Poor engineering of the ignition switch placement - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Poor engineering of the ignition switch placement

I've only owned the bike for a couple day and so far I've enjoyed the experience. However, who on earth thought it was a god idea to design the placement of the ignition switch so far below the handlebar stalk? I mean without turning the handlebars far to the right can I reach for and turn the damn key with a pair of heavy winter gloves on? Geez! I guess I'll have to change my habits and fire up the ignition, then put my right hand glove on! OR! get my 5 YO niece to turn the key for me overtime!

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 PM

Yeah, it's a 'blind-side' accuracy placement, so you have to feel the key hole before you put it in: especially on a centerstand where you stretch to reach it.

Real estate is tight all over the bike!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
1st world problem... put the key in before you get on bike = problem solved

BTW - ignition is in same position like on most bike securely to top top tripple... the problem with adventure and dual sports tourers with an upright riding position is that the handles bars are raised and this hides the ignition.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya money saving is a bitch, its that way due to reusing the same triple tree top as the ninja (and other models) that dont have the rissor that the versys has, i find it best to start the bike then put my helmet and gloves on, 2 reasons , 1 so the bike is warmed up (or most of the way there) by the time i have my gear on and am ready to go, and 2 to defeat merphys motorcycle law

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:02 AM

I want a Remote Starter

Seriously, I hate it as well.. I have an extremely difficult time getting my handlebar to lock as well, I have to fidget with it for like 3 minutes turning the bars and key to get it to lock.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I want a Remote Starter

Seriously, I hate it as well.. I have an extremely difficult time getting my handlebar to lock as well, I have to fidget with it for like 3 minutes turning the bars and key to get it to lock.
get one then, they dont cost much just have to wire it in, you will still need a main power on/off somewere tho. you could get a power mains cut off switch, install in near the side of the seat and leave the ignition key in and on all the time and just use the mains cut off as your key for your on/off

or you could also try slimming down what all you have on your keychain (you should never put a bunch of keys on a bike keyring to reduce wear on the key cylinder. (trust me you dont want it going out, been there done that and it ****ing sucked!)
you could also just go crazy and extend your ignition key so it reaches longer then the riser... tho then it would be awkward to have in your pocket

and as for locking push the key IN and turn it and push your bars about an inch or two from full lock to the left and it should lock nice and easy, (might wanna WD40 the hell out of the stearing lock if it isnt moving smoothly)

yes im a guy.

Last edited by silviefox; 12-02-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I want a Remote Starter

Turn the bars all the way to the left stop,slightly pre-load the key and then turn the bars back to the right about 2-3 degrees.Usually drops right in. That's my method, hope that helps.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:02 AM

I've been riding mine for about six years now and never noticed a problem.
What's the next complaint....the serious lack of coffee cup holders?
Sheesh.
kohburn and 1stversys like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM

never had a problem with location or function
silviefox, Squishman and 1stversys like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Actually, I happen to be quite pissed about the lack of cupholders. I've seen Harleys with cupholders. Why have the Japanese fallen so far behind American cupholder technology?
Lours_Polaire and kohburn like this.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Garage
Sigh ......
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Garage
Never have I had a problem with the key.....
Now when I take my dads cruiser out, I hate the key being down under the seat on the side. I may have accidentally left the key in the on position before and killed the battery......

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
What's the next complaint....the serious lack of coffee cup holders?
Sheesh.
I added an aftermarket cup holder to my Versys but the breeze cools my coffee too fast and in the corners the coffee slops out of the little hole in the lid, creating unsightly stains on the triple tree. Plus, when I try to drink my coffee while riding, it dribbles down the outside of my helmet's chin bar. Clearly there are design flaws on multiple counts. Those who are interested in joining my class-action lawsuits against Kawasaki, Bell, Starbucks and Shanghai Plastic Cheap ****, Inc. (manufacturer of the coffee cup lids) should contact me via PM.
silviefox likes this.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM

Garage
Did someone say cup holders ?????

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Did someone say cup holders ?????
For some reason, not quite the videos I was expecting from you based on your written text...

'09 Versys
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
For some reason, not quite the videos I was expecting from you based on your written text...

Is this more like it......

Kawasaki Versys by Faster and Faster, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Actually, I happen to be quite pissed about the lack of cupholders. I've seen Harleys with cupholders. Why have the Japanese fallen so far behind American cupholder technology?
look at goldwings

yes im a guy.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 AM

I know cup holders would be a nice improvement, But what I really want is a Vibrating Seat to keep me awake on long rides.. Oh Wait I have that!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM

Poor engineering of the ignition switch placement

Quote:
I know cup holders would be a nice improvement, But what I really want is a Vibrating Seat to keep me awake on long rides.. Oh Wait I have that!

I want my money back. My bike didn't come with a vibrating seat. But it does come with a cup holder.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1449147884.219871.jpg
Getting back to the O P, risers seem to give you more room in the key area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by E327; 12-03-2015 at 07:17 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Is this more like it......

Kawasaki Versys by Faster and Faster, on Flickr
Absolutely!

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode