Hauling Laptop - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hauling Laptop

What do you all use to haul a laptop? My work computer goes home with me most days, so I'm wondering what others use to haul theirs around. I've used normal backpacks in the past, however am a little uneasy with its safety if the worst would be to happen. Laptop is small, so weight is not a big issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Don't haul my laptop around but mine does have a soft carry case that would give it plenty of protection which would be good to put inside a backpack.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Guy I work with also has a versys and he carries his laptop in a back pack. I carry mine in my top case.Nicce thing about the top case is they come right off and you still have a rack to strap things to.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id backpack it... if i crash a computer is the least of my worries

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I know I should be thinking that, but it's a government computer. It's more important than my life, in their opinion lol
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 AM

Back pack strapped to seat for me
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGreens View Post
I know I should be thinking that, but it's a government computer. It's more important than my life, in their opinion lol
id HIGHLY disagree even if they "care more about the data" then they are ****ed up to start with but even in a wreck im sure even if the laptop is smashed the data would be recoverable... so really when it comes to a wreck that laptop should be the least of your worries, just make sure its safe in transit (not bouncing around) is your only worry

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
My question would be, what is important to you?
The data should be backed up & the laptop is replaceable, you are not (if not to your employer, someone needs you}.
silviefox likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:34 AM

I'm worried about crashing with a back pack on and having the items shift in such away that they do more damage to my body.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I'm worried about crashing with a back pack on and having the items shift in such away that they do more damage to my body.
im all my crashes ive never had a problem, and i carry tools (screwdrivers pliers allon keys and hand socket wrench), a pistol and clip in a holster, a few lighters and dog biscuits. plus what ever im hauling for what ever im doing(mostly shopping).
but i also try to avoid hauling such things as glass jars or spikkie things in a back pack

yes im a guy.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Garage
Goes in my topcase

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I lowsided once with my laptop in my backpack. The laptop was ****ed; back then it was $2000 to fix the bike and $1000 for a new laptop. After a while I fixed that laptop, found someone selling an empty case (they had gutted the laptop after the MB failed) and I got a new display off e-bay.

Either way my laptop is always on my backpack; If I commute on the Versys the laptop/backpack goes in the topcase, on the sportbike there is no topcase so the backpack is used as a backpack. One change that I've done though is that my work laptop is an X230; a small Thinkpad; at home and at work I have docking stations. I wouldn't want to have a workstation class laptop in my backpack; way too heavy. I also don't carry the AC adapter around; if I'm not working home or at the office I get by with on battery power.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 02:30 PM

If I were carrying my laptop on a daily or almost daily basis, I'd seriously consider a Pelican case made for a laptop with the interior foam. I don't know what luggage, if any, you already have on your bike, but you could potentially attach a Pelican case as luggage if you have a rack, and even if you just strapped it to the passenger seat, it would keep the computer dry and would protect it as much as possible in case of a spill.

I have only transported a laptop occasionally and short distance, and I've used a shoulder bag, but I am not too comfortable thinking about how it could pound me if I crashed. I don't think I want a laptop buried in my ribs.
kohburn likes this.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Garage
on naked bikes, I use the ICON squad II backpack. It has a special compartment for a 14 inch wide screen notebook.

On bikes with luggage, it goes in the luggage.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:03 PM

Garage
Yep I was going to say Pelican case as well, strong, waterproof, lockable, foam padding. Excellent piece of kit.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
If I were carrying my laptop on a daily or almost daily basis, I'd seriously consider a Pelican case made for a laptop with the interior foam. I don't know what luggage, if any, you already have on your bike, but you could potentially attach a Pelican case as luggage if you have a rack, and even if you just strapped it to the passenger seat, it would keep the computer dry and would protect it as much as possible in case of a spill.

I have only transported a laptop occasionally and short distance, and I've used a shoulder bag, but I am not too comfortable thinking about how it could pound me if I crashed. I don't think I want a laptop buried in my ribs.
I've got the same box to be carried inside my Seahorse 720 trunk, with a USB live wire running to from under the seat: for protection and waterproofing. I haven't really used it yet, but I'm ready if and when I do need it. Seahorse bags are like Pelican, but cheaper and are still waterproof containers. The Pelican pc box fits my 15" laptop perfect without any foam. It's the ultimate pc carrier. Of course, for just carrying, I use my Axio hardshell back pack (tested to 150 mph by Yamaha.)

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 PM

Smile

What happens to the hard drive when hauling a laptop on a motorcycle?
I ask because I wanted to carry mine during different trips. A few fellow riders advised me that they had ruined the hard drive in their laptops by doing that. Apparently, although the laptop is powered OFF, the drive parts are still fragile.
I have not carried mine on trips but keep wondering if this can be done safely (for the laptop). Note: It would be carried in the motorcycle top case.
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:05 AM

I'm a tech for a financial institution, I've got as far as hauling workstations on tail seat.

I use a combination of two ROK-straps and a mesh cargo net with 2" gaps. This one. The hooks will clip around the rear handles.

I arrange the rok-straps across the seat with the clips alternated. So like if you look at the tail of the bike, the front clip is to the right side and the rear clip is to the left side. This makes it so that I can do LOTS with them without taking them off, including straight across, X, or front-to-back if whatever is wide.

Here's the best pic I have available, that's a full sized gym bag with a soccer ball in it. Rok-straps are front to back and it's under the net as well. It's rock solid, no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorcycle.jpg (118.2 KB, 55 views)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
What happens to the hard drive when hauling a laptop on a motorcycle?
I ask because I wanted to carry mine during different trips. A few fellow riders advised me that they had ruined the hard drive in their laptops by doing that. Apparently, although the laptop is powered OFF, the drive parts are still fragile.
I have not carried mine on trips but keep wondering if this can be done safely (for the laptop). Note: It would be carried in the motorcycle top case.
Thanks!
If you have a solid state drive then nothing to worry about even if the laptop were powered on.

If you have a mechanical drive, it will be fine as long as the laptop is powered off (sleep mode is definitely a no-no, hibernation should be fine but I wouldn't trust it either).

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Mine has been coming home for a very long time now....rain sleet heat you name it.

I carry mine in what you likely already have. Good ole army backpack. Back before Obama thought it was bad for cops to get old cots for people in floods to sleep on, Hummers to get said people out of their houses and even boats we could get all that stuff surplus from uncle sam....now not so much.

Never a problem...just strap it to the back.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode