'15 preload tool aka for the left fork tube? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scutrbrau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
'15 preload tool aka for the left fork tube?

Stupid question, for my '15 650 LT do I need a special fork preload tool?
I'm used to a 14 socket, and not such open diamante shape lol

Ideas would be great, because my preload is to soft based on the fork zip tie it's button out.

Thanks.... Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-kawasaki-zx6r-120.jpg (58.8 KB, 98 views)

Daily Commuter & Track lover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
2015 650 LT Versys
FZ09 Yamaha
XT250 Honda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHornet View Post

Ideas would be great, because my preload is to soft based on the fork zip tie it's button out.

Thanks.... Cheers
SEEMS to me that I used a coin held in a pair of locking pliers...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:10 AM

I just used a straight blade screwdriver. Worked fine.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM

torx bit???
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:48 AM

A 6mm Allen wrench fits nicely in the center.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:01 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you need the unatanium wrench available nowhere for 12 installments of $1999.99 + S&H

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 PM

This may work for what your doing
Timing Plug Wrench
Timing Plug Wrench | Motion Pro

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 PM

Garage
Anyone able to explain to a numpty like me how/why to adjust this? I have a '15 650,weigh 90kg, and sometime ride 2 up - any change from factory recommended?

Regards,
Ranga

2015 650L
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangus View Post
Anyone able to explain to a numpty like me how/why to adjust this? I have a '15 650,weigh 90kg, and sometime ride 2 up - any change from factory recommended?
I found the front suspension to be set too soft and spongy for my liking. When I'd hit a rough patch of road it felt like a pogo stick bouncing up and down.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the adjustment charts in the manual. Go ahead and tweak the settings a bit to see how it changes the feel. It's easy enough to do and you can return them to the current settings at any time.
ryangus likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangus View Post

To me, suspension setting is the most subjective topic (aside from motoman method, WD-40, Synthetic oil or not, helmet on not ...)

All kiddind appart, suspension setting is a confort thing and handling thing, and sometimes those two line never cross

You'll have to fiddle with the available ajustement to figure out where you are and where you want to be

One things that seems consistant is the SAG, and if you do a chearch on the forum, you will find a few post, if not many, about that
You'll need to have someone with you for ajusting the sag, but from what I could gather, it does a lot of good

LOP
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Yes, before you make any changes to your suspension, adjust the front and rear "sag" first. The "short answer" on adjusting sag is - measure the amount of spring compression - 1) from fully extended to 2) compressed under the weight of you, your gear and the bike. Then adjust the preload on the springs until the static sag is about 30% in the front and about 35% in the rear. This gets the suspension in the best operating range. Then go for a ride. Tweak the rebound adjustments (if available) until it rides the way you like it. See the interweb for details on the procedure.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=GermanHornet;1008673]Stupid question, for my '15 650 LT do I need a special fork preload tool?

I am the least expert here, but I think we missed the original problem here. Poster says he used a 14 socket and in the pic you can see marks on the red piece. Shouldn't he be turning the silver screw inside the red ring and NOT the red ring??? Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 AM

[quote=cjcintucson;1009689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHornet View Post

I am the least expert here, but I think we missed the original problem here. Poster says he used a 14 socket and in the pic you can see marks on the red piece. Shouldn't he be turning the silver screw inside the red ring and NOT the red ring??? Chuck
I took it to mean that he's been accustomed to using a socket on whatever his previous bike was so the setup on the V is new to him.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:03 AM

[quote=scutrbrau;1009705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post

I took it to mean that he's been accustomed to using a socket on whatever his previous bike was so the setup on the V is new to him.
I think you are probably right. Having read it again, I guess where it says "diamante shape" is supposed to be diamond shape, which would probably mean the silver center piece. Thx, chuck
PS: Glad to read the other suggestions about "sag" and other adjustments as I have had my V about 3 weeks and that was the next thing I was going to tackle.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 AM

Garage
[quote=scutrbrau;1009705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post

This is also how I read the OP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode