Versys Brakes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Brakes

If you ever rode a bmw R1200 series bike (amoungst others.) You would know what motorcycles brakes should be about. Squeeze too hard and you could be catapulted like an F-18 off a carrier deck. In my opinion, the versys is a dangerous bike in this aspect. Even though you have a small motor, it is very easy (at least for me) to over ride the braking ability of this machine. Therefore, I am having serious confindence issues while riding. What terrifies me the most is the person not paying attention that pulls out in front of you.I simply dont feel i can get this bike stopped in time. Sure, the dealer brags about "Ninja brakes" being on it. Frankly that is all a bunch of bull**** because these brakes suck.
Question: Would Galfer pads help? maybe new lines?

Talk to me folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM

I have BMW's and the Versys stops just fine for me.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Mines o/k but not a scratch on my old thundercat

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM

When I got Speedy's lowering footpeg blocks installed, I did not adjust the rear break pedal - and, at least to me, it made a huge difference. No more pointing my toe to the ground to get more power to the rear break.

You might try adjusting the rear break pedal to start higher. I know it may sound silly, but it truly made a difference for me in how the rear breaks felt.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM

It sounds like you need two things: forearm exercises and English lessons. But here I am just being an a**hole. Note to self: no posting after likker.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
It sounds like you need two things: forearm exercises and English lessons. But here I am just being an a**hole. Note to self: no posting after likker.
I would tend to agree, you are an Asshole.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Sure, the dealer brags about "Ninja brakes" being on it. Frankly that is all a bunch of bull**** because these brakes suck..... Talk to me folks!
I came off of a Suzuki C50. The V stops on a dime compared to my cruiser. I am most pleased with the brakes on the V.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 PM

I believe the rear brake pedal engages in a low position. However, given the tendency of the bike to skid the rear tire when stopping hard, that is a good thing. I rely on my front break for stopping and the rear to decelerate or holding the bike while stopped in a hilly terrain. I believe the breaks on the V are fine.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM

usual race setup lines, EBC's etc, ( going to SBS roads next ) Personally I increase the span by bending of the levers to get a two finger strong pull without trapping fngers. Either way, becomes more go faster/two up capable. and fade free/progressive. Even my K6 thou doesnt do that.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
If you ever rode a bmw R1200 series bike (amoungst others.) You would know what motorcycles brakes should be about. Squeeze too hard and you could be catapulted like an F-18 off a carrier deck. In my opinion, the versys is a dangerous bike in this aspect. Even though you have a small motor, it is very easy (at least for me) to over ride the braking ability of this machine. Therefore, I am having serious confindence issues while riding. What terrifies me the most is the person not paying attention that pulls out in front of you.I simply dont feel i can get this bike stopped in time. Sure, the dealer brags about "Ninja brakes" being on it. Frankly that is all a bunch of bull**** because these brakes suck.
Question: Would Galfer pads help? maybe new lines?

Talk to me folks!
My first bike....so i have nothing two-wheeled to compare it to.
However, I've found myself in a bind (pun intended) due to mindless cagers and i have to say INHO braking performance is dependable, predictable and very controllable.
however.....
Subjective opinions aside....many here have upgraded to braided lines and saw a marked improvement in braking control.
I indeed plan to do the same.....next farckle on my short list, as a matter of fact.

as far as pads are concerned...I'll try an upgrade when it's time to replace the factory units.\

Peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 PM

The v stops well for what it is. You could get some more braking power by upgrading the master cylinder and pads.

What your not looking at is most of the bmw bikes come factory with some top of the line parts, like brembo master cylinders and calipers. So for the price point the versys is great. Upgrade the parts on the versys and you will still have less in it than in the bmw.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 PM

I really don't like the "mushy" feedback that the stock brakes give. Geez, my mountain bike has better feedback! I have read and been told that this is largely due to the lines and brake fluid used in the stock setup. Switching to DOT 4 or 5 fluid and braided lines is supposed to help with that. I am going to do that upgrade and plan on replacing with better pads when the current pads give up the ghost.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Garage
I can tell you that I can lock either the front or the back brakes on the Versys quite easily. After that it is all rider aptitude, isn't it?

This is my first bike in any real sense. I think that the brakes are fine, but I would really like to have ABS available. An acquaintance recently lost a lot of his leg after running into a left-turner with his daughter on the back of his bike (she was hospitalized but fully recovered). I have wondered about whether I was able to brake hard enough in an emergency situation after this incident. I do know that I have locked up both the front and back and have (somehow) recovered - the Versys seems to be a pretty forgiving bike.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
DBL

The rear brake feels a little weak IMO on my '10 but I use the front brake 90% of the time and with over 2000 miles, I'm used to it.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 PM

I put on steel braided brake lines and HH pads. The brakes felt a little wooden in stock form, but worked fine. With the lines and pads, they are better....still not stellar.

I can, however, lift the rear tire off the ground in hard braking, so the perception of the brakes being "weak" really isn't accurate. It's more of a "feel" issue. I've not had them fade or fail to stop adequately.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Hi guys

Installed hel brake lines plus oil dot 5.1 (very important, much more compressibility). Donīt know about the master cylinder, as if either larger diameter or smaller diameter would tend to either reduce the course of the lever versus the power. For that matter factory cylinder is good enough.
I use one finger on the front lever, stronger braking use 2 fingers. Rear brake course is just fine and brake travel adjusted a bit higher (2 turns)

Very happy brakes like hel (hehehe)

set the front rebound half turn anticlockwise to further absorb the braking first impact before return - that helped to improve the driving line

this on factory pads, can imagine with ebc will perform further admirably.

rgds
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I believe the rear brake pedal engages in a low position. However, given the tendency of the bike to skid the rear tire when stopping hard, that is a good thing. I rely on my front break for stopping and the rear to decelerate or holding the bike while stopped in a hilly terrain. I believe the breaks on the V are fine.
+1!
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM

lost in translation?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninogui View Post
Hi guys

Installed hel brake lines plus oil dot 5.1 (very important, much more compressibility). Donīt know about the master cylinder, as if either larger diameter or smaller diameter would tend to either reduce the course of the lever versus the power. For that matter factory cylinder is good enough.
I use one finger on the front lever, stronger braking use 2 fingers. Rear brake course is just fine and brake travel adjusted a bit higher (2 turns)

Very happy brakes like hel (hehehe)

set the front rebound half turn anticlockwise to further absorb the braking first impact before return - that helped to improve the driving line

this on factory pads, can imagine with ebc will perform further admirably.

rgds
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
lost in translation?!

heheheh
donīt use online translators just my own writing

would like to watch your attempt to write in portuguese though hehehehehe

Anyway VeeVee speaks my language, sheīs my baby and knows what her father wants hehehe
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
lost in translation?!
HEL Stainless Brake lines work really good. I have a set and agree. I have the race setup, with stock pads.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode