The swarm is coming... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By silviefox
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

The swarm is coming...

Not technically Versys specific, but this upcoming year is my regions for the 17 year cicada swarm. The last time it was here I hadn't yet gotten my first motorcycle. We still do get stray ones now and then, they're part of the reason I only wear full face helmets now...lol.

I just wondered if anyone has yet experienced trying to ride with the swarm out? To be honest I'm pretty intimidated, especially on rural roads. I ride ATGATT, just...I don't wanna stop to clean my facemask every 5 miles, lol.

Anyone have stories, or anything about them?

Here's a brood list, if you wanna know when they're coming for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Garage
Get yourself a butyl based cleaner to clean the bug guts up with. Thats what they use to clean blood and bug guts up with. It breaks down the protein in the blood and gut juice.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
cling wrap your visor and you dont have to scrub it
chadams66 and 1stversys like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM

Garage
Butyl will ruin a visor as will the ammonia in window cleaner. I ruined a visor this way. It destroys the coatings on the visor and will make it yellow and hazy with a few applications. Best to coat your visor with Plexus. It provides a wax layer the bugs won't stick to.
DaveC and chadams66 like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Plexus before you ride..and to remove the bugs after you ride...I ran into swarms of bugs in Florida while driving in a car...I would not want to do that on a bike...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:58 AM

spring summer fall here we get massive swarms of random bugs (low flat wet land) I just put a damp cloth on the visor to soften the bugs for an hour then they wipe right off.

the last cicada cycle I lived through was in 2004 during my wedding. thankfully they had mostly died off by then or the noise would have been intolerable for an outdoor wedding. not sure if it was the 11, 13, or 17 year cycle. there are the regular annuals every year, but their numbers are low.

Last edited by kohburn; 12-29-2015 at 06:03 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM

Lemon Pledge......cheap ...available. Works well on your windshield and face shield without harm. Been using it for at least five years now.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 06:59 AM

Bummer, AZ isn't on the list.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 AM

I use the Lemon Pledge as well, too cheap for Plexus picked up a cheap glasses cleaning kit at Wally World to carry on the bikes, a small bottle of cleaner and a Microfiber cloth. Works great for the SPLATS! I then found a little "Rapid Transit" bar/triple tree bag to carry it all in.

Full helmet with face shield down. Tall wind shield and jacket and gloves. Them suckers are hard as a rock and leave a mark. You might want to wear long pants and leave the shorts at home as well.

Here's "Kit" on the KLR

You can see where it straps to the bar clamp on the Versys here.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I ride everywhere in long (mesh in summer) riding pants anyway, same/same jacket. All good info on the visor as well. I'm hoping to upgrade my helmet before summer too...this CL-16 ain't cutting it so well. I ride with a small tank bag, although that little bar bag is pretty sweet too, I dig it. I have a tall windscreen too.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Thanks everyone. I ride everywhere in long (mesh in summer) riding pants anyway, same/same jacket. All good info on the visor as well. I'm hoping to upgrade my helmet before summer too...this CL-16 ain't cutting it so well. I ride with a small tank bag, although that little bar bag is pretty sweet too, I dig it. I have a tall windscreen too.
google fork tool bag

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 AM

All I would say is wear your gear....I have actually pulled bug parts out of my skin. Having a leg stuck in your hand can really hurt and be itchy. I have hit birds on a bike before but I swear that big bug hurt worse then the birds.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Biz

We had the unholy trinity of 3 different species of cicadas erupting at all the same time a few years ago. Biblical proportions! Riding through them was like the video game 'Asteroids'. It was brutal cleaning them off, but was somewhat entertaining dodging them.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

We had large amounts of them 2014/15 but we're OK now 'till 2024!!

Maybe the Mexicans could start catching them & frying 'em up for treats for the kids????
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

MANY years ago I was on a highway ride w/ a young lady I was interested in, so I let her wear my helmet while I rode bare-headed, sunglasses my only protection.

We were going around 60 mph when I got hit RIGHT between the eyes by a 'bumble-bee'...! ALMOST knocked me off the bike, and I had bug-guts around and IN - BOTH eyes....

ATGATT!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode