Windshield Move Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry Windshield Move Help

Hi, I want to raise my windshield. 3 of the 4 hex head screws also turn the piece that is in the black plastic (the manual calls them wellnuts?). Any tips on how to keep that piece inside the black cowling from spinning with the screws would be much appreciated. 2011 Versys 650, Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Hi, I want to raise my windshield. 3 of the 4 hex head screws also turn the piece that is in the black plastic (the manual calls them wellnuts?). Any tips on how to keep that piece inside the black cowling from spinning with the screws would be much appreciated. 2011 Versys 650, Chuck
I used a Allen key and smacked it with a small hammer to break them free. They on't need to be super tight, I think the manual has them at 7 ft/pd But I just tighten until they are mushroomed out enough to grab. I add a smear of oil when I put them back into keep them from locking up on me.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Time, I will try a little hammer action and report back. It is so frustrating that there is no way to reach behind and hold the darn things still. Does anybody have a picture of what these "wellnuts" look like?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Here's a stock photo of a well nut. You can find them at a motorcycles shop in the sport bike part for about $10.00 a bag NOT the $4.00 each Kawasaki wants. So if you mess one up it's not the end of the world. I generally replace them yearly as it less of a PITA than fighting with them as they start crumbling from age and UV rays.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Garage
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Here's a stock photo of a well nut. You can find them at a motorcycles shop in the sport bike part for about $10.00 a bag NOT the $4.00 each Kawasaki wants. So if you mess one up it's not the end of the world. I generally replace them yearly as it less of a PITA than fighting with them as they start crumbling from age and UV rays.

This. I fought with the wellnuts that came with my 2011 V for years before realizing that it's far easier to buy a bunch and just replace when need be. Once I settled in with my current windshield the moving around ended, anyway. That said- you can always plug all the holes with wellnuts to allow you to change windscreen position without having to remove any of them, which can be a pain.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Search Google for M5 Well Nuts - very common.

Just FYI:
THe Kawasaki Well Nuts look like the left on in this image - it has a ring buldge mid way down and this this is good and bad. Good as it hold the well nut in place and bad as it makes it a lot harder to get one out.

Now here is a good diagram explaiing how they work:

Most of the Well Nuts you will buy do not have the ring/buldge in the middle. They are just straight walled

There are 2 ways to get the the Kawasaki ones out...
1) get a small flat blade screw driver, stick it in the hole. Make sure that the blade is wide enough to push against the brass insert inside - then push the rubber well nut into the hole and then spend 5 minutes finding where it bounced ot if it di actually fall out or get trapped inside somewhere - most of the times they fall out!
2) partially screw in your screw so that it grips the brass thread - and while pullilng on the flange try use the screw to wiggle and with a gentle pull. You cann pull it out just by the screw! Doh! this fattens it up and makes it harder... you have to pull the rubber flange out while using the screw to hold it.

I used method 1) above till I lost one.
After buying 20 well nuts with straight side walls - now you can just easily pull them out.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 AM

Got mine at Ace Hardware
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everybody, now I at least know what I am looking at. I will try Times idea of breaking the screw loose from the wellnuts with a little hammer tapping. Any other ideas how to keep the wellnuts from spinning in place and thus the screw is not backing out?? I tried by myself pressing the windshield against the exposed surface of the wellnut to hold it, but with no success. I guess I will call in an extra pair of hands. Any other ways to accomplish this will be appreciated. Chuck

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll bump this up one time. I still only have 2 of the 4 screws out. The wellnuts of the other 2 just spin with the turning of the screw. I have again tried to press the windshield against them, I have hammered the hex key, I even jammed a saw blade against them and they still just turn with the screw. Dare I tried to spray them with some lube? Dare I tried PB Blaster? I am getting frustrated, something this simple should not get this hard. Thanks for any help. Chuck

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 PM

Garage
Never had the problem. Problem with lube is it will probably also make the rubber slip. If you can just get the lube into the thread without getting it all over the rubber it may work.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Might try a cordless drill set on high with your allen, the initial speed might get it free.
Pre-load the shield with a putty knife behind it.
Good luck, I've had problems with them too, not removing the screw but getting the well nut out without destroying them

Last edited by Markie Motard; 11-19-2015 at 05:34 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Garage
Gigitt's advice was good, getting the wellnuts out is easy.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

In case someone happens on this thread, I thought I would tell the final solution. Remember I was trying to get the screw out of the wellnut and could not, I was not having trouble removing the wellnut (yet). This would be easier with a second person. Get a good vise grips and clamp it on the screw from the side (the vise grip perpendicular to the flat surface of windshield). One person pulls on the vise grips and turns the screw, the second person pushes hard against the windshield right around the screw to keep the rubber of the wellnut from rotating. I finally got all mine out using this method. I think I will go with buying new wellnuts and leaving the existing ones where they are in case I want to put the windshield back to position one after trying position 3.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM

I got a six-pack through Amazon...$6.50
Not an exact match but the right size (hole and thread)...work great, now I keep on in each of my holes...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode