GIVI rack install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GIVI rack install

Rant on:

I ordered my givi racks and sadlebags from sporttour the other day and the racks arrived last night. The bags should be in today. So i figured i would get a jump on things and install the racks. Let me also say that SportTour was great to deal with.

Here is the problems i had with the kit.

Fair to average instructions regarding install. Came with pictures and instructions, but had parts and instructions that were not with my kit visable on the instructions so it gave some confustion. (i guess these are parts for the trunk kit?)

Racks: Good quality and nice welds, but were a pain to fit. I guess the folded up a bit when they were welded.

Blinkers: The blinker reloacation kit was the worst part of the rack system. First they just say to rout the cable and show a pic of where it should go, not mentioning that the cord will be about 6" too short on one side and 4" too short on the other. Then to top it all off it looks like hell, like the blinkers are just tossed on there by some guy with some sheet metal. I guess i just expected them to include some pigtail conectors to just plug and play the wire length. And i guess it was still too much for them to leave the back end looking good and not unfinished.

Overall the racks are nice and look good on the bike (except the blinkers) I think that givi really dropped the ball on the relocation. I will post some pics tomorrow when the bags arrive.

Time to install racks: 2.5 hours
Rack install pita: 1-10 scale 4
Blinker intall pita: 1-10 scale 7
fit and finish on racks: 1-10 scale 6.5
Drinks consumed: 2 bottles of water and 1 Dos XX

Rant off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 AM

I have installed GIVI racks on two bikes, the fit seems a bit tight everytime. Someone said that not all bikes are welded / created equaly. Things could be off by a millimeter or so sometimes.
As for the signals on the V, that was a pain and poor instruction I think. At first I didn't like the relocation as well, but now with a top Trunk and the two side cases, it all fits well together.
If you are in the market for a top rach, I have a GIVI plate that I didn't need and they won't take back. My fault. Never mounted so it's brand new.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

I don't think i'm going to put a rack on it. I don't like the look of the trunk.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I don't think i'm going to put a rack on it. I don't like the look of the trunk.
I know what you mean. The V was not designed with luggage in mind, and for a long time the wife was against it. She was using soft luggage for a year, thgis year I put on hard luggage and she was happy with the result, then a top truck was added even though she too thought it was Funky. Now she ride with the top trunk only during the week, and when it gets colder or we do longer rides she'll put on the side cases.
It does not look at all that bad once all is mounted. We did go the cheaper route, side cases are from JCwhitney, the top case is a Bestem with brake light.

I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
I know what you mean. The V was not designed with luggage in mind, and for a long time the wife was against it. She was using soft luggage for a year, thgis year I put on hard luggage and she was happy with the result, then a top truck was added even though she too thought it was Funky. Now she ride with the top trunk only during the week, and when it gets colder or we do longer rides she'll put on the side cases.
It does not look at all that bad once all is mounted. We did go the cheaper route, side cases are from JCwhitney, the top case is a Bestem with brake light.
My garage looks similar to your pic also:

Last edited by Jake; 07-23-2010 at 08:57 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
My garage looks similar to your pic also:

I just love your Garage !!!!!!!!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Rant on:

I ordered my givi racks and sadlebags from sporttour the other day and the racks arrived last night. The bags should be in today. So i figured i would get a jump on things and install the racks. Let me also say that SportTour was great to deal with.

Here is the problems i had with the kit.

Fair to average instructions regarding install. Came with pictures and instructions, but had parts and instructions that were not with my kit visable on the instructions so it gave some confustion. (i guess these are parts for the trunk kit?)

Racks: Good quality and nice welds, but were a pain to fit. I guess the folded up a bit when they were welded.

Blinkers: The blinker reloacation kit was the worst part of the rack system. First they just say to rout the cable and show a pic of where it should go, not mentioning that the cord will be about 6" too short on one side and 4" too short on the other. Then to top it all off it looks like hell, like the blinkers are just tossed on there by some guy with some sheet metal. I guess i just expected them to include some pigtail conectors to just plug and play the wire length. And i guess it was still too much for them to leave the back end looking good and not unfinished.

Overall the racks are nice and look good on the bike (except the blinkers) I think that givi really dropped the ball on the relocation. I will post some pics tomorrow when the bags arrive.

Time to install racks: 2.5 hours
Rack install pita: 1-10 scale 4
Blinker intall pita: 1-10 scale 7
fit and finish on racks: 1-10 scale 6.5
Drinks consumed: 2 bottles of water and 1 Dos XX

Rant off.
What bags did you go with? E21's? V35's?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Is your Versys a 2010? I installed the Givi racks immediately after buying my '09 a couple of months ago and while the left side turn signal wiring was too short to reach the relocated signal, the right side was not too short. I don't know about a 2010, but if yours is an '08 or '09, you should be able to use stock wiring on the right side.

Another alternative (not that I'm necessarily recommending this) is to buy smaller turn signals and keep them in the stock position. With my E21 bags, the turn signals in the stock position only stick out less than half an inch too much to fit without any relocation at all. Slightly smaller turn signals would fit with no relocation necessary. However, your signals would not be visible from the side with the bags on, so you'd have to consider the safety factor. But it would allow you to eliminate the relocation brackets you obviously dislike. Personally, to my eye, the black brackets fade into the blackness of the bags, rear mud guard and racks so that they're not very noticeable.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
I took apart my turn signals and shortened the stalks enough to make the relocation brackets unneccessary. Not too difficult; a tabletop grinding belt to remove material is all that's necessary. If you have to ask specifically how to do it, you probably shouldn't try it.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
djg

I just unpacked my Givi PL447 rack kit. The turn signal relocating brackets are different than what is shown on instructions. They are now flat and relocate the signals up and to the rear , about level with the tail light. I probably will go with the Enigma shortening mod.

Ok, thought I'd at least try the new Givi turn signal brackets. I just routed the leads through the body work. I did not try to stow the leads at this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg givi 001.jpg (383.0 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg givi 002.jpg (402.9 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg givi 003.jpg (299.6 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by djg; 07-20-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM

DJG:

One of us has the Givi turn signal relocation brackets reversed.

I'm not saying you're the one who's "wrong," but I like the looks of them rearward and lower better than rearward and higher. This way, they tuck in behind the license plate a little.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

Last edited by motociclista; 07-22-2010 at 09:57 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM

E-nigma:

Good work on shortening the stalks. I considered something like that, or possibly just replacing them with shorter turn signals, but in the end I was a little concerned that the turn signals would be blocked by the bags except from straight behind. Now that you've made the mod, do you feel that is a valid concern?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
E-nigma:

Good work on shortening the stalks. I considered something like that, or possibly just replacing them with shorter turn signals, but in the end I was a little concerned that the turn signals would be blocked by the bags except from straight behind. Now that you've made the mod, do you feel that is a valid concern?
I think the fact that they are more tucked in is a non-issue. The only objective of the rear signals is to indicate my intentions to those behind me that could possibly rear-end me. Someone else 45 degrees to my rear is not a threat, so I don't really care if they can see my signals.

Agree?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 AM
djg

Well duh. Yes, the brackets shown in the instructions are different than supplied, so we users are on our own to interpret how to mount them. I never thought of doing it that way. The lower mount looks good, that will require lengthening the leads I believe.

Maybe this weekend.

Last edited by djg; 07-23-2010 at 06:28 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Well duh. Yes, the brackets shown in the instructions are different than supplied, so we users are on our own to interpret how to mount them. I never thought of doing it that way. The lower mount looks good, that will require lengthening the leads I believe.

Maybe this weekend.
I don't have a picture of mine from that angle, but I must have installed mine the same way you did. They are up even with the bottom of the lids on the e21's.

It's been a while since I put mine on, but seem to recall one of the turn signals did not have enough wire to reach the plug. I think I just flipped sides and they worked, just the color coding of the wires did not match original. Did not see a problem in it though as works fine and did not have to cut the wires to make them longer.

David

2008 Versys
2004 Honda ST1300
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I had to change the way the routing of the left wire went and it worked, what i didnt' like was that there were no suplied extenders, and that in the instructions it says nothing about the wire's being too short. I used the v35 bags. Here are some pics.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 AM

do you mind me asking how much it is for the givi bags and mounts?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM

i like those v35 bags jake. also do they come with the matching green panels or did you paint them? i'm unsure if i would use green or go with matt black. anyone have a greeie with the black v35's that can post a pic?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM
djg

There a a few threads with lots of bag pics, plus the pic gallery.

To answer price question, Givi racks with Givi E-21 bags is cheapest, about 380 dollars. That's what I have. Other larger Givi bags are quite a bit more. Check at sporttour.com and twistedthrottle.com
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
I think the fact that they are more tucked in is a non-issue. The only objective of the rear signals is to indicate my intentions to those behind me that could possibly rear-end me. Someone else 45 degrees to my rear is not a threat, so I don't really care if they can see my signals.

Agree?
I agree about 98% of the time. There's one scenario when the 45 degree angle issue comes into play. Say you're in the left lane of a six-lane divided highway (three lanes in your direction) and you're signaling that you're going to merge into the middle lane. Behind you in the far right lane is a car that plans to merge left into the same middle lane. It would be helpful for that driver to see your signal so you don't merge into a collision.

It's a rare instance, I admit. I'm just a little sensitive about it because years ago I was a passenger in a scary car crash because of that exact scenario. Once you've spun 180 degrees after clipping a semi and are sliding down a highway backwards, facing three lanes of oncoming traffic, it tends to stick in your mind. Maybe more than is reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode