steering bar shimming with two up? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
steering bar shimming with two up?

Hello guys

would like to understand one issue.

Still messing with the suspension preload and rebound, trying to have an ideal setting for 2 up or just one.

For two up meaning 85kg + 55kg + 12kg luggage on top case I did:

Front - preload 5 turns out from max (anticlockwise), rebound 3/4 of a turn out from max (anticlockwise)

Rear - preload 5 position out of the 7 (the max preload), rebound factory setting (5??)

The ride as become really confortable but..

What happened is kinda funny but first time scared me out a bit. When taking both hands of the steering handle (sometimes I do this for a couple secs to adjust the helmet or whatever) the all front started shimming left and right from a slowmo to an almost out of control left and right shim so I had to grab the steering real quick.

Does this mean the front is too light ?
could I correct this with front and back suspension settings?

btw with same settings up front (but one dent softer on the back) this does not happen with me alone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My suggestion is to check the steering-stem nut for proper tightness. (I've had to tighten this on several different bikes.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
What happened is kinda funny but first time scared me out a bit. When taking both hands of the steering handle (sometimes I do this for a couple secs to adjust the helmet or whatever) the all front started shimming left and right from a slowmo to an almost out of control left and right shim so I had to grab the steering real quick.

Does this mean the front is too light ?
could I correct this with front and back suspension settings?

btw with same settings up front (but one dent softer on the back) this does not happen with me alone..
Yes, exactly, the extra load in the rear is making the front lighter and that's why you see a difference. It could be several things. The most obvious would be to increase the rear preload (and maybe also reduce preload in the front) to transfer more weight to the front. Are the settings you mention the same you use when riding solo? Another thing that could be causing this is a slightly loose steering head bearing, it may have enough pressure on when riding solo but when riding two-up it results that shimmy. In that case, take it back to the dealer and have them check the torque on the steering head bearing is correct. I'd try setting the pre-load first, though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some tires are more prone to doing that than others, so this may be a problem you see on the stock tires and would go away without changing any settings on a different set of tires. But since you still have few miles on these, I'd look at some of the other issues first.

Gustavo

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Not normal, they handle well two up - do two up with 55/96kg/luggage etc and although will lighten the front, only really noticable when pulling away, (small wheelie)

Check the pressures, and out of balance front? Sqaured off tyres? FYI - I go one from max preload rear, and in hot weather, both rebounds high to max. Front preload, mid point somewhere?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

thks guys, thks Gus,

I will check the steering head bearing! in fact I will probably double check all the visible bolts and nuts, the lower fairing already lost one. Its sad these semi-thumper twin cylinder bikes sometimes come a bit loose from factory, and I guess the dealer is too busy trying to sell them instead of properly screw in and check all of them!

regarding preload and rebounds if I put them to max or very close to it at least for me would be the same as riding a piece of hard rock..

Still have to learn a lot on the suspension settings!

rgds
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

update;

bearings ok. Was a case of back heavy I think. Next road trip with two up will preload the back close to the max and see how it goes.

Retightened some screws around though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I had the same problem when I drop the bike with Speedy lowering kit. The front was not balanced with the rear in height. So drop the front and did a few setting before I was comfortable with the handling.

I am not sure weather this is the right way, but if your are still having front lightness than trying dropping the front just a fraction and see how it feel. As I say I am not sure of this setting so you must be careful if you intend to go this way.

Hope its of help to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode