How does Versys compare to R1150RS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How does Versys compare to R1150RS

Hey all, I've been perusing this forum for a few months after I decided I wanted to get a Versys as my next bike. I had an 03 SV650 as my first bike and I miss it alot, so much fun and am tempted to get another one but want to upgrade in comfort.

But as the title says, I've always thought the BMW R1150RS was a fine example of sport touring. I've eyed a few on ebay and could probably found a good used one for about the same price as a new Versys. Can anyone compare/contrast the bikes for me as I have never ridden either. I am 6'3'' and have long legs and have sat on an 09 Versys at stores and it felt awesome, very tall bike. Obviously I know the 1150 would rock the V on power and brakes etc because its higher shelf but what can anyone tell me that isn't obvious? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff84 View Post
Hey all, I've been perusing this forum for a few months after I decided I wanted to get a Versys as my next bike. I had an 03 SV650 as my first bike and I miss it alot, so much fun and am tempted to get another one but want to upgrade in comfort.

But as the title says, I've always thought the BMW R1150RS was a fine example of sport touring. I've eyed a few on ebay and could probably found a good used one for about the same price as a new Versys. Can anyone compare/contrast the bikes for me as I have never ridden either. I am 6'3'' and have long legs and have sat on an 09 Versys at stores and it felt awesome, very tall bike. Obviously I know the 1150 would rock the V on power and brakes etc because its higher shelf but what can anyone tell me that isn't obvious? Thanks.
The comfort part may take some work. Lots of us are still tweaking that aspect of this bike, the seat in particular. For things that aren't obvious, the obvious one is maintenance. The Versys has proven to be, for the vast majority of riders it seems, an extremely reliable bike. BMW has a rep for being high maintenance, and expensive when said maintenance happens. That said, if you can swallow that potential pill, pick which one you like better! Love my V, but still hear that ST3 calling my name...

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm not so sure that the 1150RS would out-accelerate the V. I ride with a guy running a BMW 1100, and he's not as quick. His low-end is very good, but as the revs climb, I'm going around him.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM

I haven't owned the R1150RS but did own a 2000 R1100RS - same bike but a weee bit less cc. I put about 30,000 miles on the RS - difference: the riding position - the RS is a very lean forward - lots of people say very uncomfortable. With the BMW R1100RS I had to **** my head back to see forward - Full Face helmet - "uncomfortable" - the RS is not a (Duel Sport). Top speed on the RS should be 115 + Drive Shaft vs Chain - Versys is smother.
Seat on both about the same. MPG on the BMW about 42 mpg @70 mph

CURRENT 2008 Versys, 2006
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Z750S

SOLD 1977 BMW R100/7
SOLD 2006 Aprilia CapoNord (DS)
SOLD 2005 BMW F650GS
SOLD 2000 BMW R1100RS
SOLD 1997 BMW R1100R
SOLD 1996 Yamaha 1100
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Where the Versys scores points in that it is so well balanced. It does everything well. I occasionally cast a covetous eye on Ducatis or Triumphs but there is always something the Versys does better that I won't do without. Price, Reliability, over 200 mile range, under 400lb, ease of maintenance, and all around performance.

To God be the glory.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 PM

It's been years since I've ridden an R1150__, and then it was a GS and an RT, not the RS. I have ridden the R1200RS, which I didn't like a lot.

I also have to say that I don't think the R1150RS is going to be faster than the Versys. It makes more power but it is heavier. It is also much more complicated. Some of the 1150s had surging problems that drove their owners crazy. I know several people who have suffered the infamous final-drive failure, too. Would this particular RS you're looking at happen to have the BMW power-assisted brakes? I personally thought that was one of the stupidest BMW ideas ever. Who needs power brakes on a bike? I know someone who had the R1150RT with the linked power-assisted brakes and when they needed bleeding, the bill at the dealership ran into hundreds of dollars, because the miles of plumbing is so extensive.

I'm not all negative on BMWs, especially the boxers, but don't be blinded by the roundel. You're paying a premium and it's debatable whether you're getting more quality for your money, or just more complexity and weird engineering. All JMHO.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Response

Quote:
Would this particular RS you're looking at happen to have the BMW power-assisted brakes?
No it was either the late 90s 1100s or early 2000 1150s. Thanks for all the input, being 6'3'' would likely really strain me on the Beemer, likely I'd need a 1150GS Adventure but not into that money or modus operandi. Now to decide to try and find a 2009 or wait a little till this winter to nab a 2010.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
The 1150 Boxer is a much heavier bike. Try 125+ lbs heavier. It's a whole different class. It'd probably be as quick if not quicker in a straight line but the V would be much more manageable around town. If you don't find the seat-to-peg distance too short on the Versys and you don't ride two-up all the time then I'd go for the V. Get a used V, even better…

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM

I think you would be happier with the V overall however given your height, I'd recommend bar risers and lowering pegs. Then you have the package.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode