Damn Kickstand - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Damn Kickstand

I figure in five years of Versys ownership I seem to have averaged about 2 tip overs/drops a year which seems kinda high, even for me. I figure high center of gravity of the bike probably contributes to this as once the bike is leaned past ~10 degrees or so it becomes impossible to hold up. My usual scenario for a tip over is to kick the kickstand down when parking but not have it latch in the deployed position and somehow fail to notice this.

Tonight it was dark and I could not see if it was down. When I then leaned the bike over on the stand I found it was unsupported and well, doh... Fortunately the only damage was a scratch to the engine bars, a scratch to the bar end weight and a broken mirror.

In my previous tip over back in May I was not quite so lucky. The engine bars landed on my shorty motorcycle boot ensconced foot. These caused a crush injury that took the bone and soft tissue 3 months to heal completely. There was no injury this time as I was wearing track style boots that have considerably more foot protection.

How about a kickstand down indicator on the dash?

Last edited by twowheels; 11-03-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Yeah, on my side stand, I am constantly kicking the stand forward with my big size 14 boots. I've never had it fall over yet, but I am obsessive about that because side stands bend, flex, and rotate so easily. That's one of the many reasons I like centerstands: they are more rock-steady comparatively.

So when I do use my centerstand, I use my sidestand at least twice to mount and dismount and I kick it at least twice forward and reverse every time (it doesn't stay forward or back up reliably without a couple of taps assurance.)
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 PM

Garage
Never in my 5.5 yrs of owning the bike have I tipped it over like you explain. My thoughts, are possibly how you park the bike. I usually, use the kickstand to turn off the bike. Leave the bike in gear(very little roll when parked, so hard to roll off the stand when transmission is locked) and kick the kickstand down. Off the top of my head I do not know exactly when the bike shuts down as you lower the stand, but I believe it is pretty far, making sure it is out far enough to keep the bike from tipping.
Lours_Polaire, kohburn and ste860 like this.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 PM

Left mine down and nearly drove into a rock face of a cliff. It seems if they can have a safety shut-off switch, then it should be an easy chore to put in an indicator light when down. Ultimately though, it comes down to operator error which is humbling at times. On the bright side, anyone who saw me bouncing along trying to corner left with a kickstand down sure got a laugh because I'm certain I looked like I was having a seizure trying to kick that stand up.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 AM

Garage
Did you disable the side stand switch? How do you ride about with the stand down?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 AM

My kickstand complaint with this bike is actually how small the foot is. I am going to start my next season with a larger foot welded, not by me, onto the bottom. The bike has no stability on gravel, sand, or even grass. I like the foot on the Tenere as its much larger and disperses material better than my stock Versys one.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfedd View Post
My kickstand complaint with this bike is actually how small the foot is. I am going to start my next season with a larger foot welded, not by me, onto the bottom. The bike has no stability on gravel, sand, or even grass. I like the foot on the Tenere as its much larger and disperses material better than my stock Versys one.
Speedy's flat foot to the rescue.
onewizard and hfedd like this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Never in my 5.5 yrs of owning the bike have I tipped it over like you explain. My thoughts, are possibly how you park the bike. I usually, use the kickstand to turn off the bike. Leave the bike in gear(very little roll when parked, so hard to roll off the stand when transmission is locked) and kick the kickstand down. Off the top of my head I do not know exactly when the bike shuts down as you lower the stand, but I believe it is pretty far, making sure it is out far enough to keep the bike from tipping.
this is how I do things - I also park on a ferry twice a day so it needs to be in gear to avoid moving when the ferry is rocking.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
swap on a klr kickstand and spring. done. the foot has about 4X the surface area.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ide-stand.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...kickstand.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...kickstand.html

Last edited by kohburn; 11-04-2015 at 07:58 AM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 AM

I learned to look at the kickstand to verify it is totally deployed. This was after I totally forgot to deploy the kickstand while parking between the cars in the garage and the bike tipped enough to trap me against my car. Fortunately I was able to extricate myself without having to yell to my wife to rescue me!

I have one of those bright orange plastic kick stand pads to toss down on gravel or other soft surface. It was super cheap, and easy to use. There's a string tied to it with a loop to go around the mirror, so it is easy to retrieve and difficult to leave behind.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:46 AM

I'm a newbie for the last three years and always follow the same routine. Put stand down to kill the engine, and watch the Speeedy's flat foot slide the normal 2 - 3 inches. When I mount, the first thing I do is put the stand up, that way I know if I am in the saddle the stand is not down. Good HD friend who has been riding for 45 years recently drove off with his stand down and was in a bad wreck going out onto a major highway. It was one of his older bikes so no engine kill.

The first summer I had the V, without the flat foot I came out to go home and the stand was 3 -4 inches into the asphalt.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 AM

that sucks ... hey, been there ..
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Installed speedys flat foot the first week or 2 I had the bike. Was amazed how much the stand sunk into pavement. I tried of putting things under the stand and forgetting them fast.
hfedd likes this.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...How about a kickstand down indicator on the dash?
AS others have said - use your sidestand as your "engine KILL switch". That way you are also leaving it in "PARK" - as it (generally!) won't roll while in gear; then to really increase protection - always turn the ignition switch to the "steering LOCKED position", as that will help minimize damage IF it goes over.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post

Worked great on the Versys..

On the FJR when needed which is almost never i use this set-up....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-04-2015 at 05:26 PM.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Did you disable the side stand switch? How do you ride about with the stand down?
It was an old bike that never had a safety switch.

Last edited by toofattoridesportbikes; 11-04-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM

You average two drops per year....Yikes....
I've never dropped a bike off the stand or dropped it because I forgot to put it down. I never LOOK at the stand to make sure it's down either. I hook it with my boot and I push it forward until it stops then I let the bike lean onto it with my boot still pushing the stand forward. The only way the stand can fold is if my leg folds first.
Before I leave the bike's side I tug and push on it to make sure it's not going anywhere. And of course I've got a "flat foot" on it because the little pointed toe of a stand from the factory is just a recipe for disaster.

The kickstand safety switch, a kickstand down light and the neutral light all have one thing in common......They don't mean jack****......
Don't get dependent on stupid safety lights and switches, learn to trust your senses and run through mental checklists every time you do anything with the bike, that's how you avoid issues.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
You average two drops per year....Yikes....
Lol, at least one drops his 2 times a month, or more.

I don't leave mine sitting on the side stand since I almost always toss it up on the center stand. But if I do on level ground, it is just for running in the Post Office to check my box. If I leave it temporarily on tilted ground on side stand, it's ALWAY in gear, and I NEVER leave it on side stand for an extended amount of time.

Side stands are just convenient. Any goober walking along attempting to sit on the bike is dangerous. At least with the center stand, it is too tall for most people to straddle; and 6'4" people who could straddle it up on a center stand usually don't do careless things like that.

And with the steering locked to the left, it makes it extra hard to mount from the left, especially on the center stand
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 PM

The seat sits up just a little high for me when getting on. Is the stock side stand strong enough to use the foot peg to hoist you on the bike? Or would you recommend replacing it with a klr side stand? Thanks.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode