Finally Rode one - the good and the cons - long read - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally Rode one - the good and the cons - long read

Brief history - last bike was a KZ 1000. Sold it 16 years ago. Took it to the oceans - distance rider. Three kids later, got back into riding last summer with a Vulcan 1600. Over 5K on it since.

Recent history - over the past 6 days, I have taken 3 overnight trips with the Vulcan. Leave home, stay overnight, come home leave the next day - 3 times. Over 1400 miles, so I am locked in to the cruiser / big bore mode.

On the way home from door county today, I stopped at Ken's in Kaukauna to see about riding a versys they've had on ebay with just over 200 miles on it.

For a road worn, lack of sleep old guy, here are my cons:
It's a 650. I know the bike has more in it, but I was respecting the next owner with a decent breakin. Was speed shifting at 5K rpm. The lack of torque really hit home - especially compared to the different animal I have been living on.

That's about it for cons on this short ride.

Pros were abundant.
Extremely light and easy to throw around.

Cool riding position.

Handled downshifts well.

SO darn light and easy.

Each curve made me feel like a racer!

Hit some decent bumps, and I was ok with the suspension.

Clearly, I can't sell the fat, heavy cruiser that my wife loves to ride on so comfortably. I wouldn't even think of asking her to ride for any distance on the back of a V.

For one up riding, adding some panners, and doing some adv riding, I have no doubt in my mind that this bike would get it done for the lowest price of admission out there.

I guess, it was exactly what I expected except for two things - less torque than I expected and way better handling.

Gotta keep the cruiser to keep mama happy. But as a second bike, I could easily convince her to give me a 2 week head start, then fly down to meet me in Cabo ... or Anchorage ...

Great bike - now to swing the funds ...

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and hope you get one and join the gang here.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 PM

All I can say is, you haven't really ridden a Versys until you get over 5000 RPM. I think you'd be pleasanly surprised

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
All I can say is, you haven't really ridden a Versys until you get over 5000 RPM. I think you'd be pleasanly surprised
I second that!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Rik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I second that!
ditto
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah. I believe it. That's why I stated it. I just couldn't get past the karma of messing up some other dude's break in period... The bike had a lot more to it.

Coming off the 1600 though, that lower torque showed. As did all the strengths i was able to find in a short ride.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post
This is why I am being patient with the break-in because I am hoping that my patience will be rewarded well.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
all the best whatever you do
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
DBL

Funds? I traded in my '08 DR650 and paid for the rest with 2 credit cards and my debit card! DOH! My '10 Versys is worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Great bike - now to swing the funds ...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 AM
DBL

Are you still breaking it in? I bought mine on a Wednesday and had it in the shop for the 600 mile service the following Tuesday!

Come on, ride that thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz2012 View Post
This is why I am being patient with the break-in because I am hoping that my patience will be rewarded well.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
4.5-7k is the sweet spot, imo. It's kind of breathless near the rev limiter, and is just loping along at 3-3.5 k.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM

+1 on revving it. It's "happy place" is between 5000 and 8000...after that the party is over.

The only time I really, really, really wish for more power is passing a car on a short straight or heading uphill on a tight twisty road.

I ride primarily with sport bike riders. Obviously in the straights they leave me for dead, but I hang with them in the tight stuff, unless it's a steep uphill, then I just can't get the drive out of the corner I need.

That said, I knew it was a 650 when I bought it. I am coming off an 1125cc V-twin sport bike that I rode entirely too fast. I would eventually get hurt bad on that bike. Power corrupts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 AM

I've been riding a V-twin cruiser for years now and as of a month ago, I picked up the Versys and now have the V-twin up for sale. At some point in the future, I may get a Z-1000 or a Ninja or something but the Versys is my do all everyday rider and I really do enjoy riding it. I've only been able to put a 1000 miles on it so far but I'm working on it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 AM

It seems like you have a lot of fun in your bike

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 PM

I also am comming on an 1100 V-twin to the versys. After putting 4k miles on it in two months including a 1700 mile XC ride through some of the best motorcycle roads in the country...I have sold the cruiser. Lots of torque in that thing.....but it handles like crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode