Replacing Givi plastic with HT aluminum? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing Givi plastic with HT aluminum?

Hi all. I have tried searching through here but with all the information available on this forum it is sometimes difficult to find what your are looking for. If anyone knows where this has been discussed - please tell me and I will go there for more info.
I have the Kawasaki side bags(Givi) on my 08 Versys. I have laid the bike over a few times and they have taken the brunt of the punshiment. To the point where they don't seal well, and frankly they are banged up! I would like to continue using them for around town etc, occasional groceries etc. However I am planning a few trips, Pa to Florida being the first one and would like something a tad bigger, more square (easier to pack I think) and waterproof.
I figured Happy Trail would be the cases to get from a price standpoint and others as well. I Also figure I would need new racks to hold the HT panniers. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount the Givi's on the racks when the panniers are not on?? Any help would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 PM

If I understood the question correctly, you have Givi V35 side cases that you want to continue using when you install the H-T panniers and rack. I think the answer is you can't get there from here. If you had Givi's with a flat back (like an E360) you could mount an adapter plate on the H-T rack. But given the shape of the V35's, I don't think there is a way to mount them.

H-T SU Racks:

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to create an adapter to make the Givi PLX racks work with "normal" Givi bags? I would think it would be a matter of attaching some tubing to straighten out the lower bend. That might then work with other panniers, but it may not be as strong as the H-T or PL447 bars.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I thought I had read somewhere - perhaps incorrectly that someone actually made an adapter for the Givi bags to be used. Oh well. It does look however that I will have to cut the givi racks off the rear grab bars If I want to keep them in place, or order a new set that do not have the racks welded on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcskier View Post
It does look however that I will have to cut the givi racks off the rear grab bars If I want to keep them in place, or order a new set that do not have the racks welded on.
Why would you do that? Offer the rack for sale here (you may not get much if it's beat up, but better than cutting it apart) and look for someone that has a SW-Motech rack to sell you their unused grab handles. I know I have a set that's not getting any use in a box somewhere in the garage...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode