Corbin or Baldwin..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Corbin or Baldwin.....

Which one would you choose. The Corbin comes ready to install, no core charge for around 440$, where as the Baldwin can be up to 699$ not counting a 200$ core charge.
Those of you with these seats please comment.
I was 25 miles shy of a thousand miles in 2 days and my ass/siatic nerve are still sore, has been almost 2 weeks. I def, need a better seat for distance, but which one to get....
Comments....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Re: Corbin or Baldwin

Well, I will be brutally honest here: The Corbin seat looks like a bicycle pad for the elderly with a bad case of hemorrhoids. There, I said it.

Got the Baldwin with gel pad for 550$. Nice sport look, neutral riding position, and very comfortable. And based on what the seat looks and feels like, it's definitely a professional piece of work.

I am sure that the Corbin does the job. What you need to decide is whether or not you want to spend the next several years looking at your bike and thinking “gee that’s ugly”!! …to save 100$.

That’s my 2 cents. Good luck!

(BTW: The Baldwin seat pops right in straight out of the box. Not quite sure what you meant by “ready to instal” when referring to the Corbin seat.)

Last edited by Mac0299; 07-15-2010 at 09:13 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Corbin works for me...had to put a couple of washers under the latch but no big deal.. put it on and took a 3K mile trip with a couple of 750 mile days.. a keeper for me...

2002 BMW R1150RT Titan Silver

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
did 2 days of 700 miles each way in 12 hours each day on my baldwin no sore butt to speak of. my seat is highest priced tall seat gel insert with leather worth every penny

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-15-2010 at 09:41 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM

and the leather baldwin with gel inserts cost about what a corbin costs?

i really don't see how it looks better, but i guess beauty is in the eye of the owner. they both look pretty similar to me. the baldwin actually looks like there is a little ridge at the end of the seat, then the 1 inch they took off the pillon. so is that inch back really used?

i'm unsure which to get, but i think they both are pretty much better than the stocker! not sure how someojne with one can criticize the other unless they have actually had both, or even seen both in person at least and sat on them.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM

too be honest after looking at them side by side for a few minutes on the pc, i like the corbin better for me. not feeling the baldwin. plus i have a corbin backreast already which is nice.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM

I've owned several Corbin seats over the years. They are decent seats for a "one size fits all" type seat. I like a hard seat, so Corbins have worked well for me.

That being said, I just got my Baldwin yesterday. I liked the fact that I could get a "tall" seat, giving me more leg room. I got the gel insert. Loren even asked me my weight and my inseam so he could customize the seat for my height and weight. That's something you won't get with the Corbin.

I got my Baldwin seat very quickly. Every Corbin I've ever ordered took a LONG time to arrive. The Baldwin fit like the stock seat. Corbins typically have to be tinkered with to get them to fit right. They are also VERY heavy.

The Baldwin is very well made. A quality seat for sure.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM

any pics of a leather baldwin? maybe it looks better?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
any pics of a leather baldwin? maybe it looks better?
Here ya go

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2010 at 10:22 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Baldwin. Got the leather with green stitching to match my '09. Looks and feels great. shipped the seat out and got it back in a week. for 550 it's a good deal i think. My rear has never been more comfortable.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 PM

I got the Corbin, and love it - got it in one week, and much more comfy than the stock seat. I think it looks amazing on the bike, so it's definitely an eye of the beholder thing. Also, Corbin will custom fit it for you if you visit them in person - not possible for everyone obviously.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Seat...

Get a Russel Day long, over the years I have had Corbin, Sargant, Mustang and my Versys has a Baldwin plus a sheepskin .
Most over the counter ( internet ordered) maker sell a seat that is one size fits all. Baldwin will make to order and I see some others will if you go the their shops.
Go to the Russell site and you will see that they want photos of you sitting on your bike so they see how you fit. BUT.... they are not the most prettiest looking seat. But your BUTT will love it.
All these seat makers are great products and I hope you get lucky and find one that fits you the best the frist time.

Cb
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 AM

I have a Corbin and a Baldwin. The Corbin is a good seat and solves every problem that the stock seat has, but it is HARD. If you like a hard seat then it would be the way to go. Just be aware that there are some fitment issues with the Corbin. They are all easily solved. IMHO the Baldwin seat is as good a seat as anyone could make from the stock pan and the workmanship is great! I generally use the Baldwin seat now. It is firm, but conforms to my arse much better.

They both make my butt a little sore after a few hours, but the Corbin does it faster. I can throw a sheepskin on the Corbin and ride for a while longer, but it is still HARD. To be fair, everything makes my butt a little sore after a few hours except my office chair (it is awesome).

The Baldwin customer support is great...from what I have read that is not the case for Corbin. Check out other threads on here for more info on both.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Well, looks like i am going to try the corbin seat. If i don't like it, someone may be getting a deal soon! lol

Seriously, i like the hard seat as long as it fits my butt good. and i already have the passenger backrest, which you don't get with the baldwin.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Don't overlook the possibility that a local bike/car/boat seat shop can make you a very good seat for about 1/2 the price of a Baldwin or Corbin. I furnished some pics to my local guy here in Muskegon, MI, and he made a great seat for $250. He had me in to try the seat a couple times as he progressed, so it amounted to a custom job. My Kawasaki dealer was so impressed he thought I had boght a Corbin seat!
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys!! Sounds like the Baldwin is in the lead.

Anyone else?

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
djg

I just bit the bullet on a tall vinyl Baldwin, 6'3" 230 lbs, the stock seat is cruel and unusual punishment.

Thanks to this forum for helping me to spend about 1200 dollars on stuff for my new Versys.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

So am I right in my thought process that on the baldwin the 200$ core charge means they build it on an existing seat and ship it to you whole? If you keep your seat your out the 200$?

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
So am I right in my thought process that on the baldwin the 200$ core charge means they build it on an existing seat and ship it to you whole? If you keep your seat your out the 200$?
Bingo, you are correct. you would be out your $200 core charge, but you would have 2 seats.

I am going for the Corbin, I seen it on Alours green meanie and I thought it looked great. it is a firm seat and it felt like it was a little lower then the stock seat. (i had more of my feet on the ground then on my V with the stock nut buster seat) But the most compelling reasons for me is the back rest for the passenger.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Lets see some more pics of the seats......
At 6'1" 34" inseam I currently can flat foot on the pavement at stops. Will the Tall Baldwin be to much?

2009 Lime green Versys
Fenda Extenda
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode