Advice on my bottom!?!?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Advice on my bottom!?!?!

Does my bum look big on this 'bike?????

OK, serious bit....l'm 6ft tall, 200lbs, & 63yrs old (going on 12!)
My back will always be a "bad back" because of many "offs" & bad posture, but l need to make my riding experiences less painful even for shorter 100ml day trips, let alone the 350ml+days l'd like to do on a tour of the south (USA) next year.

So, which seat from personal experience for people with similar problems?

I have the Motec lowering pegs fitted, & Goldwing foot pedals have been mentioned, my feet are at the perfect distance from seat to floor at the moment, so l really don't want a taller or wider seat.

Also, has anyone a good back support they can personally recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im 6'2 150# aand suffer from back problems as well and my wallet being tighter then my lower back aftermarket seats are a bit out of my reach, but i found the combination of the rear lowering kit and lowering the front forks in the triple trees about 1-1.25" has helped me greatly

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM

Garage
I went with the Motowerks Risers, Motowerks Highway Peg Mounts for my comfort. I went through 7 seats on the Versys best all around seat for me was the Seat Concepts which is a tad taller than stock but gets rid of the forward slope. For back support this is the ticket....KoolBak - The Absolutely Best Motorcycle/Kidney Belt Money Can Buy

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-16-2015 at 12:25 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM

What *kind* of back problems do you have? I'm 5'8", ~190lbs, my back problems are sacroiliac and lumbar. (Thanks scoliosis!) I wear a Serola belt when it's flared. (This one, but not at this price, holy crap!) And, depending on the day I use my spinal stretch to get a little traction for the lumbar discs. (Again, not that price, ebay is your friend.)

For being on the actual bike, I've found that if I really pay attention to my posture, I'm fine. I'm at 3500 miles on the clock and butt vibes are basically gone at this point. Lots of people recommended me an AirHawk seat pad as well, haven't gone that route yet.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Everyone's going to be different, but here's what I did that works well. I'm 6' also (and shrinking slightly) and I put a Cycle Gear large gel pad on the seat ($60), and then a Coleman atv seat cover ($20) on top (because the gel pad will boil directly in the Sun.)

So the oem seat (and I've got Progressive rear shock but that is only because I'm so heavy) is not bad at all. Like others here have stated, try to grasp the tank with your knees for better posture. Lean forward and ALWAYS lean your head to the rear (like on a 10-speed bicycle). Your most overworked veins and arteries are in your neck, and when you look down, you close oxygen from your blood stream and cell tissues when your jugulars collapse. Keep your back straight and constantly move up and back on the seat (randomly and as comfort dictates) so your spine never settles in and compresses your disc (that is why walking is good on your back.) And with keeping your head bowed back, pin your shoulders back and you will never need a Chiropractor for stress or posture again! (well, if you haven't crossed the 'chronic' line yet)

Good luck.

Last edited by kawdog; 11-16-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 PM

I'm about the same size and age. I had a Sargent seat on my last Versys 650 and was pretty happy with it. I've been looking for another for my current Versys.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks guys, all good advise & any more input is always welcome!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
...So, which seat from personal experience for people with similar problems?
Also, has anyone a good back support they can personally recommend?
I have chronic lower back issues, ever since I tried to lift my TT500 straight up in a mud-hole where it was stuck on the "shovel" skid-plate in a 'groove'....

Lowered footpegs, raised seat front, 2" ROX Risers, and a back-support. Depending on WHERE I am - either a 1970s Malcom Smith, a FOX, or one of those 'over-the-shoulders' ones like they wear at Home Depot, and worn on EVERY RIDE, no matter how short!

Oh yah - 5' 9", 176#, 31" inseam....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
6'4.5"
150kg / 330 lbs

What do I win?

I also have a lower back injury.

My set up:
Motowerks front peg lowering blocks.
Currently running 2" Rox Raisers arma are now horixontal and pain in shoulder is reduced (took off the Motowerks Anti Vibration Raiser but might add it to Rox )
Seat Concepts Heavy Duty Foam and Cover (raised me initially a little bit)

I also wear one of those elastic back support that just velcro around the front when on long trips.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:44 PM

First of all, I agree with Weljo regarding the kidney belt. Excellent addition to the "back care" arsenal.

My set-up is as follows: Corbin saddle, Speedy's foot peg lowering kit, Kawasaki Concours foot pegs (I think that was Weljo's as well), and an Axio tail bag. Some say the Corbin is too firm but my butt doesn't seem to mind at all. It's comfortable from fill-up to fill-up. Looks like this, and works for my 70 year old back and bottom.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
First of all, I agree with Weljo regarding the kidney belt. Excellent addition to the "back care" arsenal.

My set-up is as follows: Corbin saddle, Speedy's foot peg lowering kit, Kawasaki Concours foot pegs (I think that was Weljo's as well), and an Axio tail bag. Some say the Corbin is too firm but my butt doesn't seem to mind at all. It's comfortable from fill-up to fill-up. Looks like this, and works for my 70 year old back and bottom.
I agree with the Corbin seat being comfortable from fill-up to fill-up.

I don't know how bad your back is, but I find back stretching exercises help before a long day in the saddle.

I'd rather play rugby and lose than play football and win.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Garage
I take drugs before I do a long day,,, not after. talkin' naproxin, ibuprophen etc, nothin that makes me dumber than I already am

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 AM

I have had 4 back surgeries in the last 24 months....I know where you are coming from....I also still take happy pills every day to deal with the pain....just knocks the edge off.

As I was told by one orthopedic surgeon "you may just own this"....so you can get things that are the best they can be but that may be where you hit the wall. You might just need to take more rest stops, get out lay out on a table and un-kink yourself for about an hour....this is where having a riding mate helps...if you do doze off it could be bad in some places.

A couple things suggested to me is if you are going on a long ride do some stretching as you can and start to hydrate about a week before....lay off the coffee, tea, cola products.....water, sports drinks if you need some taste....and take it easy on the bourbon. Also think about a camel back to drink while on the road....you shed water like crazy on a bike.

I come in about 10 years younger then you but feel abuout 20 older. You can still do it, but you can't do it like you once did.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Did someone mention to change the pegs for FJR ones????
I found these on Amazon....would they be an improvement?
Someone also mentioned Goldwing pegs but l can't find any.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Did someone mention to change the pegs for FJR ones????
I found these on Amazon....would they be an improvement?
Someone also mentioned Goldwing pegs but l can't find any.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

That would be Kawasaki Concours 14 pegs....

IMG_0768 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

I use Ebay foot-pegs for the Suzuki DR650 on my Vs, and really like them!

I've done a "few" long days....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The Concours pegs do look more "comfortable" & prolly won't transfer as many vibes to yer tootsies!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 PM

How I make long rides on my Versys

I put a Sargent saddle on and like it. Might be a little wide, but I've ridden up to 380 hot miles in a day on it.

Motowerk peg lowing mounts, and their highway peg mounts as well.

Learn a good stretching routine and also exercises to keep your abdomen strong. This makes as much difference as anything.

I rode 1800 miles in 8 day in August and just love my Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode