Really enjoying this - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Really enjoying this

Well, after the rocky start with the overly tight shift fork, and having to wait almost two weeks over that between getting a trailer to get it to the dealer to get it fixed, and getting the time off work so I could go pick it up before closing time, I've actually been able to enjoy the bike a bit. I also did an oil change, so that's all good for now. Although the weather has been oppressive between heat and rain, and I haven't been able to go put 1k miles on it in a day, I've been spending some quality time with my Versys when I can.

I just got home from a little 60 mile ride (which puts me at only 341 miles - barely a sneeze in a hurricane). Oh, I wish I could just quit my job and ride all over the place full time. I'm really enjoying myself!

Turns where I get to really lean feel so intoxicating. And the bike just seems to want to lean and pull me into it's magic spell without me even asking.

Also, even though it's been a while since I used to ride, it came back pretty good. Of course, I will always try to improve my skills, don't get me wrong. But it's nice that I don't have to think about controlling the bike; my body remembers, and that leaves my mind free to just contemplate human behavior in the form of studying the people driving around me so I can avoid getting smooshed or cheese-grated.

I haven't gone nuts with the throttle yet... I was a bit unsure about engine break in and all that... I was contemplating taking something of a "motoman" approach to break-in, but after what happened with the transmission, it was impossible since I rode it really lightly to get it home, and they put about 10 miles on it testing it when they fixed the transmission. So when I got it back, it already had 20 miles on it. Maybe not too late for motoman break in, but I went semi-easy from there, since my understanding is that you have a very short time on a new engine to do that kind of break in.

Well, by "semi-easy" I mean I *tried* to follow the manual (which says stay under 4k rpms for the first 500 miles). But, I failed. I took it a few times (4 or 5 times?) to 5k rpms from about 3k, and let it engine brake back down to 3k, with about 3/4 throttle randomly at times... and after I had about 200 miles, I took it on the freeway one night... couldn't resist. I tried really really hard to stay at 55mph (about 4k), but I found myself throwing it up to 6k or 7k and letting it engine brake down to 3k several (maybe a dozen, eep!) times. And today... I had a lot of speed variance, but, a lot of 3-5k RPMs. Bike just runs with a lot less authority in the super low RPMs (under 3k) and I keep feeling like I'm going to lug it (I know, crappy excuse for higher RPMs).

I really, really am restraining myself from using even more RPMs. Once it's all broken in and I can do anything I want, I don't think I'll be redlining it very often (maybe once or twice just to see how it feels), but I definitely will be up much higher in the rev range when I want to enjoy myself. I don't see myself being a speed demon (75 on the freeway where it's 65 speed limit is probably the fastest I'll go), but I do see myself enjoying the higher rev range at any given speed.

But all that isn't why I posted. I just posted because I've still been lurking here and reading things (yay!) and enjoying without saying anything. But today, I had such a fun time out there. So many other bikers waving, and I smiled every time I waved back, thinking "wow, now I know what the secret is! FUN!!!"

Yea, my riding jacket was stuck to my skin and my shirt was soaked with sweat (I don't deal well with heat, and it was over 90 today), but it was sooo much fun. My wife is amazed/upset that the only thing I'll actually go out in the heat for (with a smile) is the bike!

SOOOO glad I took the class, got the endorsement, spent some savings for a nice bike, and braved my wife's "you'll shoot yer eye out!" resistance.

But I'm even more glad I picked the Versys. I was really kind of nervous about picking a bike without really knowing anything about bikes and not having ridden for years and years, but it's turning out to be everything I was hoping to get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Congrats on the new bike, riding, and everything else that comes with it! You and I are in somewhat of the same situation (new to it all again). I contemplated the break in aspects and while I didn't go all out with the Motoman, I didn't keep it low either. The bike is great and a lot of fun. I don't like this weather though, doesn't help for riding.

Not working would be fantastic! I dream of a RTW retirement, that would be nice.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohrt View Post
...I just got home from a little 60 mile ride ... Oh, I wish I could just quit my job and ride all over the place full time. I'm really enjoying myself!
And Iím enjoying your enthusiasm...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad that you have something to smile about and
on your ride. Take it easy and safe ride.

ATGATT.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
+1

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
After all your earlier troubles must be good to get down to the business of just riding, all the best dohrt.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post

Me too!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode