GoPro - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

GoPro

I'm wanting to buy myself a GoPro for Christmas. And I'm looking at the entry level ones around 130.00. I will not be doing any water sports and the like, just an occasional use on the bike and or vehicle. The reviews seem to be favorable for entry level but wanted to see if anyone has use this one.

Thanks.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Banned

Does it come with all the housings & adaptors for mounting it to your bike or crashhelmet because they are expensive!
I have had one for 4 or 5yrs now & they are very entertaining, so l say yes, go for it!

Here's one of my Youtube contributuions;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbOTNY4bQyk

PS, can you show us a link to where you've seen it for $130???
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you want name brand get a drift if you want a go pro get a knock off and save your money, i got a 1080dh gopro knock off for $35 with case and bunch of mount bits......

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if you want name brand get a drift if you want a go pro get a knock off and save your money, i got a 1080dh gopro knock off for $35 with case and bunch of mount bits......
I have quite a few "action cams" from Contour to Panasonic and a few in between.

IMHO GOPRO you pay a great deal for the name. Personally I like the Contour for a helmet mount, Panasonic for mounting on forks and things like that, and a Mobius for putting in places that are really out of the way...they are pretty inexpensive and if it gets lost or a rock kills it not that big of a deal.

I would say do some research....there are much better cameras out there....and I am sure the GOPRO fanboi's out there will be coming off their hinges.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's no good without a link Silvie!!!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
I have quite a few "action cams" from Contour to Panasonic and a few in between.

IMHO GOPRO you pay a great deal for the name. Personally I like the Contour for a helmet mount, Panasonic for mounting on forks and things like that, and a Mobius for putting in places that are really out of the way...they are pretty inexpensive and if it gets lost or a rock kills it not that big of a deal.

I would say do some research....there are much better cameras out there....and I am sure the GOPRO fanboi's out there will be coming off their hinges.
agreed , to me a name only means something if there is some kind of quality behind it, drift had there cam at a good price (under $100) and i havnt heard of people having all the problems gopro's have
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
It's no good without a link Silvie!!!!
Full HD SJ4000 1080p 12MP Car Cam Sports DV Action Waterproof Camera Camcorders | eBay
this is the one i got but there is far more out there, they have them in 4k with and without wifi (for linking to your phone for remote view and to link to a remote

yes im a guy.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 AM

Garage
I personally am a fan of GoPro cameras. Part of that is I have the ability of getting great discountsnon buying them.
I currently have a Hero 4 Silver and a older Hero 960 (I think).

I find them very easy to operate, and find that there are much more mounting options to use. I mainly use my cameras for skiing and summer water activities, with limited use on the bike.
I have also had a Drift HD. I prefered this option if all I was going to use it for was a helmet cam, but found it very limited in how else i could use it.

What it comes down to is, what do you plan to use the camera for? What will be the best way to mount or hold the camera for YOU? They all take good quality footage, but the other things is what set them apart.
GoPro definatly has a amazing marketing division!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 AM

I just got a Drift Ghost S which is a bit more on the pricey side than the knockoffs, but they have cheaper models. I have used go pros in the past and they are nice, but i like the drift much more so far. I am going away with mine tomorrow for its first real usage other than testing on the bike and around the yard, but sadly this trip is not on the bike. good luck with whatever you end up with.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM

Garage
I have a Contour and love it, the form factor on the Go Pros was always the sticking point for me.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Garage
I have 5 Drift cameras 3 HD170's and 2 Ghost. Love the Drifts Had a GoPro and hated that thing...Drifts are more user friendly and can be used with what comes in the box for most things unlike the GoPro's......My Video's...https://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001

My Set-Up.....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 PM

I had one of the super cheap clones and hated it. It took OK video but had lots of other issues.

I picked up a Xiaomi Yi, which uses the same ambarella chipset that's used by GoPro in the higher end cams (3+, for example). It's a fantastic piece of kit. The app is great, it has bluetooth remote, wifi, all of it. If you're willing to wait for a boat from china they can be had as cheap as $70. I got mine on Amazon via prime, looks like they're $82 today. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=xiaomi+yi)

For what it's worth, 60fps is absolutely the way to go. The GoPro 4 Hero will film in 4k, I'm an IT and I don't even have a 4k monitor, so whatever. The Yi will do 2k at 30fps or HD (1080) at 60fps.

In source video, 1080p60 is clear enough to see individual gravel pieces in the rumble strips @ 75mph. All of the knockoff cams (Sub-$100) that I know of that advertise 60p actually just take double frames at 30fps, so really not 60 at all.

Here's a little video I did while out smallmouth fishing one day, I'm still working on the best encoding settings for youtube, the source video is much nicer. YouTube tags don't seem to work for me for whatever reason, here's a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Scjs_IPG4
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Garage
Had a cheapie, it was useless, got a Drift Ghost. The Ghost has everything built in for 1/2 the price of a top of the line GoSlow.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Full HD SJ4000 1080p 12MP Car Cam Sports DV Action Waterproof Camera Camcorders | eBay
this is the one i got but there is far more out there, they have them in 4k with and without wifi (for linking to your phone for remote view and to link to a remote
Ordered!!!....it's worth $32 for the accessories alone!

Your order was placed.
View order details. We'll send you an email confirmation soon.
Estimated delivery: Wed, Dec. 02–Wed, Dec. 16

PS, anybody wanna buy an 11mp GoPro with accessories for $50?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies. Got some looking to do tonight.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Ordered!!!....it's worth $32 for the accessories alone!

Your order was placed.
View order details. We'll send you an email confirmation soon.
Estimated delivery: Wed, Dec. 02–Wed, Dec. 16

PS, anybody wanna buy an 11mp GoPro with accessories for $50?
that was my thought as well lol tho i have to say youll wanna sand/file the conections to give them for friction so they dont move and also i know it says it can take a 32 gb card use a 16gb, trust me it just works far better (and the 16gb will out last the battery so get multiple of bolth and swap them at the same time (for long trips or what ever)

yes im a guy.

Last edited by silviefox; 11-20-2015 at 07:43 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM

Has anyone tried a Replay XD? I like the slim design for helmet mounting. Never cared for the box that is Gopro, even if they do take really nice vids.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Garage
Before you guys put your hard earned cash down...Make sure the camera you want will let you use the FOV (field of view) you like. Some don't do 170 FOV they just go up to 127 FOV. The videos you see that make you feel sea sick are done in 127

127 FOV...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1f1-0cwG0

170 FOV..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPKwAaBCM0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post

IMHO GOPRO you pay a great deal for the name. Personally I like the Contour for a helmet mount, Panasonic for mounting on forks and things like that, and a Mobius for putting in places that are really out of the way...they are pretty i
nexpensive and if it gets lost or a rock kills it not that big of a deal.

True, Drift wins hands down for me. So easy to setup and built like a tank. Mount it anywhere in second due to its rotating lens. I have a GoPro 4 and it is a real pain to setup if you mount it on the bike and looks pretty rediculous on the helmet. Additionally, when you have mounted and erected the scaffolding of brackets on the bike itself to obtain the desired angle, the GoPro is let down by vibration transferred via the elbow joints. No problem for the drift.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKPhil View Post
True, Drift wins hands down for me. So easy to setup and built like a tank. Mount it anywhere in second due to its rotating lens. I have a GoPro 4 and it is a real pain to setup if you mount it on the bike and looks pretty rediculous on the helmet. Additionally, when you have mounted and erected the scaffolding of brackets on the bike itself to obtain the desired angle, the GoPro is let down by vibration transferred via the elbow joints. No problem for the drift.
ya i love my drift too ... in the action cam game they got the gold

yes im a guy.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKPhil View Post
I think this is why some places are starting to have laws about mounting a camera on your helmet....that big box sitting there some people think will weaken the helmet in an impact....personally I think it is BS, but I did read that on one of the forums.

Out of all the cameras I have I like the Panasonic....they never really took off but I like the camera being on a cord away from the "rest of the works". The lens is on a tail that you can tuck anywhere.....I had it under my rail buggy on one video.....It might get trashed but your video will be there. Also on things like RC planes you can mount the heavy part with the battery and such in a good spot and hang that lens in places you could never get a gopro or any other camera due to W&B.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode