First versys experience - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First versys experience

Greetings: I just joined this site in order to get more info on the Versys. But first, I must tell you about my first experience today after seeing the Versys for the first time.

I was out at a local dealer today looking to get re-interested in getting another bike after not having one for a couple of years. Looking at the used section, I found a 2009 Versys (green) and took a seat. First impression:

WOW!!!

It just felt great! I also sat on a Ninja 650 that I also liked the seating position, but there was just something about the Versys that spoke to me. I almost wanted to purchase it without even a test ride!!! The weather was way too hot, so I told the salesman that I wanted to first check out the versys to see what I could find on the bike. Hence, I found this site-great!!

Additional impressions:

Not too heavy
Great seating position
Good Looks
Nice instruments

Well, I just needed to vent this to people that would understand and also ask if these are the feelings that you had when first introduced to the Versys?

Question: I understand that there are some nice upgrades on the 2010 from the earlier years (mainly rubber engine mounts and front light), and wanted to know if these are worth the extra money. 2009 models are much less money now and there seems to still be some leftovers.
Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
save some money grab an 09 and spend the savings on riding gear or farkles. the only color for the 2010 here in the states is butt ugly black.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
First of all KevinSC,

first point was looking for a bike to replace my BMW 650 GS that had high KM's, Local dealer said test ride a green Versys, had never heard of it. Was convinced what I wanted right then, to curt a long story short ended up getting a 2nd hand orange 08 with 4000km on it for 2/3 price of a new one 12 month's ago and have not looked back since.

Your question to compare 2010 with the prevous models, my personal view is I hate the depreciation money you lose by buying new and in my opinion extras of the 2010 are not worth the extra cost on the deal you can get 2nd hand.
Cheers Phil

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply! I did not know that the 2010 only came in black. The used 2009 one I saw today was green. It also comes in blue and red for 2009?

Also is there any real advantages to the rubber mounting on the engine vs the other? Since I haven't had a chance to test ride any year I don't know. Are there any other changes that I don't know about that you Versys owners know about? And, are these changes worth the extra money? I already have riding gear and bags.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM

I bought a green 09 Versys (used, just 22 miles) Saturday. The 09 V is a LOT of bike for the money right now. I agree with the posts above -- save money on the bike and get some nice farkles.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Do you mind me asking what you paid for your used 2009? The dealer said the price was $4995. I don't know how many miles it had, but he did say that the gentleman just bought it and took it to the mountains and brought it back. He needed more power (large man) and he traded it right back in for a Concours. I would guess that it does not have many miles on it though.

Question: the salesman said that the Versys has a gear light on the dash that tells you what gear your in-is this true??
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM

I went the '09 route as well (blue), and am loving it. What I'd like to know is: can the '10 improvements (pegs, mirrors, mounts) be retrofitted, and would it be worth doing?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Garage
they changed the looks of the fairing, windscreen,mirrors and a few rubber mounts and i believe a few minor things. oh yea the front fender also.not enough difference in the bike in my book to pay the extra money and i like the looks of the pre 2010 models. one thing also the tank on the 2010 is a matte black doesn't match the black on the rest of the bike. not a good look at all but some here seem to like it

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininSC View Post

Question: the salesman said that the Versys has a gear light on the dash that tells you what gear your in-is this true??

if theres a gear light indicator it was installed by the previous owner.doesn't come stock. if its a GLPRO unit they run about $150.00. on the photo its the blue 0 for neutral on the left side of the guage cluster

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Kevin, you need to test ride the V as most of us here will tell you how great the wee machine is but we are biased and if you do test ride please give us feedback on what you think.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi all,

I got a good deal on a new '07 in Alberta last weekend and have to agree with many other posts on this forum-this is one fun bike to ride. I've owned three motorcycles prior to this one (GS 400, GS 750, KLR) and the Versys is the best ride, by far. I haven't been able to get the smile off my face in four days. Hey, even my teenage kids think it's cool! I'd look around for and older model in good condition. Save some bucks and enjoy the ride...

Cheers
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM

I actually bought mine without a test ride. They didn't do test rides Bought the fast mean green one!! Best thing i ever did! Rode a new Victory the other day, was comfortable, but BORING. Every time I ride the green b*tch she excites me, it is never boring and I am enjoying/having fun when I ride!
If you can test ride, you'll be sold. My V actually talked to me every time I was in the dealership till I bought her
Also

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM

in the US 09 models are green or blue. no gear indicator. 5k may be too much for a used one, you may be able to track down a brand new 09 leftover for that price depending on where you are and how far you will go to get it. used should be about 4500 or less. one thing you may want is a seat, it tends to slide most people forward. fits some people better than others. I just got one 10 days ago and i really am loving it except for the seat. some people are annoyed at the vibrations, but they dont bother me much. it's just such a smooth cruisin bike and feels so nimble in the turns. plus i don't keep lookinng down and finding myself going 95mph like on my tiger. the versys is just fun to cruise around on at more normal speeds without getting crazy. Find yourself a good deal on a 09 and get to cruisin, you'll love this bike!

BTW, cycletrader.com is a good resource for finding dealers who have leftover 2009 models.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM

I have 30+ years of dirt bike experience, finally decided to try a street bike. I didn't like the hunched over riding position and the swept back footpegs that sportbikes had, and I didn't want to ride a 800 pound couch with loud pipes so I ruled out cruisers. The only other option it seemed was a dual sport like a klr or a xr 650, but after riding performance off road bikes all my life, those bikes really didn't interest me. Because I am 6'2" I did a google search for "motorcycles for tall riders" and It seemed most people recommended the Triumph Tiger, Suzuki Vstrom, and the Kawasaki Versys. So I researched those 3 bikes and when I saw the Versys, I remember saying to myself "Holy crap they made that bike for me!" Because it's my first street bike I have nothing to compare it to, but it does everything I need + more. I love this bike!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 AM

I would definitely push for a better price. If you look you can find a lot of new ones for that price. I have seen several used 09's go for around $4,000. If you are willing to drive a little depending on where you are, you can save a lot of money.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 AM

I too didn't test ride and bought the fastest green one.

Coming from small supermotos (XR250, D-Tracker), I immediately loved the feel Versys had been giving. The only downside is it's relatively heavier than other 650 street/naked. But, you can't have it all.......

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininSC View Post
Do you mind me asking what you paid for your used 2009? The dealer said the price was $4995. I don't know how many miles it had, but he did say that the gentleman just bought it and took it to the mountains and brought it back. He needed more power (large man) and he traded it right back in for a Concours. I would guess that it does not have many miles on it though.
I paid $4,295 for the bike and $110 for the doc fee, plus tax and license.

Incidentally, I stopped by my local Kawasaki dealer today. He looked up the VIN, and said that the original owner had placed the bike in service only a month ago, so there is still nearly a year left on the factory warranty!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you back to bikes after some break, get something that doesn't hurt your pocket. Versys 09 is as good as 2010 model- minus some upgrade.

Take a test ride and get the feel.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 AM

My '09' is my first ever motorcycle.
Spent a year researching.
Sat on dozens of bikes...nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing felt right or grabbed me. (though my second choice would have been the little 500cc Royal Enfield...sounds fickle I know but...Hey!..it's all about the passion, right?).
I crossed upon the Versys MOTY article in 'Motorcyclist Magazine'...which lead me to 'our' forum.
spent a few weeks lurking then came that fateful day last October 2009.
I went to my dealer......sat on the bike and, and, and, beyond all hope.....
The Versys felt right. better than right...she felt PERFECT!!!

OMG!!!! 6000 miles later and I love my bike more than ever.

Kawasaki really did something.....miraculously wonderful!... when they put together our lil scooter. ( a rare thing IMHO ).
(and I can't help but think that in years to come the KLE-650 will be looked upon as a benchmark in motorcycle design).

So, in the end....patience, research and most of all, everyone here at the best forum ever helped me to make an informed decision.
...and while I'm at it...thanks again my brothers....you cats is the best.
(Special 'shoutout' to 'Bear'...he he he ...for egging me on to 'pull the trigger).
FYI...I got 1500 off list price (not to bad a deal though if I waited till now I could of saved a bundle) cuz it was end of season here in Michigan...no regrets...cuz if ya wait forever...all you have to show for that is.....nothing but a pocket full of cash.

So I say go for it.....get the first Gen '09' mean green... Buy a piece of history in the making and ride baby ride!
Cuz life is short....but not too

Be well.
ride safe.
ATGATT Always.
Peace.
OK...I'll shut-up now.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-21-2010 at 07:14 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

I love your passion stagehand it is very addiictive apart from your colur problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode