need help or ideas about seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
need help or ideas about seat

looking for some suggestions or ideas on how to improve the comfort of the factory seat (don,t want to spend the money for a new one as i just bought the bike). I have already lowered the pegs has helped abit but still get sore if in the saddle for any length of time. I would like to take the bike on some longer rides or weekend trips

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I ran with an Alaskan Leather sheep skin and an REI camp cushion under it. Added a little height but I was able to do 2400 miles in 65 hours on it.

Not as comfy as my new Russell seat, but a lot cheaper.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 AM

Seat

After having the seat worked by Baldwin ( very nice seat) I also wanted more comfort and purchased a sheepskin cover as well. WHAT a big improvement, purchase the front strap when you order.

Cb

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Heard an Airhawk cushion is a good buy:
http://www.airhawkguy.com.au/airhawk-cushion.htm

Interesting read:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...ads/index.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Best to get it mod to your liking in a cushion shop,will be cheap and you can alter it. I did mine twice and below is the first mode. Now the seat is nicely broken in and no pressure points.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Best to get it mod to your liking in a cushion shop,will be cheap and you can alter it. I did mine twice and below is the first mode. Now the seat is nicely broken in and no pressure points.

Nice looking seat - how much did it cost? Did you give them pics or just describe what you wanted?

Foo Fighter Rider
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Nice looking seat - how much did it cost? Did you give them pics or just describe what you wanted?
A few pictures of corbin and other seats models and get the basic shape that I want and finally his advise on what can be done with the stock. We did it twice and now i am happy and it cost me about USD 50 all in.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Better Versys seat

I bought an Airhawk. It takes a while to get the air adjusted just right. Less air is better because otherwise you will be doing a lot of rocking back and forth. Rode this way for a while but there was still the forward tilt that many have complained about.
The Aithawk has a zipper and when unzipped the air bladder can be removed. I bought a round foam cushion at a discount store that was 13" in diameter and 2 1/2 inches thick. Tried to pick as firm as possible. Then with a knife I tapered the back 1/3 of the foam. I left the front part at 2 1/2 inches thick. I put this inside the zippered Airhawk with the bladder on top and the tapered part of the foam facing to the rear.
Now much more comfort and no forward tilt! The 13" X 2 1/5 inch foram was only $2. The airhawk purchased on line was $130. I feel like I could ride for days with this combination.
The seat height is raised slightly. I am 6 feet tall and 32 inch inseam and I cannot flatfoot both feet but can 3/4 flatfooted with both feet. Before the modification I could flatfoot with both feet.
The other big improvement is more thigh support. This is really noticeable on longer rides and greatly adds to the comfort level.
However if you are one that slides on the seat to the left and to the right on fast turns this may not work for you.
The Airhawk attaches with a couple of straps that go under the stock seat and can be removed for shorter riders. It is not a permanent modification. But I use it all of the time now.

Thanks
vanguard2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode