is really the only way to know for sure what your heart desires!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM

Garage
take your time and test them all if you can and come to a decision thats best for you. I bought my V just to commute back and forth to work. But enjoy it so much its now my main transportation. As far as bells & whistles you can have that to and quite a few of them with the money you would save if you got the Versys.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
As far as bells & whistles you can have that to and quite a few of them with the money you would save if you got the Versys.
Noticed Joseph that you are a leader in bells/whistles
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Noticed Joseph that you are a leader in bells/whistles
Just trying to make it comfortable and have what makes it necessary for a daily driver.Or i should say what i feel is needed. Stopped driving my Xterra after getting the V so i gave it to my girlfriends son. Have added a few more bells and have a few whistles waiting for me in the garage.Not able to list them in the signature area i've used up all the space thats provided.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-21-2010 at 06:57 AM.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
It will be 99% a commuter back and forth to work (50 mile round trip, no interstate but mostly divided 65mph highway). I try to take at least one mc vacation a year. I am 5'10" and 215lbs. The V is just about a perfect fit. I think part of it is I am coming off of a Hyosung and now I want ALL the bells and whistles. Wisdom says wait for that to pass and buy what is smart. I am concerned that either way, I'll just wish I had the other. The grass is always greener, you know.

I've not sat on a Multistrada yet. I may try to avoid that at all and at least, be in the not completely stupid expensive category.
What model Hyosung are you coming from?

What bells & whistles are missing from the Versys you are seeing on other makes & models that you are wanting?

When I looked at the Versys, I knew there was some things that were on the "must have" list to be happy with it. All of it was less than $1K so even adding that into the price, I think I have a better bike for less money than what I could have spent on the BMW.

There is no doubt the Multistrada is a nice bike, but after talking to a buddy of mine who has owned three Duc's and the cost of maintenance the Versys was even more appealing to me.

It also may not be a deciding factor, but I would just check insurance prices too between the models.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM

If you have the money, go for the Ducati, ride it a few months, then trade in for a Versys before the MS need a service.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM

the bmw and ducati are nice bikes, you can't do wrong there if you have the money. if i had the money i would probably have bought an aprilia shiver instead, but i'm very happy with the versys.

there are alot of factors that make a motorcycle fun. how it looks, how much it costs, how much work,how it fits you, etc. But the biggest factor IMO is how it rides, and the versys rides like butter. the only other bike i had that was this smooth was my weestrom.

See if you can test ride the versys. I know you can test ride bmw and ducati. then decide.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 AM

and by the way, you shouldn't try to make yourself fall in love, you'll always be wishing you had bought the one you loved. Buy that one. life is too short.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
and by the way, you shouldn't try to make yourself fall in love, you'll always be wishing you had bought the one you loved. Buy that one. life is too short.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM

If you really plan on using the bike as a commuter 99% of the time you should get the Versys. The Multistrata is not only much more expensive to purchase but everything else is too including maintenance, insurance, parts, and gas mileage. BUT: It also sounds like you want a bike for fun so recheck your REAL priorities and then decide. Remember that a bike used as a commuter 99% of the time is just an appliance and a 250cc scooter would be even better than the Versys in that scenario.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Definately buy what moves your heart. I bought my '08 V new to get a more commuter friendly bike from my KLR due to a change to all interstate commute from 90% back roads. I loved the KLR but the V made the most sense, fit the best and I did love the performance. Sadly I just can not fall in love with the look of the machine so it has sat in the garage covered with a sheet. This year I've put a whopping 200 miles on it with no desire to take it out for more. I've decided that I'm going to definately sell it, probably post it this weekend after I get some photos of it.

So the moral of the story is, as everyone has said, spend the extra if you need to (and can afford to) to get exactly what you want. Otherwise you are wasting your purchase price. After the V is gone I'll probably start looking for a used KLR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode